• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Split foot on two cigars

ManInBlack

I bought two EPI2 from a reputable local tobacconist about a month and a half ago. They went straight into my desktop humidor which maintains an RH of about 65%-67%. The temperature in the humidor has remained constant at between 17-19 degrees celsius. I have a Xikar digital hygrometer that I have salt tested twice in the past month and a half. I believe that I handle my cigars carefully. I certainly have not banged them around. So, I am concerned that both sticks have now developed split feet. I thought that this problem was usually caused by either rough handling or excessive humidity. As I do not believe that I have subjected either stick to either of these conditions, I am concerned. None of the roughly 40 other sticks in the humidor seem to have developed any similar problems. I am just worried that the split feet on these two cigars could be the first sign of some problem with my storage. I am still a newbie, so, I appeal to all of you. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing the damage to these cigars? Thanks in advance for your help.

(Note: I have tried searching for an answer to this question as it would seem likely that it, or some variant of it, has been asked before. I have not found any pertinent threads. But, if anyone can point me towards one, I would certainly be grateful)

Could it be that they were dry when purchased and the 65%-70% could have shocked them?.....Are they a Cameroon wrapper which is somewhat fragile to begin with?

Keystone_Raider can tell you about success he has had with wrapper glue, I have used it as well, with good success, but Jim has more experience with it.

Which local? (PM if you wish)

It doesn't like there's a problem with your storage - but just to be sure, move the hygrometer around and see what the RH is in various places - or it could be as simple as you're opening up the humidor often, and those two cigars were on top.

BTW, it is change in conditions from below 65% to above 65% that causes swelling (and subsequently split feet).

Use some pectin to fix the split wrapper.

Could it be that they were dry when purchased and the 65%-70% could have shocked them?

I had not thought of that (probably should have!).

Are they a Cameroon wrapper which is somewhat fragile to begin with?

Pardon my newbieness, but I don't actually know.

Keystone_Raider can tell you about success he has had with wrapper glue, I have used it as well, with good success, but Jim has more experience with it.

Thanks for the advice and for your thoughts, I have sent a PM to Keystone_Raider

Which local? (PM if you wish)

It doesn't like there's a problem with your storage - but just to be sure, move the hygrometer around and see what the RH is in various places - or it could be as simple as you're opening up the humidor often, and those two cigars were on top.

BTW, it is change in conditions from below 65% to above 65% that causes swelling (and subsequently split feet).

Use some pectin to fix the split wrapper.

Thanks Craig, I've sent you a PM.

Jeff, were you asleep when you asked this question, or should I proceed to make fun of you? :rolleyes:

He's just had his head up his ass lately Matt.

Don't worry though. Teresa has him scheduled for surgery next week to get a plexi-glass window installed in his lower abdomen. She figures that way he'll at least be able to see what the hell he's doing, since he can't seem pull his head out.

Jeff, were you asleep when you asked this question, or should I proceed to make fun of you? :rolleyes:

When I saw this I thought WTF...cameroon wrappers ARE fragile.....I guess I didn't see the cigars in question at first......leave me alone :D

He's just had his head up his ass lately Matt.

Don't worry though. Teresa has him scheduled for surgery next week to get a plexi-glass window installed in his lower abdomen. She figures that way he'll at least be able to see what the hell he's doing, since he can't seem pull his head out.

Hey! Just cause I injected ink in to my ear, scared the shit out of myself with my cell phone ring, and dropper a cigar while driving and damn near wrecked trying to find it doesn't mean I have my head up my ass! Leave me alone! :D

When I saw this I thought WTF...cameroon wrappers ARE fragile.....I guess I didn't see the cigars in question at first......leave me alone :D

You were just testing me, right? Maybe this was some sort of newbie initiation? ;)

No test, sorry for the distraction, carry on :) . Stick around maybe some smartasses will become your friends too :thumbs:

Geez....I get blamed for everything I do!

You were just testing me, right? Maybe this was some sort of newbie initiation? ;)

No test, sorry for the distraction, carry on :) . Stick around maybe some smartasses will become your friends too :thumbs:

Geez....I get blamed for everything I do!

You know Jeff, I can see you saying that about John,

But calling me a friend? :sign: