• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sometimes Shipping Routes Crack Me Up

The Volusianator

Tick Tock
So I ordered a Garmin c550 last Friday. The e-mail confirmation I got has a link to their tracking system, so I thought I'd see what the status is, although I know it'll be here tomorrow. As I go through the process, I see my GPS started out in Des Moines, went to New Jersey, then New York and is now on it's way to me via Chicago. Don't you think it'd have been easier to just go from Des Moines to Chicago to me!? Gotta love UPS! :thumbs:

That is funny. I once had something shipped to me from San Diego via Fed Ex. It went to Tennessee first and then made its way to L.A. Go figure. ???

it all has to do with fuel surcharges, they gotta justify the new rates ups released this year, you know, more bang for the buck.

it all has to do with fuel surcharges, they gotta justify the new rates ups released this year, you know, more bang for the buck.
Well with gas going up as it has the last couple weeks, you'd think they'd want to take the shortest route!

Your new avatar is freakin' wild buy the way.

So I ordered a Garmin c550 last Friday. The e-mail confirmation I got has a link to their tracking system, so I thought I'd see what the status is, although I know it'll be here tomorrow. As I go through the process, I see my GPS started out in Des Moines, went to New Jersey, then New York and is now on it's way to me via Chicago. Don't you think it'd have been easier to just go from Des Moines to Chicago to me!? Gotta love UPS! :thumbs:

I've got to assume that there wasn't very many things going from Des Moines to Chicago to You. Meanwhile there probably was a bunch of stuff going to New Jersey and New York and to Chicago from New York. Therefor cheapest route is to let it piggy back on the bigger packages till it gets to New York to get on another big one to Chicago and then send it off to you. That way rather than paying for another flight to Chicago from Des Moines for a limited number of items they can just piggy-back on the cheap using existing flights.

Shipping routes only make sense when you know the density of the traffic, the cost, and the route.

Do you know how to read a map? ???
Ummm....maybe my map reading skills aren't what they used to be, but San Diego to Los Angeles by way of Tennessee seems somewhat circuitous to me. ;)

Edit for spelling.

Sorry for the confusion, the question was directed at the author of the thread.

$500.00+ for one of these gadgets seems like an awful lot of money when you can get maps for free.

Here's a general question for everyone, what an earth does one need the option to be able to play MP3 files for with this silly thing? Does listening to gangsta rap at the same time you're lost looking for some location REALLY add to the experience?

I've got to assume that there wasn't very many things going from Des Moines to Chicago to You. Meanwhile there probably was a bunch of stuff going to New Jersey and New York and to Chicago from New York. Therefor cheapest route is to let it piggy back on the bigger packages till it gets to New York to get on another big one to Chicago and then send it off to you. That way rather than paying for another flight to Chicago from Des Moines for a limited number of items they can just piggy-back on the cheap using existing flights.

Shipping routes only make sense when you know the density of the traffic, the cost, and the route.
No doubt there's good reason why it was routed the way it was. It's just funny to see sometimes how things go from A to B to X to get to C.

Do you know how to read a map? ???
Ummm....maybe my map reading skills aren't what they used to be, but San Diego to Los Angeles by way of Tennessee seems somewhat circuitous to me. ;)

Edit for spelling.

Sorry for the confusion, the question was directed at the author of the thread.
Sorry, of course I can read a map. I just find that trying to read a map while driving in unfamiliar territory is unsafe and pulling over to the roadside to read the map is a waste of time. Basically tools of the trade for someone who travels a lot, similar to cell phones.

Actually, you'd be surprised, I've met quite a few people that honestly can figure out maps. I just find regular ole maps to be much easier to deal with. I have some DeLorme map software for my laptop and again, I find a real map much easier to deal with and use. $500.00 can buy a whole lot of nice cigars.

On a recent trip to Minneapolis my brother had his laptop and Delormme software runing and the GPS on the dash. I was driving and found it very easy to have the sexy lady voice tell me how to drive through the city to our hotel rather than sit in traffic on the interstate. Also probably because we are cheeseheads it was fun to let it navigate routes to different stops during the trip. I was never distracted from keeping my eyes on the road.

Baron

Bill, I guess you're right, so I think I'll keep the Garmin for my truck, and just get this for the motorcycle.

Enfieldw-GPS.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: The orignal GPS system. I'm impressed by the GPS systems also. I have traveled with several people who had them. What a great tool for people who travel. Let me know what you think of it, Wade.

Quade

I love the GPS route, my old man and I got into this argument last year. So nice to drop the address in and go. Also great for hiking and fishing.