• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Soprano's ending

Devil Doc

When Death smiles, Corpsmen smile back
Ok, I understand all the symbolism and literary devices used in the ending. But it still sucked. I am very disappointed.

Doc.

...won't show here on the left coast for about two more hours. Anxious to see it, hope it doesn't completely suck....

I have seen some theorize that the silence was tony getting hit.

Actually, after realizing my TV was still working I decided I liked the ending.

In fact it was very emotional for me. I am not afraid to admit that I actually started crying. The end of a great series (with its good and bad writing points).

I suspect Chase was going for the emotional crash I experienced.

Some final thoughts on this:

1. the possibility for a movie
2. Bobby Baccala asked Tony if you know ":it is coming" - Tony said that you never hear it coming". Tony never heard the restaurant's little bell on the door ring when Meadow came in. So may, just maybe, this was the momement when he got it 'cause he never heard it coming

3. I am not disappointed with the finale show, just the final scene. Why end it wit the screen going blank? If they wanted it to end with all of them together why not just do that? If they wanted to kill someone why not just do that? I just don't get the blank screen thing.

Some final thoughts on this:

1. the possibility for a movie
2. Bobby Baccala asked Tony if you know ":it is coming" - Tony said that you never hear it coming". Tony never heard the restaurant's little bell on the door ring when Meadow came in. So may, just maybe, this was the momement when he got it 'cause he never heard it coming

3. I am not disappointed with the finale show, just the final scene. Why end it wit the screen going blank? If they wanted it to end with all of them together why not just do that? If they wanted to kill someone why not just do that? I just don't get the blank screen thing.

Its to make you, make the ending in your own mind. Brilliant if you ask me...

Was it just me or was Tony wearing a diffeent shirt when he first walked in the restaurant? Then the camera cuts back to Tony anad it shows his POV (point of view) and it seemed as if he was actually watching himself in the scene as it played out, as if to say - "I wish my life was this normal"

So did this [last] scene actually happen or was it Tony thinking that it happened?

Mmmmmm

Actually Tony did not get whacked...The viewers got whacked. Think about it...

That's exactly what one of the Detroit radio stations said this morning, and kinda makes sense.

snip....1. the possibility for a movie...snip

That's been mentioned quite a bit, and I really did (and still do) believe that that show wouldn't be the end of the Sopranos. Say what you like about this season, and last night's show, but there's still too big a following to let it go. Someone's gonna finance a huge movie.

That being said, I still think last night's show sucked.

I generally find TV to be a big waste of time. The reaction to this thing tends to make me think I am correct. I am LMAO at all the deep thinking I have read on this. Hell, I just want to be entertained. Sorry for you folks who invested allot of time in this. Seems like the only folks who got "hit" was you.

I generally find TV to be a big waste of time. The reaction to this thing tends to make me think I am correct. I am LMAO at all the deep thinking I have read on this. Hell, I just want to be entertained. Sorry for you folks who invested allot of time in this. Seems like the only folks who got "hit" was you.

I agree somewhat

I have a graduate degree in Media Studies so I have been readig, analyzing, researching and studying the media for over 12 years. I watch tv/movies a bit differently than the rest of the public in that I watch as we all do then analyze it on numerous levels. Doing this keeps me off the streets at night :rolleyes:

I thought the last 5 minutes of the show were without a doubt the most tense gut wrenching 5 minutes in television history. Can any of you guys say that they weren't intense!

The blank screen was a bit anti climatic to say the least but they leave it wide open, I mean the main characters are all still alive!

Some people want more than just entertainment and enjoy getting wrapped up in the story line and feeling like they're involved... just like smoking cigars is a different type of experience for each smoker... I've never seen an episode of Sopranos, but I'm addicted to Lost in the same way that many here enjoy Sopranos. :)

---John Holmes...

I had been given an HBO "leak" on this that advised how this would play out, complete with still shots of the scenes, who would survive, who wouldn't. I knew Phil was going to get hit at the Raceway as he was on the passenger side of the SUV with his wife present. Some of the info in the leak did not pan out (i.e., the leak had a story line involving Furio and him coming back over to attempt a hit on T.), but others played out exactly as leaked. The ending was known to be at Holsten's, and still shots I had of it verified it. But, it did not illustrate how drawn out the end was (i.e., Meadow's horrible parking skills, or the "man" at the counter) or that it would just immediately cut out like that. That definitely served to add some nervousness to the whole situation. My little wife was saying, "something's about to happen, something's about to happen," and all I could respond was by saying that nothing was supposed to happen, that it was supposed to end here. And, it did.

