• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stone Imperial Russian Stout 2008

MAS_Puros

Me as a wee one with my bottle of Abyss
STONE IMPERIAL RUSSIAN STOUT 2008
irs1.jpg

Style: Imperial Russian Stout
ABV: 10.8%
Availability: Spring Release
Origin: Escondido, California
Price: $6/ Bomber

Appearance:
Poured a thick black oil-like syrup into a goblet forming a nice 2 finger head and a nice light tan color.

Smell:
Roasted coffee and chocolate, some licorice. You can definately smell the alcohol.

Taste:
This beer is excellent. Very thick and syrupy but oh so smooth. The initial first taste is bitter chocolate or coffee but quickly changes to sweet toffee and slight hints of licorice. Then you can feel the warmness of the alcohol all the way down your throat and in your tummy, wow it wams you. The hops are noticeable in the begining then malty goodness in the end.

Mouthfeel:
Very thick and syrupy. Can feel the stickiness on the tongue.

Drinkability:
This beer is very drinkable and even though the 10.8% alcohol is noticable...very smooth. Not sure if I can drink more then 1 bottle though.

Overall Impression:
I have to say this is one of the best IRS I've had so far. A must get if you can get your hands on one. I wonder what a little age will do ...

I can't wait to get mine. That stuff blows this sh$#ty Samuel Smith Imp Stout that I'm drinking right now out of the water.

Very nice review Mike! I have had 2 bottles and while I like it, I think its a bit weak compared to the 2007 and definitely the 2006 offering. I haven't put my finger on it yet, but its missing an edge that I am used to in this beer. I plan to try it again soon and will let you know if I figure it out or if my buds were just off and its as good as ever. I hope its the latter as this is one of my faves. :cool:

Damn Mike.. nice review... now that's ANOTHER one as a must try

Very nice review Mike! I have had 2 bottles and while I like it, I think its a bit weak compared to the 2007 and definitely the 2006 offering. I haven't put my finger on it yet, but its missing an edge that I am used to in this beer. I plan to try it again soon and will let you know if I figure it out or if my buds were just off and its as good as ever. I hope its the latter as this is one of my faves. :cool:
Since this is my first time having one I can't really compare it to the past release, but nonetheless I really enjoyed it!

Hey Tim PM me your addy ... I will get a little care package to you :whistling: :rolleyes:

Let's just make this part of our Big Beer Blinder when the time comes, shall we? ;)

Let's just make this part of our Big Beer Blinder when the time comes, shall we? ;)
Alright you got it Mike! :thumbs:

dont get your hopes too high since you have three floyds irs all the time! :laugh:

True,, very true...

And for those of you that are counting.. 32 more days
32 Days til Dark Lord? Man I hate you guys.... ;)

Trust me bro, there is NOTHING more important happening in 32 days than DLD.

Nice review. This stuff sounds excellent I hope my local gets it in soon. They sell the IPA and Arrogant Bastard so I would expect them to.

Havent tried the 08 yet. Will try it when I go to cali this summer. Agree with denverdog about the 06 and 07. While I liked the 07, the 06 was excellent! :thumbs:

You have no idea how lucky you are. I live in Illinois, where they don't distribute Stone Brewing Co. I had the privalege of going to the factory tour when I was in San Diego (the road trip to the brewery from SD was worth it). Arrogant Bastard, Double AB, Levitation, etc. All top notch, and the brewery is top notch also. Be proud and thankful that you live where you can get this wonderful beer.
P.S. Anyone ever tried their casks or brandy aged beers?