• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Souldog Tribute Herf (Shotguns & Cigars Herf)

I was going to put it out there, after PMing with Charles we thought still having the Shotgun herf would be ok.

I'm not sure how comfortable everyone is with that, so if anyone feels different please let me know.

Otherwise let's plan for smokin' and shooting clays!

I will update first post again with more info.

Thanks guys!

I felt the need to quietly chime in with my two cents. I want to preface it by saying that this is a purely emotional and gut reaction.

Something about making this the commemorative herf for Jon just isn't sitting quite right with me. I can't put my finger on what it is... It may be that we're "repurposing" an existing herf that was going to happen regardless. It may be that when I think about celebrating and commemorating Jon's life, firing shotguns isn't the first thing that pops into my head. It may be that I feel like we should go a little closer to Jon's backyard if we're going to be doing something in his memory. It may be that I'm still feeling emotional about the whole thing and that I wouldn't be "satisfied" with any idea about how to commemorate a dear friend.

I spent a lot of time with Jon and, honestly, his death still doesn't feel quite real to me yet.

The logical side of me would like to add another thought that conflicts with the above emotional tangent: 

Jon was an awesome person who touched so many peoples' lives on a very personal level. In person he was so genuine and cared so much about the people around him that it would be difficult not to form an emotional bond, even if you just herfed a few times with the guy. Knowing that he was important to so many people on the board, I think it would be appropriate for there to be many different "souldog tribute" herfs. In that spirit, this could and should certainly be one of them. Anyone who feels inclined to should celebrate Jon in whatever way they feel is appropriate.

I certainly don't mean to rain on anybody's parade and I think we should all celebrate Jon's life and memory in a million different ways. He deserves it.

42 said:
I felt the need to quietly chime in with my two cents. I want to preface it by saying that this is a purely emotional and gut reaction.

Something about making this the commemorative herf for Jon just isn't sitting quite right with me. I can't put my finger on what it is... It may be that we're "repurposing" an existing herf that was going to happen regardless. It may be that when I think about celebrating and commemorating Jon's life, firing shotguns isn't the first thing that pops into my head. It may be that I feel like we should go a little closer to Jon's backyard if we're going to be doing something in his memory. It may be that I'm still feeling emotional about the whole thing and that I wouldn't be "satisfied" with any idea about how to commemorate a dear friend.

I spent a lot of time with Jon and, honestly, his death still doesn't feel quite real to me yet.

The logical side of me would like to add another thought that conflicts with the above emotional tangent: 

Jon was an awesome person who touched so many peoples' lives on a very personal level. In person he was so genuine and cared so much about the people around him that it would be difficult not to form an emotional bond, even if you just herfed a few times with the guy. Knowing that he was important to so many people on the board, I think it would be appropriate for there to be many different "souldog tribute" herfs. In that spirit, this could and should certainly be one of them. Anyone who feels inclined to should celebrate Jon in whatever way they feel is appropriate.

I certainly don't mean to rain on anybody's parade and I think we should all celebrate Jon's life and memory in a million different ways. He deserves it.
Well said Matt. 

42 said:

Very well said Matt. I think that sums up how we are all feeling so succinctly. I think in a way, every SoCal HERF from now on will be a tribute to Jon. He was a light that shined very bright on our group of guys here in SoCal, and even across the country, regardless if he wasn't even at the HERFs. This will be the first tribute HERF with many to come, I am sure! 

Thank you Matt for the great words, and yes I'm torn. I hope my enthusiasm to get a group of guys together hasn't come across as disregard/selfishness as this is not the intent.

This herf is a celebration of brotherhood, a gathering that can be everything posted or anything but, just guys herfing reminiscing.

What I want most is for the gathering to be honoring to Jon, for us to remember him and celebrate him.

Thanks guys.

Jimmy

Jimmy, no one here would ever think you selfish for turning this into a herf for Jon. If someone thinks that, screw them. I think what we are feeling is maybe this should be fully redone as a memorial herf for Jon if it's going to be for him. Not because your idea is a bad one, just because that's what feels right. I'm betting everyone here is thankful for you thinking of doing this in his honor.

The more I think about it, the more I realize I'm just not in the mood to go shooting and herf for him. I'd rather just herf with everyone, and reminisce.

What do you think about maybe BBQ'ing and if someone has photos of Jon we bring them and put them out for everyone to look at? We can write the owner's name on the back so there are no mix ups.

Hope you don't feel like we are trying to take over your herf Jimmy. I figured input would be helpful is all. Anything you need to help make this happen, let me know. I'm free the 15th as well.

Family is kinda pulling me either on the 15th or the 22nd, lol. Gonna do my best to be there whenever it is but kinda at the mercy of family.

This was never my herf, it was always our herf. :)

The thing can't happen without the group, so everyone's input is welcome.

Let's make it happen, I just need a show of hands as to what everyone is cool with.

Thanks!

As long as it's on a Friday or Saturday this month, I'm good.

Rod made a suggestion of TAPS in Corona at Dos Lagos. He said they have a cigar friendly patio. I like that idea. And they have beer and beer is good.

TAPS is always awesome. The one in Brea is amazing, so I'm sure the Corona one is the same. I'm sure if we asked them ahead of time they would help us set it up, and maybe help us with a table for the photographs? That's if Jimmy is ok with this idea. We can do the herf later in the day so as to facilitate the shoot as well for those that can attend one or both. Thoughts?

beyond the band said:
Rod made a suggestion of TAPS in Corona at Dos Lagos. He said they have a cigar friendly patio. I like that idea. And they have beer and beer is good.

I'm fine with just doing one, seeing how much driving would be involved between the two herf locations.

edit to add: The Taps in Brea also has a cigar friendly patio. :)

emoshun said:
I'm fine with just doing one, seeing how much driving would be involved between the two herf locations.

edit to add: The Taps in Brea also has a cigar friendly patio. :)
Yes indeed it does. I know Danny has to drive from Palmdale, so perhaps Brea would be more centrally located?

Yes it is, let's make that location the spot then as it's easier for the group as a whole to reach.

Taps in Brea March 15th 4PM-whenever. (They close at 11)

Confirmed Members

Billy
Charles
Jeff
Jimmy
Matt
Rod

I should be in.  I'm gonna text Mike and see if he's in as well.

BTW, Jimmy your linky text says Corona.  We're going to Brea.