• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Starter cigars?

CigarJim

Banned
Hey everyone, new guy here!

Been taking in A LOT of info!

Im either building a coolidor or buying a humidor this week and once everything is set up, Im kinda lost on some starter cigars to purchase.

Would it be a better idea to buy samplers, or cigars by the box... I dont really know what I like/dislike yet. Well I do to a point but not completely.

I enjoy mild/medium bodied cigars over full bodied.

Did you guys start with buying samplers, or did you go straight to buying boxes?

Thanks!

Most everyone here will agree you can't go wrong with either a padron or fuente. Find a size you like, personally, Padron 2000 is a dandy to start with. These are Good gars, not rockets.

Let's us know what you find.

Woof

Thanks Pugman,

As far as size, I REALLY like torpedo's. I smoked a montecristo torpedo #2, and that was the perfect size I think. I love the shape and look of a torpedo.

Gonna look into the padron and fuente line of cigars.

Thanks!

I would definitely recommend grabbing samplers at first. The Newbie Sampler thread might be a great place to start. Nothing's worse than having half a box left over of a cigar you've decided you don't like.

Definitely any of the Padron x000 series. Don't every buy a box of something that you are unsure if you like or not. Otherwise you'll be stuck with 20 cigars you dont like! Try some samplers, get a few 5ers.

Good luck!

ETA: looks like Gavin and I were posting at the same time! :thumbs:

Right on guys, I have a CI catalog and I might be ordering some sample packs from there soon!

Oh, and, do the sample packs come in cedar boxes by chance?

I might be building a coolidor and am gonna need empty boxes :)

Or I may just buy a 75-100 ct humi... still not sure

Jim

Right on guys, I have a CI catalog and I might be ordering some sample packs from there soon!
Jim

That might not be the greatest idea. Do what Gavin suggested and check out the Newbie Sampler Trade Thread.

The reason we push that route is sampler packs will give you one or two really good cigars, a handlful of mediocre ones, and a selection of straight up crap. With the newbie sampler threads you will get cigars that are Good Smokes (tm) every one.

Cool, ill mess around with the sampler trade thread for sure!

How bout this sampler I found: Is it worth it?:

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/proddisp.asp?item=SP-CIDD128&stext=sizzler%20no%207

Jim

Before I joined Cigarpass I ordered exclusively from CI and bought some stuff from the local cigar shop. The stuff you get from CI is Ok sometimes. The graycliffs aren't bad. People will give you mixed reviews on Gurkhas and the 5vegas is a CI house brand. They are hit or miss. The Newbie Sampler thread will hook you up trust me. The FOG's here have a ton of experience and huge collections. They were in your shoes once and know exactly what medicine to treat you with. That said...taste is what it is. People like different things. Many everyday smokers will grab a crappy cigar just for the simple fact of having a cigar in their mouth. The general consensus is that you cannot go wrong with padron or arturo fuente and thanks to the generosity of this forum I found that to be very true. The newbie sampler thread is the place to start out for sure :) Read alot, learn alot, check out the reviews and eventually you'll find your cigar. Have fun! Welcome to cigarpass!!!

I can attest to the newbie sampler thread. Don't bother buying samplers from CI or others. Do the newbie sampler, then buy boxes of what you like.

Welcome. I started with samplers from thompson cigar. I've been buying off members here lately. Good choice with the newbie sampler trade.

Did you like thompson cigar samplers?

They are only like 10 minutes from my house so I can stop in there after work....

Also, should I just get like a 75-100 ct humi and not a coolidor since I wont be buying boxes of cigars for a little while..??

Honestly they were okay. Only one cigar was slightly damaged. I'd rather buy from the members here. You know that your cigars are well cared for out of someones personal collection. You will probably get better samplers here at better prices. Not to mention you'll have access to more cigars then thompson could ever dream of.

I only use a 100 count bally humidor I got from Thompson. Still plenty of room. If I did upgrade I would just get a larger humidor. Just preference.

Cool, thanks a lot man.

I just contacted the next guy on the list for the sampler thread!

Oh and I didnt realize I could get 5 packs from CI! Im pretty happy about that, I can pick out a cigar I wanna try and get a 5er!

Do you know if the 5 packs come in wood boxes?

Gonna check out thompsons website for humidors.

the seal on that bally humidor is good then?

Cool, thanks a lot man.

Oh and I didnt realize I could get 5 packs from CI! Im pretty happy about that, I can pick out a cigar I wanna try and get a 5er!

Be sure to read the sampler thread rules thoroughly
No boxes with a fiver. If there is a box with a fiver it will probably be a small cardboard one made just for the five. (I've seen some padron 5ers like this)
The seal is good. I think at 60 bucks it was a good buy.

Definitely go the sampler route as others have recommended. I think most of not everyone on XP would agree that it is not wise to purchase a box of cigars that you've never samples before. IMHO there is a lot of crap out there, and most cigars are mediocre at best...even the ones routes as premium sticks. It really all comes down to value for your dollar, so take the time to try out different cigars before commiting to a box. You won't regret doing so.

Cool, thanks a lot man.

If you do a search you'll see Thompson's is not very well liked around here. If you are interested in a humidor I'd suggest cheaphumidors.com or perhaps cigarswag.com. I know the guys here have had much better experiences with the latter than the former.

Welcome to the hobby!

Back