• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stocking the walk In....

smokers only

Alright for the people that dont know it yet,I bought a smoke shop that has a very nice walk In humidor.I havent takin over of the shop yet so i dont really know all of whats even In there.When I get In there Iam going to go through everything and get rid of all the junk if theres some in there! Anyhow, Iam new to the cigar world but learning more every day while Iam here on the board!

I understand that I cant just put all top notch cigars In there and we all know everyone cant buy the 15.00 and up cigars.So you have to have a mix up In there.
I think Iam going to put a couple of JR cigar brands in there also,well heres the 1st question - what would be a good start? I want what people are going to smoke,thats why Iam asking...
theres a lot of room for a lot of cigars :) so i have to fill it.

Just give me some Idea's...

thanks,matt

I walked in there a couple of days ago and i saw:
a lot of "acid"
punch
Fuente
Cohiba
But like i said ill know what everything is in there when we go through all the invintory...

SORRY SO LONG :(

First thing you need to do is get those Acids out of the humidor. If they haven't already they will contaminate the other cigars with their aroma and also get into the walls of the humidor. If you want to carry them keep them seperate. Put them is an plastic humidor and put it on a display counter so customers can see them.

Some suggestions for the humidor in no particular order:

Excalibur
CAO - all lines
Carlos Torano - all lines
Montesino
La Gloria Cubana - Regular line and Series R line.
Padron
Don Diego
Romeo y Jullieta
Ashton
Sancho Panza

Depending on your customers a good economical bundled cigar is good to have stocked. Torano makes a good bundled cigar called The Brick. Also General has a bundled cigar that is good, the problem with this one is you have to order 40 bundles at a time.

Good luck! :thumbs:

Listen to Shadow!!!! -- Acids have a tendnecy to eek out into surroundigs

Then add Partagas -- of course

Indian Tabac -- economy smokes

Acid has to be in it's own cabinet that's #1. I'm surprised that the current owner has them in the walk-in. ??? I frequent MLT at least once a week. Acids don't move much.
After the cigar boom of the 90's the clients that go to MLT have educated taste. Most of the "boutique" cigars don't sell and have been weeded out.

They can't keep high end cigars stocked up. Mainly because they sell their cigars at MSRP!

Kiss whom evers butt you need to to get on Fuente's shipping list. Send presents, women, money and order as much as you can. And sell all the OpusX and Añejo's to me!!! ;) Well at least to the our outstanding brothers here. :D

MLT is getting rid of the Montecristo line to make room. Not selling even at buy 1 get one prices.

Keep stock current as possible. When cigar buyers know that your the go to guy for newly released cigars and sell at a MSRP you'll have to beat them away with a stick so you can go home at night.

Free coffee is always nice.
Lots of accessories to look at in a Full Spectrum of prices. IE. $2 punch to $100 punch. You get the idea.

Seating is a must. (if you have room in your shop) Good ventilation is a plus!
The smell of new Spanish cedar is a plus!
Carry humidors that the average guy can afford. And a couple that he can't.

I can go on and on.
PM me if you need my opinion on anything.

LilCigarDude.gif
~Monte

Thank you all very much for the replys! Thats something I just learned about the acids! A lot of the smoke shops around here all have them in the walk in's...I wish he had only one box,that would be easy to get rid of but last time i was in there he had at least 5 box's!!! :(

Thanks for the replys...

-Matt

IMHO if you are going to carry some JR brands the El Rey del Mundo are solid not overly priced cigars that appealing. Particularly the robusto sizes.

Ditto Monte on the Fuente stuff including the Monstesino's at the lower end of the price spectrum.

You probably can't sell the JR brand since you are not a JR store.

Ask your potential customers what THEY want. A computer inventory is also nice for the customer. That way you can tell them what they bought last.

Also, I assume there will be records of past purchases from the previous owner
that will help you identify what sells.

You can carry JR cigars by going through Santa Clara,, JR's distributing arm. My local shop has been able to get the ERDM through them.

A few of the shops around me actually sell quite a few of the high end stuff like

Ashton VSG's
PAM 1926
PAM 1964
Opus and other high-end Fuentes (WOAM, BTL, DC Maximus, etc....)

which are hard for the shops to get in stock BUT when they get them, they sell out right away. If you're lucky, the previous owner had a good reputation with those distributors and you can actually get your hands on some once in a while. Don't be discouraged by the high price as you will sell them just about as fast and you get them ;)

What they don't sell in their shop, they list on their websites and they go quick.

