• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

storage help

mhn

Okay, so the humidor I built doesnt quite hold humidity as well as I would have hoped, actually it did, but it doesn't anymore (long story, don't ask). But it's okay b/c there's more than one way to skin a cat.

So basically I now have a very nice looking cabinent in which to hold air-tight storage bins that will hold my cigars. What I need to know is, does anyone have any exp. with tupperware/rubbermaid/sterilite (sp?) storage bins? I will not be using a cooler, so if you have used bins like these and can recommend a brand/line/model (you get the picture) that would be great. I'm most worried about identifying them as air-tight.

does that make sense?

thanks!
Mike

Hey Mike ... as long as you have a solid cabinet, you can make it airtight by lining it tightly with styrofoam planks and a rubber seal (or just make sure your styro around the door is very sturdy and tight-fitting.

As for airtight containers ... Wal-mart sells some great large rubbermaid containers for $5 - $6 each. They are very good, solid containers. I would actually drill some tiny holes (use the smallest bit you can find) in the top to allow for a little breathing if you don't want to have to open them to allow for air exchange. This is similar to leaving the drain open on a large cooler.

at k mart they sell martha stewrat tupperware that works gret! i posted a thread. cheaper than wal-mart.

jc

Lum, those aren't the glass ones are they?

also, do you remember how big you could get them in? I'm looking to get a few large ones since the cabinent is pretty big.

tell me a story :D

sorry, couldn't help it.

why drill holes? why not just not close the lid all the way, leave like a little bit of the flap open. this way, you won't have to re cover those holes if you made a mistake or you break it somehow or something.

i dunno. just seems kind of unnecessary.

it'd almost be like drilling holes in humidors.

wait, that'd be cool. never mind.

thejollyco said:
why drill holes? why not just not close the lid all the way, leave like a little bit of the flap open. this way, you won't have to re cover those holes if you made a mistake or you break it somehow or something.

i dunno. just seems kind of unnecessary.

it'd almost be like drilling holes in humidors.
Humidors are not 100% airtight.

Besides that, most humis are opened (more) frequently.

tupperware-like containers and coolers are completely airtight. If they aren't opened every once in a while (or vented in some other way), then there is no fresh air exchange, and no way for gasses (ammonia, anyone?) to vent out.

Drilling the tiny holes in long-term tupperware containers (as opposed to someone who might use theirs as a daily container and open it frequently) or leaving the drain open on a cooler means that you don't have to dig it out and open it for the air exchange (as much - even with the holes or the drain open, you still need to open it *sometimes* ... just not nearly as often).

mhn said:
Lum, those aren't the glass ones are they?

also, do you remember how big you could get them in? I'm looking to get a few large ones since the cabinent is pretty big.
mhn
; nope.

i got a multi-pack but i think you can get sigle large ones.\

also wtf r u guys talking about with the holes n sh!t?

just seal the stupid things and open 'em when you want to get a cigar out!

Lumberg said:
also wtf r u guys talking about with the holes n sh!t?

just seal the stupid things and open 'em when you want to get a cigar out!
agreed...i would venture to guess that even if someone uses one for loooong term aging, they still cannot resist opening it every once in a while to make sure all is well or to rearrange them :D