All in all, I loved that episode. It was excellent. As for a movie, David Chase has advised that the only movie he is really seriously tossing around is a pre-quel type movie simply because of the technical difficulties involved with everyone who has been killed off. So, that's probably what we'll get, if anything, by way of a movie.

It was a good ending to one of the best series in the history of television.

I thought the last 5 minutes of the show were without a doubt the most tense gut wrenching 5 minutes in television history. Can any of you guys say that they weren't intense!

The blank screen was a bit anti climatic to say the least but they leave it wide open, I mean the main characters are all still alive!

I was hanging on the edge of my seat for the last ten minutes thinking when, when, now? I will admit I was a little disappointed when the ending happened but thinking about it now (and I like the Sarge's theory best), I'm not that disappointed. I wish I could have heard one gun shot. That would have wrapped it up. I didn't want to see it, I'm sure no one else wanted to see it, but I believe that's what happened...

If there was a movie, I'd go... :cool:

I agree on the movie thing. I didn't notice Tony wearing a different shirt so I'll have to go back and check that one out. I haven't been keeping up with the show as much as I used to but really, how many of you ran up to your tv or just cried out WTF when the screen went black? I was cursing out my cable company until the credits started rolling lol. G1

For the sake of discussion on this ending....

Working hard to get my fill,
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin anything to roll the dice,
Just one more time
Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on....

Some have theorized that the end, where everything goes black, is T getting hit. Just like he and Bobby were discussing, "you never see/hear it coming, it just goes black..." But, the ending is what Chase wanted it to be...to cause speculation and for us to draw our own conclusions. Is there a definitive answer? Not at present. But, in discussing this, I heard this analysis of the ending, and it's a different take on it than I had personally have:

"I remember an old episode of I believe it was he Twilight Zone that took place in the days of the French Revolution. A man is being hung on a bridge over a river. The gallows door open, but the rope is too long and the man falls into the river where he is able to free himself and escape.
The entire episode follows the man around the contryside as he delights in his freedom, makes friends, meets a beatiful woman, falls in love, etc.

Just as he is about to kiss her we are brought back to the gallows, where in fact the rope was not too
long. The man falls through the trap door and dies brutally at the end of the hangman's noose.

We realize that the whole episode took place in the man's mind in that split second between the door falling open and his death.

If you notice last night, as Tony walked into the dinner, he actually saw himself sitting in the back with his jacket off. The entire scene takes place in Tony's mind in that split second as his killer comes up behind him and fires the fatal shot, and the moment his "lights go out."

His fanasty of sitting down to diner with his family who are all happy and moving along nicely with their lives is just that, a fanasty. Tony doesn't even seem to notice all the ominous characters that walk into the place any of whom might be there to kill him, and then the lights go out.

Chase's briliant move is that if he decides to do a movie, he can deny this ending was Tony's final moment. If he decides not to do a movie, or if he can't sign the principal players, then he reveals his brilliant deception.

Nice touch. "

Edited to add -

Check out this description of the episode from HBO:

Tony is the first to arrive at Holsten's for a family dinner. He sits in a booth and plays a song on the jukebox, watching the door. Carmela enters and joins him, asking about his meeting with Mink. He tells her Carlo's gonna testify and she takes the news with a sigh. AJ arrives next, complaining about the more mundane tasks of his job but quotes old advice from his father: "Try to remember the times that were good." Meanwhile, Meadow struggles to parallel park outside. Customers come and go - a shady looking guy who's been sitting at the counter enters the restroom. Finally parking the car, Meadow runs inside to join her family, just in time for...

"I remember an old episode of I believe it was he Twilight Zone that took place in the days of the French Revolution. A man is being hung on a bridge over a river. The gallows door open, but the rope is too long and the man falls into the river where he is able to free himself and escape.
The entire episode follows the man around the contryside as he delights in his freedom, makes friends, meets a beatiful woman, falls in love, etc.

Just as he is about to kiss her we are brought back to the gallows, where in fact the rope was not too
long. The man falls through the trap door and dies brutally at the end of the hangman's noose.

We realize that the whole episode took place in the man's mind in that split second between the door falling open and his death.

It's actually a classic short French film called Rivière du hibou, La or An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge

Amazing film.

Back