• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Some Cigar and Port Matchings

texasaero

Cooler Troll
Reaction score
BBF with DOW LBV 1997
Taste of maraschino cherries. Rasberry jam and chocolate. Smell of cocoa and bananas towards the nub

MAG 46 with Taylor Fladgate LBV 1997
Taste of chocolate coffee and sweetly overripe berries. Near the nub elevates to bitter chocolate touched with vermouth.

The LBV ports by themselves as many of you know are young and fruity. But matched with these cigars yields some fantastic flavors I thought somebody should know about.

texasaero said:
The LBV ports by themselves as many of you know are young and fruity. But matched with these cigars yields some fantastic flavors I thought somebody should know about.
[snapback]155054[/snapback]​

Awesome pairing, thanks for the post.

:cool:

I found a nice, affordable, vintage port that we enjoy on a regular basis during the winter months, the 1998 Delicato Porto. I'm not sure about availabilty these days, we purchased a case at the winery a couple of years ago at ~$16 a bottle. Of course it's not your Taylor Fladgate but it's a nice lighter style port, great for everyday drinking.

Now I gotta try a Delicato. I also found the following for matchings with medium to full bodied smokes. 1999 Taylor Fladgate LBV Light fruit, with underpinnings of liqorice. Smooth like a Vintage but has a young fruit after taste. With a cigar, a deep brew of dried berries. I dare say, hintings of Hersheys.

I've gone through a bottle of Fonseca Bin 27 and Warre's Warrior lately. None of which I found a match for cigars. A no matches that permutates the taste of cigar and port into one indentifiable aroma/flavor. I think the value is there when paired with other foods.

Last night I had a Padron 40th Anniversary and it paired up nicely with a Taylor Fladgate 10 year port. It really brought out the taste of the cigar. Just thought I'd throw in my .02 cents.

Ree

Anyone have suggestions for fruity med - mild cigars. Here are some of my daily smokes. I have had a few good ports, but nothing that matches really well as i'm not a huge wine drinker.

R&J corona
VR famosos
Hdm corona
RASS
SLR's

I think some of the Southeastern Australian ports go fantastic with cigars. I am especially a fan of Whisker's Blake Tawny and Yalumba's Galway Pipe Tawny. For an everyday drinking tawny, I like the Clocktower by Yalumba. All of the above mentioned ports are favorites with cigars. The Australian ports tend to be a bit lighter in body and never cover the flavor of even mild cigars. They also have just enough body to stand up to some of the brutes. :)

LGHT said:
Anyone have suggestions for fruity med - mild cigars. Here are some of my daily smokes. I have had a few good ports, but nothing that matches really well as i'm not a huge wine drinker.

R&J corona
VR famosos
Hdm corona
RASS
SLR's
[snapback]195024[/snapback]​

Hdm corona
RASS
Both have some chocolate tastes but also a little wood hints. So I would match these with Red ports.
Maybe a deep dark ruby, BIN 27, Six Grapes, and Warrior come to mind. Or any LBV from '97.
No hard and fast rule. But these are my guidelines.

For mid level ports I prefer 10 year old Tawny's. Brands like Taylor, Sandeman, Dow's and Fonseca are some of my favorites.

As far as which cigars go good with them, I would say pretty much every cigar goes good with port.

Agreed Master .... The other night I had a Zoom 107 Year Old Vine (2001) Zinfandel that was fabulous with my VR Famoso cigar. This Zin is very Port like even though it isn't a Port, or even a Late Harvest for that matter, but it does have little bit of residual sugar.