• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storage Location

Just a thought,stop playing with the AC. People shut it off when they go to work then on again when they come home.
Some place them on timer. My advise would be to STOP playing with it. The AC has to hit its target temp.
That means cooling the walls, furniture, everything in the room. Once that is done, the "cost" of getting you to that
point is the $$$$. After that, you are maintaining that temperature.

My AC will come on after everything is cool, when it needed. By "playing" with it on, off, on, off, "not here, I'm home"
mindset no wonder the cost is so high.Pay to get it there once, and stop playing with it.Get a AC unit that has a
energy star rated that will maintain a room by coming on when needed. Cool just one room, like your bedroom and place the Humi in there.
Just remember to set it and walk away......

I agree fully with this statement. I am a Commercial HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) service tech. I am always directing people in this way. What I tell them is during a hot spell set you cooling and let it go if you are consistently playing with the thermostat you will actually increase you energy costs. Look at it this way when you first bought your humidor you got it home you needed to season the wood. For some this took 24 hours but for most it is a couple of days. If you stay on top of refilling your humidifier you humidity stays perfect. If you let you humidor dry out you will need to reseason it. Keeping on top of the humidity reduces the effort and trouble if you let it dry out and need to reseason it. Same goes for a home in the extreme heat and for some in the extreme cold. If you use a setback feature on thermostats of play with turning it off and on during times you are not home you are actually creating a harder work load for you A/C. One thing to always remember is that its not just the air in the space being cooled or heated it is everything. Like Bayamos said if you turn your a/c off everything in your house (walls, floors, furniture...) including the house itself rises in temperature. Now you’re A/C will have to "reseason" your house. Now keep in mind this is a case by case basis but is your best option during extreme consistant temps.

Paul

Just a thought,stop playing with the AC. People shut it off when they go to work then on again when they come home.
Some place them on timer. My advise would be to STOP playing with it. The AC has to hit its target temp.
That means cooling the walls, furniture, everything in the room. Once that is done, the "cost" of getting you to that

My AC will come on after everything is cool, when it needed. By "playing" with it on, off, on, off, "not here, I'm home"
mindset no wonder the cost is so high.Pay to get it there once, and stop playing with it.Get a AC unit that has a
energy star rated that will maintain a room by coming on when needed. Cool just one room, like your bedroom and place the Humi in there.

I agree fully with this statement. I am a Commercial HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) service tech. I am always directing people in this way. What I tell them is during a hot spell set you cooling and let it go if you are consistently playing with the thermostat you will actually increase you energy costs. Look at it this way when you first bought your humidor you got it home you needed to season the wood. For some this took 24 hours but for most it is a couple of days. If you stay on top of refilling your humidifier you humidity stays perfect. If you let you humidor dry out you will need to reseason it. Keeping on top of the humidity reduces the effort and trouble if you let it dry out and need to reseason it. Same goes for a home in the extreme heat and for some in the extreme cold. If you use a setback feature on thermostats of play with turning it off and on during times you are not home you are actually creating a harder work load for you A/C. One thing to always remember is that its not just the air in the space being cooled or heated it is everything. Like Bayamos said if you turn your a/c off everything in your house (walls, floors, furniture...) including the house itself rises in temperature. Now you’re A/C will have to "reseason" your house. Now keep in mind this is a case by case basis but is your best option during extreme consistant temps.

Paul

While this sounds intuitive, thermodynamically I don't think this works? The energy you are using to maintain the temperature in a room/house should be the same amount of energy that is coming into the space to heat it. If the heat ever reaches a maximum level, then the energy that would normally be used to cool the incoming energy is saved because the room can no longer accept any additional energy. But since the issue at hand is to maintain a consistent temperature for cigar maintenance, best bet is to get an isolated system (cooler/vino temp).

So I guess the sustained strain on the AC unit to run continuously upon your return increases the energy load significantly? I was corrected by a co-worker.

Paul

While this sounds intuitive, thermodynamically I don't think this works? The energy you are using to maintain the temperature in a room/house should be the same amount of energy that is coming into the space to heat it. If the heat ever reaches a maximum level, then the energy that would normally be used to cool the incoming energy is saved because the room can no longer accept any additional energy. But since the issue at hand is to maintain a consistent temperature for cigar maintenance, best bet is to get an isolated system (cooler/vino temp).

So I guess the sustained strain on the AC unit to run continuously upon your return increases the energy load significantly? I was corrected by a co-worker.

So what your saying is that if he or anyone else was to turn their A/C off for the day and come home after a long hot day let’s say +100F it will take the same amount of energy to cool the house back down verses leaving it running all day? Again like I said this is a case by case basis. He has a problem during really hot days 100F he shuts his A/C off during the day then comes home and turns it back on. Yes the “air temp.” I imagine will go down quickly but everything else in the home is still “heat soaked”. Perfect example of that is his humidor which is an item in the home is still reading 85F but yet I bet his thermostat in the home is reading lower. If he took a temperature gun and shot his couch, desk, humidor or any other piece of furniture the surface temp of the item would be dramatically higher than the air temp in the home. Yes for the sake of his smokes get a wine cooler of some sort. This way he doesn’t need A/C just for his smokes thus lowering his utility bills. When it comes to any home in this type of extreme weather it is by far cheaper and less strain on any equipment to pick a reasonable temperature (72-74F) and stick with it.

Edit got your edit after I posted this. Yes that is correct!