• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Software

sleepyjim

Vet and dam proud of it!
Does anyone know where to get software for cigar inventory, maybe even free?

Thanks,

Jim

If someone will detail what the software should do, I'll write it for the group. We could even market and sell it as a group if we desire. :sign: :sign:

This is a great idea! I'm thinking of a database program maybe based on Access with columns for Brand, size, wrapper, where obtained, price paid, date put in humi, personal rating, and a notes section. What do you think Blair?

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: I am sure we could find a way to host it for a free download. That way it could be geared as a Cigar Pass freeware proggie. Full of Cigar Pass propaganda. I have seen a lot of interest in this type of software around the net. You guys should get in touch with SamGuss who put together a great spread sheet. I have a copy of the spread sheet if anyone wants it.
Here are my humble suggestions for those interested in making this a viable project:
1. Traditional CA scoring
2. A pricing option that averages per stick cost with a comment area for where it was bought.
3. A comment area for general notes.
4. Instructions for how to change it to suit ones needs.
5. In any comment section, when I type in a an email addy or an inertnet addy, it auto recognizes them as links.
6. A scroll bar for wrapper shade.

This is what I came up with so far. I am sure I will think of some other stuff later.

Emo

I have two software programs that I have tried...

My Cigar Journal - Not sure if it is still available...Pretty nifty little database for sorting and scoring sticks. I just never have the time to keep it updated.

and

HerferBuddy $12.00 - For a Palm Pilot - Just picked this up a few weeks back - looks cute, but I have not had a chance to dig into it.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pilotgearsw/he...erferbuddy.html

Another one out there (for sale) is The Cigar Manger

( http://www.shareup.net/Home-Education/Home...load-1318.html)

Have not tried it but it might be of interest.

Thought these might be useful to help set something up or if anyone else is interested....

The only thing I want to add is if there is a small fee charged, all money goes to CP. First off to offset the cost of running CP, then to put the money to work for CP. In the lines of some more mouse pads, T-shirts, Coffee Mugs, Hats(please)... Now I haven't talked to Rod on any of this. But seeing how this is the best cigar board, lets stay a forerunner. I for one will volunteer to do some leg work in making any of this happen.

Emo

Am interested in the software> :thumbs: Great idea. Perhaps I'm a bit slow but never thought about the cost of running this site. The gear is a good idea Emo, already have one of the mouse pads. Just need to keep the software simple so that the non geeks can run it. :p

If it's not TOOooo big, I can host the software on www.GreatComputerService.com.

Dave ;)

I am guessing, by the time the project is done, it will be between 1 and 2 megs. I am sure we could work out something. Maybe a banner exchange to your site promoting your business?.... Dunno if Rod would go for it.

Emo

It would give me an excuse to play with VB6 to make a purtty interface with access... unless someone is already a VB pro.

The program sounds like a good idea. I've heard in the past by several people who would like a program like this.

Our server is powerful enough to host the program for users to download.

Keep us posted!

Man I am so glad I am not the only one thinking of this. I was thinking of a basic inventiry database, don't go to elaberate, brand, type, date purchased, quantity, and notes. If possible have it self alphabitize and maybe a feature to print out a want list (so u can take to shop to buy).

But anything will do.

thanks, lets do this,
See I don't look as dumb as I am!!!
LoL

Jim

I was thinking of writing a cigar inventory software, but I was going to write it in VB.net with the Microsoft Data Environment (MSDE) for the database.

I need to write my first desktop app in .net, all I have written so far is web applications.

Maybe i'd even toy with the idea of writing it in C#, I haven't had time to learn that language yet... work has been too busy to even think about spending time learning a new language.

You could always have one program with different sub-programs. Like your all in one cigar software, or you can just make it more specific to one type. Either way, it would be great!

Great ideas but it sure sounds like a lot of work... LOL! As for me, I just track my inventory on MS-Excel. I can sort and do things that I need to albeit it's a manual process but it works for me. :thumbs: :p

Aloha,

Wade

And for you software writers, you could even have "pull downs" with all the brands that could be updated from time to time. Hell, if your gonna wish, might as well wish big. I am not a software geek but I would love this program.
Thanks
Jerry

Yeah, dropdown boxes for the brand/types would be possible... updatable to and from the internet... but that could possibly require a large amount of bandwidth...

I could also make an application that would allow cigar inventory to be posted to the internet (if so desired) but in my field of expertise, it would require a Windows 2000/2003 web server.

you could even have "pull downs" with all the brands that could be updated from time to time
Great idea Jerry. With all the excellent suggestions on this thread I think we could really have something here.