Thank you much everyone! Man you guys are great here,very nice to have so many people willing to help...
About selling JR cigars,I called them and asked if they sold wholesale and they told me yes. So once I get in there and see what he can get and see the prices he paying for his cigars ill match the price and see.Ive heard from a good friend of mine there hard to beat with there wholesale prices,well see....

Gunpowder - Thats a great idea you said about the inventory program,I was thinking about doing something like this.Also Ill see what people are buying in there right now! But It dont hurt to put some new stock in there for the customers to try :) What program do you think is best to keep track of inventory ect..? Ive been reading some on quickbooks,A friend of mine said he could maybe get me a copy of the program cheap!! man in the stores its up there in price!

-Matt

I would think any "Contact Manager" software would do. Just type in the persons name and fill in what they bought in the "notes" area.

QB is great but very pricey. There are others similar but not as high of a price. Since you might want to do your books and inventory in the same program...that's something to consider spending money on.

LilCigarDude.gif
~Monte

smokers only said:
Thank you much everyone! Man you guys are great here,very nice to have so many people willing to help...
About selling JR cigars,I called them and asked if they sold wholesale and they told me yes. So once I get in there and see what he can get and see the prices he paying for his cigars ill match the price and see.Ive heard from a good friend of mine there hard to beat with there wholesale prices,well see....

Gunpowder - Thats a great idea you said about the inventory program,I was thinking about doing something like this.Also Ill see what people are buying in there right now! But It dont hurt to put some new stock in there for the customers to try :) What program do you think is best to keep track of inventory ect..? Ive been reading some on quickbooks,A friend of mine said he could maybe get me a copy of the program cheap!! man in the stores its up there in price!

-Matt
I know of two stores that used the software. It was linked to their register. Not sure of the program but it recorded their purchases and I assume it was linked to their phone number. Might ask around at diferent stores. The one I know of is no longer in business.

"Acid check" Just got back from the store and saw what they had. The owner has 8 box's in there right now!!! Its not a huge humidor but not small (150sf) but Iam just thinking of what i can do to not have them in there but keep them in the store.He says they sell good there and thats why he carrys them.if any one comes across pictures of something i could keep them in outside the humidor or even in side please let me know or post them,iam going to try and find something!

The onlything iam thinking about is this, he's had them in there for a while now.He said nobody has ever said anything about other cigars tasting bad but still...???

-matt

Get an acrylic humidor display and put them in there. Still available to the Acid-heads with no contamination worries.

Good idea Shadow. That would work even better then a cabinet; because you can always put other cigars in that type of display if you get rid of the Acid line down the road.

LilCigarDude.gif
~Monte

sounds good, would you keep that in the humidor(like center) or outside the humidor.do you have any ideas where i can buy this at? This is a good thing once i take them off the shelf,ill have more room for some new stuff :)

-matt

I have a buddy (Termite Man) that likes the Acids. He keeps them in a separate humidor.

Get Consuergra bundles, plenty of them, natural and maduro.

Punch
RyJ
Don Diego
Oliva
Padron
Partagas (and make sure you have the robusto's ;)
Ashton's (Cab & The vsg beli & Vsg tres mystique)
Baccarat
Cohiba
HdM
Monte's
Aurora Perferditos in the red tube
Fuente

That would give you a good line up from cheap to premium. Then take some request from your better customers. Hope this helps

Triple_D said:
I have a buddy (Termite Man) that likes the Acids. He keeps them in a separate humidor.

Get Consuergra bundles, plenty of them, natural and maduro.

Punch
RyJ
Don Diego
Oliva
Padron
Partagas (and make sure you have the robusto's ;)
Ashton's (Cab & The vsg beli & Vsg tres mystique)
Baccarat
Cohiba
HdM
Monte's
Aurora Perferditos in the red tube
Fuente

That would give you a good line up from cheap to premium. Then take some request from your better customers. Hope this helps
Thank you very much,great reply!!!

BTW - I love your web site, pit bulls are my all time fav dog! Once I get into my new house I am going to get a nice little female :)

-Matt