• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Some help please with English and Aromatics

Bahianut

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in f
I've been a little confused with the whole English and aromatic and what tobaccos are which. I've got the obvious down as to the Vanillas and the Cheery cased blends, but blends that are more subtle I'm not sure about. I thought it would be nice to have a reference of some of the more popular blends and whether they are English or Aromatic for us newbies to help get out heads around the concept.

The ones I'm struggling with are:

Frog Morton on the Town. (I think it's an English, but it smells stronger than some of my Aromatics)
Dunhill Early Morning
DunHill Nightcap
Penzance

My guess is they are all English. I know people always talk about starting out with Aromatics and then moving toward the English, but they don't say this brand is English and this is an Aromatic.

Thanks!

Those sure aren't Aromatics. :laugh:

Early Morning Pipe is generally considered an Oriental, but the rest are what most people call English blends. The strong smell is Latakia. It's smoky and pungent and quite delicious. :)

Run, don't walk, over to www.tobaccoreviews.com -- folks there do a good job of detailing what kind of stuff is in each blend, and basically what to expect in terms of flavor. (Of course, everyone has a different opinion as to what they like and dislike, and different folks will sense different flavors, but still, it's a great place to get info on a particular blend.)

I've been to tobaccoreviews and use there sight a ton. But they do not tell if the blend is aromatic or english (or I'm using their site wrong). I was really looking for a list of the most popular blends and if they are english or aromatic. Or is there a key word to look for in the descriptions of tobacco's that would signal English like latakia? I've been looking at on line retailers and get confused if what I'm looking at is an English or Aromatic. I usually double check with tobaccoreviews to see if what the online place states matches up with the review site. There are some good copywriters out there that could convince you turnip flavor tobacco smokes like heaven!

Andy

I think you're making this harder than it is. If a blend has Latakia in it, and smells smokey, it's probably an English blend. If it smells like a French whore house, it's an aromatic. Another way to tell is, if the room note smells great, but it tastes like shit, then it's an aromatic.

Doc.

From JR:

"AROMATIC - During the manufacturing process, casings are added to the tobacco. A casing is flavor that is added to the tobacco. Some of the most common casings are chocolate, vanilla, cherry, rum, apple, liquor, etc. Depending on the amount of casing used, a blend in this category can also be deemed “semi-aromatic” or “lightly-aromatic.”

Concise if simplistic

I think you're making this harder than it is. If a blend has Latakia in it, and smells smokey, it's probably an English blend. If it smells like a French whore house, it's an aromatic. Another way to tell is, if the room note smells great, but it tastes like shit, then it's an aromatic.

Doc.

LMAO. Couldn't have put it any better.

So are non aromatics basically in two divisions: English and Oriental? Or are there other classifications depending on the contents and the percentage of each content?

Also, Doc are you by any chance BriarChef at TobaccoReviews.com? You two seem to share the same wonderful posting style that I thoroughly enjoy.

So are non aromatics basically in two divisions: English and Oriental? Or are there other classifications depending on the contents and the percentage of each content?

No. There are Virginia blends, Virginia/Perique blends (commonly referred to as VAPERs), Burley blends, Scottish blends, Danish blends, Balkan blends, and a few others.

For the sake of simplicity, a lot people refer to non aromatics as English blends. There are really no hard and fast rules.

This website may give you a little more understanding about the differences and how subtle they really are.

It's confusing as all hell, and really fun to read about.

For the sake of my sanity I classify blends as either Aromatic, English, Virginia, VAPER, Oriental, or Burley depending on the dominant component. English blends are heavy in Latakia, the rest are self explanatory.

Hope that helps. :)