• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stale pipe taste

JeremyBrotherton

I'm experiencing a problem with my new cob pipe. I've smoked a few bowls in it, but now it has a very stale pipe taste and it's tainting the flavor of my tobacco. I've cleaned it with pipe cleaners and have used tissue to wipe the bowl out but still I can taste a staleness and it is ruining my relaxing pipe experience. So here's my question, How do you get rid of or minimize the stale pipe issue? Thank you for taking the time to read this and for your response.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stale". Is it bitter? That's the problem I usually start to taste before I know an in depth cleaning is necessary.

Make sure you double up the pipe cleaners for the shank and the bowl as they are a little more open than most briars.

How many bowls is a "few"?

Do you need to sweeten it?

I don't know much about pipes, but a do smoke one every so often. After I smoke it for a while I run a little 151 through mine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "stale". Is it bitter? That's the problem I usually start to taste before I know an in depth cleaning is necessary.

Make sure you double up the pipe cleaners for the shank and the bowl as they are a little more open than most briars.

Have you ever taken a cigar and smoked it half way and let it go out then relit it up and its not as enjoyable as it was the first light up? That stale old smoke taste is what my pipe seems to have. I think I've smoked about 10 bowls now give or take a bowl. I do get a bitter makes me take the pipe out and spit a bit taste but that's normally when some of my saliva gets into the pipes mouth piece and then gets into my mouth. My cob seems to have enough room for two pipe cleaners so I'll start doing that now.

Do you need to sweeten it?

I don't know much about pipes, but a do smoke one every so often. After I smoke it for a while I run a little 151 through mine.

No I haven't yet. I'm really new to pipe smoking. What are the different sweeteners and is that what I would ask for when looking into getting some? What is a good sweetener vs a bad one?

Have you ever taken a cigar and smoked it half way and let it go out then relit it up and its not as enjoyable as it was the first light up? That stale old smoke taste is what my pipe seems to have. I think I've smoked about 10 bowls now giver or take a bowl. I do get a bitter makes me take the pipe out and spit a bit taste but that's normally when some of my saliva gets into the pipes mouth piece and then gets into my mouth. My cob seems to have enough room for two pipe cleaners so I'll start doing that now.

Doubling up the pipe cleaners will likely help. Make sure you use a bit of alcohol of some kind, too. Pay extra attention to the stem (or mouthpiece). Also, make sure to let the pipe dry out completely before the next smoke after cleaning.

If none of that works, I'm not sure what to tell you. I've rarely had the problem and whne I have, a good cleaning always works.

Good luck!

Have you ever taken a cigar and smoked it half way and let it go out then relit it up and its not as enjoyable as it was the first light up? That stale old smoke taste is what my pipe seems to have. I think I've smoked about 10 bowls now giver or take a bowl. I do get a bitter makes me take the pipe out and spit a bit taste but that's normally when some of my saliva gets into the pipes mouth piece and then gets into my mouth. My cob seems to have enough room for two pipe cleaners so I'll start doing that now.

Doubling up the pipe cleaners will likely help. Make sure you use a bit of alcohol of some kind, too. Pay extra attention to the stem (or mouthpiece). Also, make sure to let the pipe dry out completely before the next smoke after cleaning.

If none of that works, I'm not sure what to tell you. I've rarely had the problem and whne I have, a good cleaning always works.

Good luck!

Thank you I'll try this. What is the average amount of bowls or what is a good sign a pipe needs cleaned real good? If the question is too general can you give me a good idea of what to keep in mind? Thank you in advance.

There's no set number, just when the pipe starts to taste "off". A light cleaning after each smoke is essential to keeping a pipe smoking it's best. A cleaner or two through the stem and shank and a wipe down of the inside of the bowl can do wonders.

There's no set number, just when the pipe starts to taste "off". A light cleaning after each smoke is essential to keeping a pipe smoking it's best. A cleaner or two through the stem and shank and a wipe down of the inside of the bowl can do wonders.

Thank you! :)