• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Special occasion smokes

other1

Cigarpassaholic. Mmm.. cigarpassahol.
Next week will be my 30th birthday. I've been wondering what to smoke in celebration. I picked up a La Aurora & Preferidos Platinum recently which is a definite possibility (I've never had one). I also thought about getting the Opus X DVD set from my local shop and smoking one of the cigars in the set.

Any other ideas? What do you smoke for a special occasion?

Padron 1926
Anejo's
Opus x
Well aged cigar from ISOM.

I have a box of Hoyo de Monterrey Particulars that I plan on smoking on my Wedding Day

Fast4Dr said:
I have a box of Hoyo de Monterrey Particulars that I plan on smoking on my Wedding Day
The whole box, damn man, its not that bad. LOL.

My special occasion cigars have been:

Padron Millenium
Padron 1926
Cohiba Robusto

interesting thread...im sure you guys suffer from the same thing i do. we have those cigars that never end up getting smoked because the we only have a couple and the timing has to be just right.

i get around this by closing my eyes and reaching into my humi on weekends. whatever i pull out i smoke.

this weekend had a 26 (mmmmmmmmm), an AF Rosado858, an AF double chateau maduro, partagas short, epi 2 (sucked),and a PG fat boy (excellent).

this AM i had an RASCC.

i have 3 milleniums that i hope dont get grabbed this weekend.

then again, every day is a special occasion!!!

barney

The Opus from the DVD set is a nice cigar to have on a special occasion. Otherwise, just go for something you haven't tried before. There can be a million suggestions made, but only you can decide what's worthy. :)

For "special occasions" which as far as I'm concerned is the sun rising :p I grab an aged Havana DC like a SLR DC, a VR DA or a SC El Morro.

Go for the LAP. I love those cigars.
I would not get the Opus X DVD set. You can buy Opi and someone is passing around the DVD from this site.

The other ones are hard to get with only a week's notice.

Another thing to do would be to go to the tobacconist and tell him your situation and ask what special cigars he has in stock. Take down the list and the prices and come back and search on here what's good and what's a good price.

Wascal said:
A 30 year old ISOM. :thumbs:
LOL. Ok.. No problem, I'll just run down to the corner 30 year old Cuban cigar shop. :p

I do have some much newer ISOMs in my humidor that would probably work. I kind of don't really feel like those are all that special though. I mean, they aren't all that unusual or hard to get, you just need to be willing to cough up the $$ for them. If I could get my hands on Opus X or something, I feel like that would be more special. I just might grab that DVD set.

Anyway, thanks for the ideas all.

Lumberg said:
Another thing to do would be to go to the tobacconist and tell him your situation and ask what special cigars he has in stock. Take down the list and the prices and come back and search on here what's good and what's a good price.
That's the worst!

Tobacconist - "Hey, I've got JUST the cigar for this occasion... it's a vintage aged La Finca from the late 80s. Yep. Only a handful of these beauties remain. I'll let you have this bad boy for a mere $50."

:0

Don't think for a second that won't happen. :p

I actually did ask my tobacconist and he recommended a Macanudo Vintage Cabinet 1988 Number III. I ended up picking one up because I do like Macanudos and I figured it would be interesting to try a 16 year old cigar. I'll probably smoke it this weekend. I'll probably smoke lots of cigars this weekend, so its more of a 'what 5 or 6 cigars are good for special occasions' than what one cigar is good for a special occasion. :)

Tough to narrow it down but here it is:

DOMESTICS
1926 No. 2 or No.9
1964 Torpedo
Opus X Robusto
AVO Signature
Just added: AVO 77

ISOM
Monte No.2
PSD4
RyJ Robusto

This is going to come off sounding wrong and pretentious. Please note that it's not meant to.

All of my smokes are "special occasion" smokes, due to the perceived quality of them. I smoke so few cigars (one per week) that I can actually afford to spend $10-20 per smoke. This keeps me in the finest that Padron, Fuente, and Cuba in general have to offer.

That said, one of my favorite smokes to date was an 00' RyJ Exhibicion #4. Not what one would consider an expensive cigar ($5).