• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Status of the USAF

Tactical Lift: over 24 years old (oldest – C-130E – over 44 years old)

C-130Es – 1 of 93 is grounded due to center wing cracking. Further, one is restricted for exceeding center wing service life

C-130H – 5 of 269 are restricted for exceeding center wing service life

Where do I begin? I won't comment on my current aircraft, the MC-130, as that's a little too close to what we're doing now, and I'd rather not get into that. Information on that can be found in other sources if you are curious.

My previous aircraft however, the C-130E, is what I'd like to tell you all about, just so you can put this into perspective. It's much worse than these quoted numbers say. When I was stationed at Pope AFB, NC, we had about 20 aircraft on the ramp of which about 10 were deployed to the Middle East in support of OIF/OEF. As a pilot at Pope I spent about half of each year deployed to the sandbox. Then this happened:

Hawkins and Powers Crash

Wingbox cracks became a HUGE deal and most of our fleet was immediately grounded for inspections. This happened while I was deployed and the results were startling: almost ALL of our E models at Pope- most of which were Vietnam vets- had some sort of wingbox issue. Some we could still fly with severe altitude/weight/bank angle restrictions, most were grounded with one-time flight waivers to the boneyard, and the remaining couple planes were still flyable in combat. It was VERY sobering realizing that the day prior you had been in 60 degrees of bank pulling 2g in a tactical approach- trying to avoid getting shot at- only to find out today that the wingbox is cracked and you could have pulled the wings straight off.

My squadron went into crisis mode. When we returned home from that deployment we had 6 months of currencies facing us- formation and airdrop requirements that we don't fulfill in the sandbox. We had 20+ crews that needed to fly and we had TWO flyable airplanes to use. Aircrew members went noncurrent- low level and airdrop are very perishable skills- if you don't practice, you lose your edge. Fortunately, over time we recieved planes from the guard and reserve. The actually had the foresight to buy newer airplanes and then were BRACed and their aircraft taken for their trouble.

Now we have a severe tactical airlift shortage in the AF. C-17s are great airplanes, but they're not Herks- they can't get into all the places C-130s can and there aren't as many tails available to spread around a theater. There are various plans out there to fix the problem, but nothing in the acquisitions process moves quickly. In the meantime, the users (aka the US Army) suffers.

This is just a little synopsis of my first-hand experience with this. I could go into much more detail if anyone is interested.

Barry,
Good to see you again Brother.

Stay safe, dude.

Trey

Now we have a severe tactical airlift shortage in the AF. C-17s are great airplanes, but they're not Herks- they can't get into all the places C-130s can and there aren't as many tails available to spread around a theater. There are various plans out there to fix the problem, but nothing in the acquisitions process moves quickly. In the meantime, the users (aka the US Army) suffers.

Unit Cost: C-130E, $11.9, C-130H, $30.1, C-130J, $48.5 (FY 1998 constant dollars in millions)

Unit Cost: Unit Cost: $202.3 million (fiscal 1998 constant dollars)

There is a shoratgae of C-17, because you can buy four of the J model 130's to just one C-17.

What has a greater value four aircraft or just one?

I'm a C-17 guy, but how can you argue against the Herc? I just don't want to fly in one for more than 8 hours :whistling:

Barry,
Good to see you again Brother.

Stay safe, dude.

Trey

Trey, always a pleasure. After SOS I had certainly had my fill of APTEC and flickerball. It's not such a bad course, but I still spent most of January at Hurlburt Field getting "re-blacked". :laugh:

Unit Cost: C-130E, $11.9, C-130H, $30.1, C-130J, $48.5 (FY 1998 constant dollars in millions)

Unit Cost: Unit Cost: $202.3 million (fiscal 1998 constant dollars)

There is a shoratgae of C-17, because you can buy four of the J model 130's to just one C-17.

What has a greater value four aircraft or just one?

I'm a C-17 guy, but how can you argue against the Herc? I just don't want to fly in one for more than 8 hours :whistling:

Anthony, I've always wanted to pick your brain about Barney. As a 130 driver I'm obliged to give them a rough time, but as an AF guy I've got nothing but respect for their lifestyle. It's not the Gucci-strat life- they are getting clobbered with a difficult opstempo. At the rate they're being flown, in a few years C-17s will be in the same spot C-130s are in now.

