• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So. Cal. - Jan. 17, 1994 4:30 a.m.

DesertRat

Perpetual Newbie
Reaction score
NORTHRIDGE EARTHQUAKE

We live about 100 miles from the epicenter yet it woke us up real fast. I remember sitting up in bed and my wife asking me what was going on. I replied "earthquake, and it's a bad one somewhere, probably L.A.".

We immediately called our relatives in L.A. to check on them but couldn't get through. Luckily we had a family disaster plan where we all call my brother in Nashville and check in with him (long distance lines were open but local lines were jammed). Everyone checked in as fine with no damage. We then began the all-day sit in front of the TV and watch the scene unfold routine.

Probably going to be a few sleepless people in L.A. tonight. Why? I don't know, it's just the human psyche I guess.

Where were you when the San Fernando Valley broke?

Danny

100 miles? Pshhh! How about 15 miles?! Woke me out of bed (obviously). Worst one in recent memory. Years later I would attend the university in Northridge, in a brand spanking new building paid for by the government after a good amount of damage to the campus.

The Northridge Meadows complex that collapsed and killed people was torn down and rebuilt all fancy shmancy. They are probably expensive condos now.

I woke up from my sleep during this one. Same as had happened about 7 or so years earlier during the Whittier one. I was about midway between both of those areas, but recall the Whittier one feeling much stronger.

I was about 6 miles from Northridge at the time. I just slept right through it. :(

Does it come as any surprise that my alarm doesn't wake me in the morning?

Two weeks after my house had burned I got the news that my father committed suicide in hotel in Santa Rosa. Being the oldest son and next of kin I flew out to claim the body etc. On the 16th I drove his car to my mothers house (second floor apartment) in Newhall and woke up to the quake. After the quake we found that the china cabinet had fallen onto the dining room table, TV fell off it's stand, fridge and cupboards emptied themselves and the water heater danced away from the pipes that were spraying everywhere. It was my first visit to CA and I didn't even get to see the ocean due to all the highway overpasses having collapsed. All in all it was a very interesting few weeks.