• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Some newbie questions. . .

Bahianut

Animadvertistine, ubicumque stes, fumum recta in f
So now that I've officially had a couple bowls in both mini and regular pipes some questions come to mind. The mini pipe is perfect for the 45 min car ride home. It poses some difficulties, but I've enjoyed it and think I will keep using this for my commute. However, would it be possible to pack a full bowl in a regular pipe, smoke it on the drive home, set it down, and then get back to it after the kids go to bed? We are talking around 3-4hrs. I'm thinking that is a bit much, but unsure.

I was also considering packing smaller bowls in the regular pipes but not sure that is good for the pipe. Granted they are 5-7 dollar pipes, but everyone has their treasures!!

I'm open to any thoughts or comments. I've finally found something I'm enjoying and can kind of "join" the community here. I love this place, just usually don't have anything to say other than. . . cool!, that's awesome, or read more post less. . .

Thanks,

Andy

I've lit up a bowl, smoked half, then let it sit for 2 days before. The bowl tasted just fine.

If is is an aromatic blend will it soak into the pipe and add to "ghost" flavor of the next bowl? That would be my fear. But that is good info that you can let it go that long with out the stale taste like cigars.

Thanks!

So now that I've officially had a couple bowls in both mini and regular pipes some questions come to mind. The mini pipe is perfect for the 45 min car ride home. It poses some difficulties, but I've enjoyed it and think I will keep using this for my commute. However, would it be possible to pack a full bowl in a regular pipe, smoke it on the drive home, set it down, and then get back to it after the kids go to bed? We are talking around 3-4hrs. I'm thinking that is a bit much, but unsure.

You can do this. Many people call it Delayed Gratification Technique (DGT) and actually do it all the time. Some blends are better suited than others, but that knowledge can really only come with experience. Aromatics are sometimes not very good for this. Alternatively, you could pack a half bowl for your drive home and smoke it down, let your pipe cool while having dinner, getting the kids to bed, etc. and smoke another half bowl later.

I was also considering packing smaller bowls in the regular pipes but not sure that is good for the pipe. Granted they are 5-7 dollar pipes, but everyone has their treasures!!

This should not hurt the pipe if done occasionally. If you do it all the time it can lead to uneven cake build up and that can be problematic over time if you don't keep up with maintenance and evening the cake out. It is certainly something to consider if a certain blend doesn't work out with the DGT process.

I'm open to any thoughts or comments. I've finally found something I'm enjoying and can kind of "join" the community here. I love this place, just usually don't have anything to say other than. . . cool!, that's awesome, or read more post less. . .

Thanks,

Andy

I'm glad you're enjoying the pipe. Don't stress out too much about all the techniques and all that. It can be as simple or complicated as you make it. The only thing I would really stress that you be adamant about is pipe maintenance. This can keep your treasures smoking their best for years and years.

:)

Thanks Alan,

I've always been a "what works for you" type person and enjoy the discovery. I'm finding this more enjoyable that cigars. You can have a great bowl and not spend 10 bucks on one stick. I also enjoy that the smoke is much more "nose-able" so to speak. I think it really enhances the flavor and I could only do that with the Padilla Miami 11 sticks I picked up.

Andy

3-4 hours before relight should not be a problem for any tobacco. this is one of the great
advantages of smoking a pipe, you don't need to rush and you don't need to a set time to
enjoy your whole smoke, you can always come back and enjoy later, something you can't do with a cigar.

if you want a shorter smoke, i would suggest getting a smaller cob pipe like
a MM pony express or eaton. these are very inexpensive, but they are great
little smokers. also, if you are in to trying new blends, these are great trial pipes.

Whenever I smoke any straight VA's I smoke 1/4 of the bowl to get the initial flavor and the put it aside, overnight. It gives it a lot of flavor the next day. As Alan already said, it can be nasty with aromatics. I basically try it with all new tobaccos (even for a few hours), just to see if it tastes better.

I also re-light cigars all the time, so what do I know! :p