Anthony, I've always wanted to pick your brain about Barney. As a 130 driver I'm obliged to give them a rough time, but as an AF guy I've got nothing but respect for their lifestyle. It's not the Gucci-strat life- they are getting clobbered with a difficult opstempo. At the rate they're being flown, in a few years C-17s will be in the same spot C-130s are in now.

I was a C-141 guy originally and a KC- 10 guy( talk about the Gucci lifestyle) before I got to the 17. In my opinion the 17 is right there with the Herc. My only complain is cost and the insistence of the manufacturer to be so involved with everything. That is just my opinion for what it is worth. Opstempo is high and will continue for the forseable future, so you are spot on with the 17 having some high times on the frames. If I am not mistaken some of the earlier airframes at Charleston are up there in hours flown.

If you ever find yourself at McGuire let me know, I'm good for a few drinks and a like number of cigars.

As a C-17 driver you're probably familiar with this little "First timer"

Bagram Airmen recover crippled aircraft

by Staff Sgt. Jason Lake
455th Air Expeditionary Wing

2/4/2009 - BAGRAM AIRFIELD, Afghanistan (AFNS) -- More than 120 Airmen, Defense Department civilians and contractors removed a crippled C-17 Globemaster III from the runway Feb. 2 at Bagram Airfield after receiving damage while landing Jan. 30.

Emergency response crews sprang into action shortly after the aircraft screeched to a stop and base members worked around the clock to restore air operations at the airfield.

While none of the crew suffered significant injuries in the incident, the disabled aircraft presented a significant challenge to maintaining air operations.

"A lengthy runway closure is our worst nightmare at Bagram," said Brig. Gen. James M. "Mike" Holmes, the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing commander. "The Airmen, Sailors and Soldiers on the 455th AEW team work extremely hard every day to make sure coalition forces all over Afghanistan can count us to be there with close-air support, airdrop and airlift, personnel recovery, and electronic attack, when and where they need it. We knew we would have to find a way to keep doing our job while our runway was closed."

Col. Tim Strasburger, the 455th Expeditionary Operations Group commander, led a team of aviators, airfield operations members, air traffic control personnel and wing safety members to figure out how to safely continue airfield operations.

Crash recovery, emergency management, aircraft engineers and maintainers, some of whom had flown in from other bases within the theater of operations, worked tirelessly to formulate a plan and gather supplies needed to lift the more than $200 million aircraft up long enough to extend its landing gear.

"Being a first time incident did not impact our course of action. This is what we train for," said Tech. Sgt. Joseph Mixson, the lead team chief for crash recovery here. "We put together a meeting of experts on base so we could pool our resources and see what was available to work with at the time. Once we knew what assets were available we set forth an initial recovery plan outlined from the guidance provided from the disabled aircraft recovery technical order."

Lt. Col. Greg Urtso, the on-scene commander during the recovery operation, said the aircraft experts kept their focus on the recovery effort with the help of mission support personnel.

Airmen from the 455th Expeditionary Mission Support Group provided security, construction equipment, transportation, communications equipment and lodging for experts brought in from outside Afghanistan. Medics from the 455th Expeditionary Medical Support Group took air samples inside the aircraft to ensure it was safe for personnel.

"The level of cooperation and willingness to do whatever it took was awe inspiring," Colonel Urtso said.

After more than two days of concentrated effort, recovery crews managed to lift the aircraft high enough to extend its wheels and prepare it for removal from the runway.

"We used a 120-ton crane assisted by six 26-ton airbags to finally lift the aircraft from the runway," Sergeant Mixson said. "The major lesson learned was that the technical data for C-17 recovery did not list any alternate methods. We were not able to place the airbags in the positions they needed to be because the entire fuselage section was laying on the runway. Using the crane allowed us to get the airbags into position."

Shortly after the aircraft was removed from the runway, applauded the work of everyone involved in the safely executed recovery effort.

"I'm extremely proud of the whole team that raised the C-17," said Col. Clifton Blanks, the 455th Expeditionary Maintenance Group commander. "They did something that hadn't ever been done before. This event serves as another example of the true mettle of the men and women in the 455th Air Expeditionary Wing. While a group of folks were busy working the recovery of the C-17, much of the rest of the wing figured out a way to safely and effectively continue combat operations with our runway closed."

An Air Force safety board has been convened to investigate the incident.

As a C-17 driver you're probably familiar with this little "First timer"

Not a driver!

That is not the first to suffer battle damage and I'm sure it won't be the last. I'm never surprised how quickly they can do a job in theather, but try that at home station and it becomes a goat rope.

Kudos to them and their skill and leadership.