• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Spaghettie with meatballs

Kingantz

Growing too fast.
Spaghetti with Meatballs

03-22-08Imported150.jpg

Meatball Ingredients:

2 Eggs
½ Cup milk
3 Slices bread, crumbled
2 Pounds lean ground beef
½ Cup finely chopped onion
2 Tablespoons chopped parsley
1 Clove garlic, smashed and minced
1 Teaspoon salt
½ Teaspoon pepper

In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly. Add milk and bread and let stand for approximately five minutes.

03-22-08Imported030.jpg

03-22-08Imported032.jpg

Add ground beef, onion, garlic, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix gently until well blended. Shape into desired meatballs and place in generously greased shallow baking pan. Bake at 450 degrees for 25 minutes.

03-22-08Imported033.jpg

03-22-08Imported052.jpg

Hint: I keep the water running in the sink so I can continuously rinse my hands while rolling the meatballs. Keeping your hands wet keeps the meat from getting too “sticky”.

Spaghetti Sauce Ingredients:

3 Tablespoons olive oil
½ Cup chopped onion
2 Cloves garlic, smashed and minced
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Teaspoons salt
1 Teaspoon dried leaf oregano
½ Teaspoon dried leaf basil
¼ Teaspoon black pepper
1 Large can (28 to 36 ounces) crushed Italian tomatoes
2 Cans (6 ounce) tomato paste
16 Ounces thin spaghetti
1 Can chunk tomatoes 15 oz (optional)
Parmesan cheese (optional)

Peel onion and chop, set aside.

03-22-08Imported004.jpg

Peel garlic cloves (give them a good smack with the side of the knife to loosen skin). Once peeled, lay knife flat on top of garlic and using the palm of your hand, push down on the knife “smashing” the garlic (or crushing, whichever you prefer).

03-22-08Imported007.jpg

03-22-08Imported009.jpg

03-22-08Imported010.jpg

Chop/mince the garlic, set aside.

03-22-08Imported011.jpg

03-22-08Imported012.jpg

In a large pot, pour in the 3 tablespoons of olive oil and turn heat on medium-high.
Once hot, pour in the onion and garlic and let sautee’ until tender (3 – 5 minutes).

03-22-08Imported023.jpg

Remove pot from heat and add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and tomato chunks. Pour in all spices, and mix well. Place pot back on heat and turn to low, stirring often approximately 20 to 30 minutes.

03-22-08Imported024.jpg

03-22-08Imported028.jpg

My baby girl just getting up n’ still in her jammies. :D

03-22-08Imported016.jpg

I love the color of that sauce mate, it looks real nice.

I wasn't hungry before I saw the first picture. Your post is very nicely done.

Your little girl is a sweet heart.

Very nice Greg! Hope you have a lot of people over, cause that is a ton of meatballs!! :)

Don

Try browning your meatballs in a skillet and then finish cooking them in your sauce. I think you'll like the results.

Doc.

Try browning your meatballs in a skillet and then finish cooking them in your sauce. I think you'll like the results.

Doc.

Like how my mom does it. A nice deeper level of taste to th exterior of the meatball with the browning and then letting it all come together in the pot. As a kid I used to run down stairs on Sunday morning and eat the fried meatballs before they went into the sauce for breakfast. To the OP, also search for "San Marzano" tomatoes. The best. So worth it. Nice post and pictures. Thanks

Excellent recommendations! My wife doesn't like the meatballs in the sauce, so I have to cook them separately, otherwise I would definitely fry first. I will try that next time, and she'll just have to suffer. :D Looking up those maters as well, thnks for the info!!

Don - Huge crowd came and pretty much devoured the whole pile. Finished up the little bit that was left today. Was a very good day had by all, especially the baby girl who mopped up with attention and gifts. She impressively blew out her two candles all on her own! :thumbs:

Here's one for your wife. Make your meatballs as you usually do, brown them in a pot and braise them in red wine.

Doc.

We usually do half of the meatballs dry and the other half wet (browned slightly then finished in the sauce).

It all looks good!

Doc.

Amen to that.

And, garlic, when sliced, ain't properly sliced unless ya do it with a razor. :D

Doc.

Amen to that.

And, garlic, when sliced, ain't properly sliced unless ya do it with a razor. :D

It will liquefy in the pan with just a little oil. It's a very good system. :D

Here is another tip. Cook your pasta until it's about 45 second to a minute before the normal cook time. Drain the pasta, and put it in enough of the sauce to cover the pasta pretty well. Cook it that way for a minute or so. The pasta will absorb some of the sauce (any sauce, not just red gravy) and will taste better.

I hope your browning those meatballs in olive oil! :D

I believe I'm going to give this a try this week, although only half the recipe. They look great!

Oh man, lots of good cooking advice. I LIKE it! I have got to get some of those San Marzano maters and try them. Also have to find some good EVOO. All I've used is the Wally World brand. :blush: I know there's a thread with some info on EVOO, however does anyone have any recommendations? Where to get it online?

Get yourself some Colavita EVOO. It is, without a doubt, the best grocery store olive oil and it's nationally available. It runs around $15 a qt. That's not just my opinion. Any brand San Marinzano tomatoes would be fine. There's no difference from brand to brand. You really shouldn't use anything else. There is no substitute. And, stop putting onions in your sauce. No Italian would do such a thing. Never, ever use garlic and onions in the same dish if you're cooking Italian.

Bono appitito.

Doc.

Get yourself some Colavita EVOO. It is, without a doubt, the best grocery store olive oil and it's nationally available. It runs around $15 a qt. That's not just my opinion. Any brand San Marinzano tomatoes would be fine. There's no difference from brand to brand. You really shouldn't use anything else. There is no substitute. And, stop putting onions in your sauce. No Italian would do such a thing. Never, ever use garlic and onions in the same dish if you're cooking Italian.

Bona appitito.

Doc.

Doc, you are the man! Thank you for the info! No onions? Now see there, the things I learn here. That does make a lot of sense. Well, I'm off to hunt up some of those maters! Thanks again Doc!!

I forgot. No fuggin' oregano. Oregano goes on fish and pizza and not much else. Also, use fresh basil and don't add it until the sauce is done. Basil is a delicate herb and it's flavor is destroyed by heat. I'll be starting a thread soon on my family's way of cooking. I'll straighten you right out . You'll be cooking like Mario Bataglia before you know it.

Doc.