• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Son of a...

jlada

"Contest Master"
While this truly doesn't need a long narrative, I feel it's somewhat apporpriate to post here. As a foreword, let me say I've never had an issue with storing any of my cigars... until now.

So, I wake up full of energy today and decide I'm going to do a little humidor Tetris; rehydrate some beads, shuffle the cigars, and do some general housekeeping with "the stash". I am very particular in how I store my coolidors/humidors. I usually keep certain marcas in certain places - cabs of 'x' cigar in 'y' location, etc. Anal retentive, yes, but 'that's how I roll'.

Anyway, I'm rearranging one of my bigger coolers that stores some of the larger cabs/boxes. I'm shuffling boxes around and I happen to pick up my cab of Tatuaje Zona del Este that I have. Hmm.... "that's odd," I think to myself. It sorta sounds like a paint mixer shaking an oversized Etch-A-Sketch. I quickly think... "ahh, I bet some beads spilled in the cab".

How wrong I was.

I open the cab... a fine brown mist creeps out. Something straight out of Indiana Jones as he's opening a tomb. To my horror, I see... *sigh* the damage.

Imagine seeing 24 of your favorite, neatly alligned cigars that look as though have been repeatedly pelted with birdshot. Repeatedly. Incessantly. I think I puked in my mouth a little. And I think I died a little inside.

So. Ya. My first experience ever with tobacco beetles. Every other cab/box in the cooler is fine. The Tatuaje Zona del Estes are a complete loss. There were dozens of the beetles. Incredible, really... voracious little bastards.

Now, on to the point of the post... I just smoked one of these cigars not 3ish weeks ago. How in the hell does this amount of damage happen in that little period of time? Anyone have any experience with the total annihilation of a box? There were A LOT of the beetles. I don't think there is any way that the beetles got out of the cab - but should I be concerned about the other boxes/cabs? It was 65F/66% in the cooler - not your typical range for beetles, I thought. Also, I should probably contact the guy I split the cab with and warn him... shouldn't I... lol. :D

Sigh... what a frustrating birthday present.
Thanks in advance for input.

P.S. ISO Tatuaje Zona del Estes :(.

Edit: Whoops, was supposed to go in humidor forum. Ah well.

Ahh that sucks bro. I havn't had any problems whatsoever like yourself so maybe I should go look through my wine cooler for a while. Sucks to hear man. Good luck on the rest!

Sadly, I don't have a digital camera. I had one that I thought was amazing... and well... let's just say if your digi cam gets in a fight with gravity, gravity always wins. And for some odd reason, manufacturers don't warranty these things :D.

So, I'm getting myself one for Christmas this year! Just gotta find a good deal on one with the right features. I suppose I could isolate the cab for a few weeks and save it for pics, but it's just so damned depressing. :(

Man...that really bites. At first I thought it might be about what I just sent you, atleast it would have been something I could help you out with.

Sorry to hear about it but the bright side it was contained to just the cab not the whole humidor.

That really sucks man. Every beetle I have ever encountered has been in an expensive stick so I feel your pain.

That sucks bro......I just took my dwindled cigar stash out of the freezer. Had an ISOM Partagas with a couple of holes in it. This being the 2nd time this has happened. I reacted quickly. I believe it's isolated but, you just don't know with these fuggers. The good thing, if you can call it that is, I 've been out of work for seven months and as I implied earlier the stash has dwindled. Good luck finding your replacements.

That really blows. I never knew that they can do so much damage in such a short period of time. I always figured that if all the cigars in the cab are damaged, it would happen over a long period of time....not 3 weeks.

That really sucks, Jeff! Personally, I'd probably freeze everything that was in the cooler, just to be sure.

Sorry to hear that jlada. A good friend of mine freezes his cigars for a few days before he puts them in his humi so he doesnt have to ever worry about beetles

Man that really sucks! Especially Tatuaje East Sides! Man I would cry if I were you. But definalty would freeze the rest of your stash in that cooler just to make sure. I haven't exprienced that problem before, but from all that I've read you should do that for sure.

Sorry to hear my friend! That absolutely sucks! I'd definitely be freezing some smokes if I found a box completely eaten in my big cooler. No way taking a chance on that happening to any others.

Wow! I'm floored by this -- I was always under the impression that at temps sub 70 degrees we would be ok. Can anyone add insight as to temps & beetle infestation?

Now I'm going to go downstairs and take a careful look....

The rule is supposed to be that you should be okay as long as you keep your cigars sub 70 degrees. What this shows is that the rule is not a hard-and-fast one.

Sorry to hear this. Are you going to be freezing the rest?

That really sucks man. Every beetle I have ever encountered has been in an expensive stick so I feel your pain.
The little suckers have good taste. Why eat the dog rockets where there is a box of premiums right there to munch on? :angry:

Sadly, I don't have a digital camera. I had one that I thought was amazing... and well... let's just say if your digi cam gets in a fight with gravity, gravity always wins. And for some odd reason, manufacturers don't warranty these things :D.

So, I'm getting myself one for Christmas this year! Just gotta find a good deal on one with the right features. I suppose I could isolate the cab for a few weeks and save it for pics, but it's just so damned depressing. :(

Sorry to hear about your sticks. That really sucks. If you are prone to dropping things I would suggest looking at the olympus SW series cameras. I have a 770 and just bought an 850 for my sister. They are shockproof and waterproof. Olympus claims they can with stand a too hundred pound man standing on them, but i don't think I would try it. They are pretty reasonably priced I picked up the 850 for around 200 bucks online.

Dennis

Edit: Spelling