• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Solar Panels

xyz123

Obviously you're not a golfer.
I have an appointment Monday with a solar contractor. The credits are too good to pass up as I start a full reno on my new property.

Has anyone here had new paneling installed in past 5-10 years? The search engines are overrun with garbage and paid spots.. especially with all the cheap Chinese panels junk. This is a photo showing rear of property:

genMbmob.1935689_2_0.jpg

I have roofers coming early May.. found some really nice GAF architectural shingles that look fantastic with the siding I chose (staying with 4½in vinyl). See how there's 2 sections of rear roof? I'm hoping I can get away with panels on just the top section nearest the chimney.

Anyway, before I start a novel.. any of you guys have panels done recently? OR, anyone looking at doing some with the new incentives that are available?

Gracias in advance!

they are a scam

I take it your experience didn't go that great? Lol!

But seriously, why do you say that? Are you meaning all the junk Chinese panels that are flooding the market?

I talked to a friend of my family, a few years ago the problem at that time was the amount of batteries you needed to store the electric.

Take a hard look at Tesla, considered the best panel and electrical. The rest pale in comparison.

From my research which I will admit, it’s been a few years ago. The payback on solar is so far out that they are not worth it. Not to mention the increase on home insurance, the cost of maintenance ect

I take it your experience didn't go that great? Lol!

But seriously, why do you say that? Are you meaning all the junk Chinese panels that are flooding the market?
So the panels will never pay for themselves. In Nebraska the way it works is if you generate more than you can store, the electric company takes the excess. But if since you don't know if you can generate enough all the time you have to keep an account with the electric company. They charge you $50 a month just to have an account. Then if you use any of their electricity its a high rate because you don't use much,. Also they don't give you anything for the electricity that they take from you.

The panels are financed over 30 years but only last 15-20 max. You'll never save enough to cover the costs. When you get close the panels will have to be replaced. Round and Round you go. My parents have 50+ friends in AZ that bought the panels installed by the builder and after market and not one person will even break even. I've got a few friends (suckers) in Nebraska that have them and they won't come within $10,000 of breaking even. Even if the panels lasted 30 years.

I looked into them, as well. My electric bill typically low enough to point where getting panels would never pay for itself. If anything, it getting panels would just be an additional expense every month.

So he was here almost an hour. I brought up all the good points you guys have made here. You could tell it's something he encounters all the time. Especially as most people don't naturally think "sunshine" when Wisconsin is brought up.

So, pertaining costs, it's really the new 30% in tax breaks and rebates that makes it even worth considering. Madison, and to a greater extent Dane County, is a super-lefty progressive city/county. They also provide up to an additional 10% property tax break by using approved vendors and contractors. It's minimally 5%, but 10% if using the vetted form of suppliers.

I already pay a premium as my utility offers a 100% "green/clean" option, they call it GPT. It allows customers to allow for a percentage of their power to come from only wind and/or solar farms they own here and in Iowa. You can have it be 10% of your power.. or all the way up to 100% of your power. <--- LINK

So, I've already been paying a premium to be at 100% GPT. And as mentioned here, there's considerable upfront costs... probably $12-15k.. conservatively. I do have the benefit of having south-facing roof area. And I have the benefit and land available for an enclosed structure to store a battery bank. Battery storage is optional, but makes the most sense for us.

This whole process started as a result of an energy/efficiency audit I had done. The audit itself is covered by following some or all of the recommendations from it. I've already had foam insulation pumped into the walls and bought heavily insulated vinyl siding that will be put on soon.

They gave me a free Google Nest smart t-stat and overtime it learns the most efficient way to run your hvac. It even learns peak power times/rates and changes when and how much to use based on the higher rate times.

The panels themselves are also "smart" nowadays. For instance, they too also learn the best way of when and how much to use them. And it also knows the best times to sell my surplus energy back to the grid based on the utility's rates. So I'd only store up my power during low peak times/rates, and only sell it back during the high peak times/rates... and it can sometimes be up to 10x what you paid for it!

I still haven't made a final decision. And there's other pros/cons to consider. But I did want to get as much info first before making such a big investment. I won't need to finance it, which definitely helps... they certainly make a pretty penny on the finance plans I read over in the paperwork.

A rough conservative estimate puts me at around 6-7 yrs before I'd be out of the red. To be clear, that's 100% off the grid.. my only relationship with my utility at that point would be THEM paying for MY power. Which has to feel amazing I would think!

