• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Specific pipes for Specific tobacco

B.HOBS

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Hey guys,

I have really taken to smoking a pipe instead of burning a cigar here and there. I currently only have a Savinelli Duca Carlo, but really want to start buying a few more pipes to rotate through.

I plan on picking up a few MM cobs to have and try new blends in, but am confused about buying more briars. One things that eludes me is the idea of using specific pipes for specific blends/specific types of tobacco. I fully understand the concept of using a separate pipe for aro's, but what I don't get is the idea that some blends (eg: a ribbon vs. a flake) smoke better in "X" pipe than they do in "Y" pipe....how the hell do you figure that out?! Is it really just a matter of trial and error for each individual, or is there a formula or known idea of what burns better in what shape? There are specific pipes I'm looking at (Peterson Killarney Ebony and Luciano Rhodesian), but I want to make sure I have a good, small range of pipes with specific qualities for tobaccos I enjoy, without having to buy 30 pipes. What is your ideal way of shopping for a pipe?

Am I over-thinking this? Any directions and advice would be great...

It really is a matter of the individual pipe, but there are some generally accepted parameters to which some smokers adhere.

Generally speaking a large shallow bowl will be better for English blends, a narrow thick walled bowl will be better for Virginia based blends, and flakes tend to do better in smaller thick walled bowls.

Having said this, experience has shown me that it doesn't always work. I have pipes that are supposed to be good for Virginias that make most Virginias bite like hell and English blends sing. I have other pipes that are supposed to be great English blend smokers that do best with VAPers.

I think it's more a function of the block of wood and the engineering of each individual pipe. It takes trial and error, but that's part of the fun. It's also one of the reasons why I never make my mind about a blend until I've tried it in a few different pipes.

I would suggest buying pipes based on quality of the briar and your individual style. Break it in if you feel the need and then try a few different tobaccos in it to see what works. If it's not a pipe that "speaks" to you from the rack with it's beauty, you won't smoke it. That's my experience, at least.

I'm with Bastage on this...there are the loose guidelines that he mentioned, but it's mostly trial and error. I do keep a few pipes aside for aromatics but if an aromatic isn't burning well in a pipe you chose for them, try it out in something different and give that pipe a good cleaning. The salt/alcohol trick takes care of most ghosts, but for the most throrough cleaning, I've found the retort system to work best. It will still pull stuff out after the salt/alcohol cleaning that you'd never have known was in there.

I recommend a briar pipe, and obviously steer clear of the clay pipes.

I highly recommend the briar pipe!!

What's wrong with clay pipes? I have three that see regular duty when tasting tobaccos and when I'm in the mood. You can't hold the bowl, but you taste the pure tobacco better from a clay than any other pipe in my opinion. Sure, they're not for every day duty, but clay pipes are fine pipes for smoking.

Alan & Chris,

Thanks for getting in on my question. I sorta figured that its a highly subjective matter and can be entirely personal as to how you smoke/what you smoke. I guess I will just have to start buying a couple of different shapes that catch my eye, and go from there. I guessed it would come down to this....and I am terribly upset that I will have to buy some more pipes....horribly, unspeakably upset..... ;)

Cheers gentlemen.

As for my pipe collection (however small it is). My Sav Baronet Bruyere (big +- 2 in bowl) smokes Englishes great. In fact that's what I smoke all mine with. The antique pipe that I posted about is what I use with flakes cause it has a narrow deep bowl. The fold and stuff with the little air pocket below is perfect in that one. It is subjective when it comes to this I guess. Trial and error is how I got to the point I am right now. This is just my opinion too, because I've figured out what to do with the "tools" I have. YMMV of course.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.050629,-83.229174

What's wrong with clay pipes? I have three that see regular duty when tasting tobaccos and when I'm in the mood. You can't hold the bowl, but you taste the pure tobacco better from a clay than any other pipe in my opinion. Sure, they're not for every day duty, but clay pipes are fine pipes for smoking.

IIRC, I read that Russ, from Pipes and Cigars uses a clay pipe to taste individdle blend components.
Sort of piqued my curiosity, and will probably pick one up at some point when I start playing with blending tobacco tins again.

I love my Briar Pipes. I re-visited pipe smoking after joining CP. First tried it back when I was about 19 or so. I gave up as Information was not so readily available as it is today.
I also did not like any of the tobaccos I was exposed to. A lot easier to get past the learning curve these days.

I'm sure that the more experienced pipe smokers know this, but as I figure out what makes a good smoking pipe, a big factor is the Briar. I've noticed that you can definitely taste the wood, and that some are profoundly good, some just pleasant, and some are not at all. Some fresh pipes have had a wonderful Briar flavor from the get go, and some, not so great, but got better as the cake developed.

I also have discovered that the bowl treatment seems to be a factor, and depending on what is used, the break-in process is pleasant or unbearable.
Mostly all the bad ones have come around, but then again, depending on the wood, and if left natural, stained, carbon coated. the flavors will be differant, and the pipes will take time for their character to develop.

"What's wrong with clay pipes?"

my bad and yes as you said: as long as they aren't everyday use

clay over long periods have a severe increase in cancers such as of the lip due to the fact clay gets overheated

clay of course was the pipe of choice for centuries

"What's wrong with clay pipes?"

my bad and yes as you said: as long as they aren't everyday use

clay over long periods have a severe increase in cancers such as of the lip due to the fact clay gets overheated

clay of course was the pipe of choice for centuries

I'm not sure from where you are getting your information. I've smoked a clay pipe hundreds of times and never had any excessive heat anywhere near my lips. In fact, the glaze on the bit area of the pipe keeps it quite cool. The smoke from my clays is also cooler than it is from several of my briars.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If your preference is to fold and stuff flakes, then you'll probably want a taller, narrower bowl. Beyond that, just get what you like, and smoke what you like in it. I prefer to fly in the face of conventional logic. I keep a few pipes segregated for Aros, a few more chiefly for burly. The rest seem to have classified themselves as either English or VA, but that is by no means hard and fast and I often switch from one to the other. I do have one pipe that seems to be dedicated solely to heavy lat blends which is a tall, narrow, extremely thick walled bent dublin, and one that I use mostly for VA/Per flakes, that is a smaller pete bulldog with a shallow, wider bowl.