• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

So WTF is this all about?

Oi vey. I can't stand this guy. First and foremost, he's not a lawyer. Even the manufacturers have no clue. Some things are a given, but I'd take a good portion of what he says with a grain of salt.

So... it's not as it sounds? The guy makes it sound like only a handful of cigars will be available in the near future.

As I understand it, the FDA has really taken a poor stance on cigars and it could very well affect a lot of product. However, it seems that the cigar lobby has a lot of in roads to legislation and or report language within legislation that would render the FDA decision fairly worthless.

As Monk said, this guy is no lawyer (and neither am I). Seems as though there is quite possibly a big battle brewing. I sincerely hope this guys predictions are premature freaking out. But who knows, as I said my understanding of this is limited, I just hope the sky isn't falling.

So... it's not as it sounds? The guy makes it sound like only a handful of cigars will be available in the near future.
Right now, the FDA would require any of the included nicotine containing products, that came to market after 2007, to obtain approvals. The approval process is long and possibly expensive. It is also complicated as there are several types of approvals. Any post 2007 product will get 2 and possibly up to 3 years to gain approval. A lot of controversy over the FDA ratio of submissions, approvals, and the phucktardery of their stalling/ignoring tactics.
One Lawyer I know said that good lawyers who fit this field can think of multiple ways to tie this up in courts for a long time.

Altadis/Habanos SA is gonna love this if CC cigars are made legal to sell in the US.

There are so many ways to confront this kind of situation that it almost blows the mind. Arbitrary and capricious retrospective dates such as the 2007 cutoff date are highly disfavored - even in administrative regulations. I tend to not subscribe to the kind of 'the-sky-is-falling' mentality that these videos show. I mean, what's new about it being harder for a boutique brand to get products to market as opposed to the big conglomerates? The regulations do indeed suck because they add a layer of expense and bureaucracy that was not previously there. But I am skeptical in thinking that the FDA will disallow a new Nicaraguan puro that has the same ingredient list (i.e., tobacco) that already existing Nicaraguan puros (pre 2007) have. They can mandate the same warnings on packaging but barring the same product type can raise interstate commerce / monopoly / lots of other issues. The flavored cigar guys are likely in trouble though. That stuff is going to get hit high and hard.

Do the regulations mean fewer new blends? Possibly. Are the flavored products (hookah, Swisher, Acid, pipe tobacco) going to have a hard time? Yes, there are lots of questions about what will be allowed in that realm. Does it mean the end of availability of great cigars? In my humble opinion, no.

This is the same guy who reviewed a fake Monte #2 and said it was one of the best cigars he's ever had, much to the ridicule of many. Not a cigar blogger I pay any attention to after that.

Barry! Which one, Cigar Obsession or Cigar Dave? I just shake my head with the first guy.
Regarding Cigar Dave, I've only seen that particular linked video, and wasn't at all impressed with what I took as gloom & doom and armchair crap. Let's talk strategy instead of whining and bitching.

This is live right now, but I suspect it will be available, in whole, at some point. Glynn Loope from CRA:

Barry! Which one, Cigar Obsession or Cigar Dave? I just shake my head with the first guy.
Regarding Cigar Dave, I've only seen that particular linked video, and wasn't at all impressed with what I took as gloom & doom and armchair crap. Let's talk strategy instead of whining and bitching.
The CO guy. I dislike CD for other reasons.