He gave me a customer list of people in the Madison area that agreed to talk about their panels, good or bad. So I'm gonna do a little more research and email a few people from the list. I told him I'd let him know by the end of the week. I'd say at this point, I'm around 80% "in". I'd really like to see someone's actual utility bill with similar sqft to my place. I'm all about the proof at the end of the day... especially if it's 80 proof or better! 🤔🥃😁

This project for me has actually nothing to do with trying to be "green". It's all about a different green 💵💵💵. Only new tech and big government intervention will solve our warming climate crisis.

If it weren't for the incentives, I wouldn't bother. Plus, I just like the idea of self-sufficiency.. if it's a positive thing for the environment too, great. But it's not part of my equation going in.

I am grateful for the replies here guys. It gave me some skepticism I was sorely lacking initially. I will say this, check if your state or local gov have any incentives program you can stack on the fed benefit. When you start looking at 35-40% worth of incentives, it's something you'll want to take a good long look at. I'm glad I did.

I will keep this thread updated as I go, should I make the leap. I'll detail every penny spent and any headaches and/or hassles I encounter. If anyone has any questions during the process, don't be shy, I'll answer anything I can. I'll end this now for you brave souls that have made it this far!

Regarding the actual fed program, here's a good article from Forbes that sums it up well:

🌞🕶👍

So the panels will never pay for themselves. In Nebraska the way it works is if you generate more than you can store, the electric company takes the excess. But if since you don't know if you can generate enough all the time you have to keep an account with the electric company. They charge you $50 a month just to have an account. Then if you use any of their electricity its a high rate because you don't use much,. Also they don't give you anything for the electricity that they take from you.

The panels are financed over 30 years but only last 15-20 max. You'll never save enough to cover the costs. When you get close the panels will have to be replaced. Round and Round you go. My parents have 50+ friends in AZ that bought the panels installed by the builder and after market and not one person will even break even. I've got a few friends (suckers) in Nebraska that have them and they won't come within $10,000 of breaking even. Even if the panels lasted 30 years.

Chad, do you, or your folks, actually have them? If so, how old are they now? All stories I have heard previously are about the same as what you're saying. The guy (also Dan), was very emphatic about the tech in panels now, compared to even just 5-10 years ago. And the Chinese have also really driven panel costs down.

Like I said above, I wanna see actual MG&E bills from locals that have the same or similar setup.

THAT'S what will give me my evidence.

Chad, do you, or your folks, actually have them? If so, how old are they now? All stories I have heard previously are about the same as what you're saying. The guy (also Dan), was very emphatic about the tech in panels now, compared to even just 5-10 years ago. And the Chinese have also really driven panel costs down.

Like I said above, I wanna see actual MG&E bills from locals that have the same or similar setup.

THAT'S what will give me my evidence.
I am not a sucker no.

@xyz123 good luck with your decision. I was interested in panels but out house and surrounding trees were not concussive to make the panels worthwhile. Don't buy @TexasTraveler 's ocean front property either, as its infested with scorpions and @CBoukal has deep coal and NG roots. His house sits on top of NE largest coal deposit. Or at least that's what his Secret Santa said.

Getting credits for solar installation is indeed a great opportunity. In the world of solar panels, navigating through the marketing noise can be a challenge. Considering the quality is essential. Your plan to focus on a top section of the roof sounds logical, and coordinating with the roofers for seamless integration is a good move.

While you're into sustainable energy, have you looked into Residential Energy Storage solutions? https://www.acebattery.com/collection/energy-storage-battery offers energy storage batteries that could elevate your solar setup's efficiency. They might align well with your renovation goals.

Last edited:
My brother did a full roof conversion with Panasonic panel 18 months ago on a home in the Philly suburbs, His is a daylight only system - meaning no power storage. For a $30K investment he pays no elictric bills on his all electric house and makes about $100-150 a month in sellback credits.

He likes it but the Philly area is known for paying below market rates, One credit is not equal to one dollar so you get less for selling back X amount of power then you spend buying that same amount of power. Also the credits market is not regulate very much so if the supply increases the amount each credit is worth can decrease substantially.

Long term solar does increase the property value in that area by about the amount spent but the downside is that end of life panel replacement and roof replacement need to coincide so you don't have to take down the panels to redo the roof . If I had the space I'd rather do a land based panel system the a roof based one if at all possible. Your area may be different in how sellback works and the rates paid so that will influence your decision too.

Last edited:
I briefly looked at solar panels. As it turns out, our latest 2-year average electric bill is $92/month.
We have a total electric home. Carrier heat pump. It simply isn't an attractive option for us.