• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Squadron Leader

Q_The_Cop

Beware Clown!
I'm not new to pipe smoking, (Capt. Black, Half N Half, Boswells Thanks Bigjake)) but I am new to "real" pipe tobacco I thought I would try some real tobacco a while back and bought a tin of Penzance. YUK!! I heard all the rave about SL, and saw a tin at my B&M today, so I bought it. I have t say... I like it! When I first lit it up I thought "Oh my god, it smells like vomit!" But after about 2 or so minutes, it settled down into a wonderful smoke. Nice and woody, a little spicy. Very nice.

Thanks guys for expanding my pipe smoking knowledge!!

Keith

Congrats, I've really enjoyed the SL I've had as well. Don't be too quick to give up on the Penzance though, it is a wonderful smoke when smoked correctly. I'm now smoking it correctly almost 2/3 of the time and it is great when done right. Unfortunately it isn't as easy as lighting a cigar and smoking it, but practice sure is helping.

Squadron Leader is one of my go to blends. It's great.

As for the Penzance, give it another go after letting it dry out a little. It may not be to your taste, but give it a fair shake as it is a fine quality blend.

If it turns out you don't like it, I'd be glad to trade for what you have left. :)

Once I get my hands on a few different "real" blends, and get an appreciation for good tobacco, I'll go back to it and try it again. One thing I've learned here, is never give up on something. Tastes change.

I find Squadron Leader to be on the mild, almost bland side. The taste is decent, but not a go to for me.

I have a full tin with 2 bowls missing if someone would like to trade something more my taste. I need a stronger flavor profile.

Once I get my hands on a few different "real" blends, and get an appreciation for good tobacco, I'll go back to it and try it again. One thing I've learned here, is never give up on something. Tastes change.

Try some good straight Virginias and Virginias with some Perique thrown-in. Sip at the pipe; Viriginias get hot easy.

Try some good straight Virginias and Virginias with some Perique thrown-in. Sip at the pipe; Viriginias get hot easy.

This could be why I've gotten a sour taste from some of the Virginias I've smoked. Perhaps I'm smoking them too fast. I'll test this theory out tonight!

Squadron Leader is probably my number one tobacco, and can be found at pipesandcigars.com for just under 6 bucks, which makes me very happy, as every B&M in Chicago sells it for over 10. I'm also partial to the Proper English from Iwan Ries, which doesn't have quite the smokiness of SL but does the job and at 19 bucks for 8 ounces I'm happy.

I'm not quite sure how they really compare as I haven't really smoked them side by side, but the Odessey or Westminster from G.L. Pease are fairly good examples of English as well, and are close runner ups for the SL for me.

It's funny because SL was the first English I ever tried (given to me by a friend) and I was hooked before I had ever seen any of the hype around it. This just makes me agree more with the hype in the pipes section than I do with the hype in the cigars section.