• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Storing Boxes in humi?

LAWDOG

How should I store my boxes completely closed or crack em open a bit?

I usually crack mine open more the further away the boxes are from the humidity source. So the boxes closest to the beads or whatever you are using are not cracked open and the one's farthest away are cracked open alot. The boxes in between are cracked open in relation to how far from the beads they are located.

None of my boxes are cracked open at all, and I've not noticed any differnce between the boxes. Kinda makes me think of a round about cello on/off question just in regards to boxes. I think it's personal prefrence.

I usually crack mine open more the further away the boxes are from the humidity source. So the boxes closest to the beads or whatever you are using are not cracked open and the one's farthest away are cracked open alot. The boxes in between are cracked open in relation to how far from the beads they are located.

I hope you're kidding. No offense. If serious, I'm much lazier. I never keep boxes open and it has worked fine for me.

I prefer closed...it (IMHO) keeps the cigars from having as much recovery time when you open and close the humi. I also think it helps the humidor itself recover faster. All in all a good thing. On the other hand I won't hurt your cigars to have the box open..it just makes it a closed tray instead of a box.

Just my 2 cents.

R

I hope you're kidding. No offense. If serious, I'm much lazier. I never keep boxes open and it has worked fine for me.

Oh yeah I was just kidding. I forgot the smilie faces I guess. ;)

LAWDOG, Keep the boxes closed. You can even keep them sealed as well and they'll be fine.

I have all my boxes in closed zip-lock bags...the ones that I have put down for longterm aging gets two zip-locks....All singles also get their own zip-lock bag...Oxygen is not your friend when it comes to storing cigars...You should try to isolate the box as much as possible...airing out the boxes will only speed up the aging prosess, and the cigars will not age very well...The zip-locks will slowly breath, and therefore keep the correct humidity without any swings.
Storing cigars is a very big and complex question, but this is IMO the absolute best way to store you`re boxes...so close the lid :cool:

I have all my boxes in closed zip-lock bags...the ones that I have put down for longterm aging gets two zip-locks....All singles also get their own zip-lock bag...Oxygen is not your friend when it comes to storing cigars...You should try to isolate the box as much as possible...airing out the boxes will only speed up the aging prosess, and the cigars will not age very well...The zip-locks will slowly breath, and therefore keep the correct humidity without any swings.
Storing cigars is a very big and complex question, but this is IMO the absolute best way to store you`re boxes...so close the lid
cool.gif

This is s spoof...right?

there`s hundreds of threads on the subject out there...and to sum it up in a few words:

- longterm aging: always use 1-2 ziplock bags per box.
- resting / maturing: ziplock is best to use, but ok to drop it.
- resting / for smoking now: just store in box without zip, but do NOT have the lid open...this will only have bad effects on the cigars.

I prefer a nice tight box.
That way the seal is juuuuust right!

I too prefer a tight box. Wait what was the question?

I like ones with just a little crack, not too big though.

Endowment problem, fellas?

Doc.

You must be the president of FUPA. :whistling:

I too prefer a tight box. Wait what was the question?

I like ones with just a little crack, not too big though.

Endowment problem, fellas?

Doc.

Then of course Doc, who reminds you of pecker checking or endowment problems. The focus hasn't drifted.

no, why would it be?
This is the way that all serious collectors of CC`s use....why would it not work for NC`s?

Heres a few threads on storing cigars:

Airing out boxes

Vacuum seal

more on ziplock

even more on ziplock

There is no way that I'm signing up for a website to read about this method. It is madness... One thing that is important to know about the internet, just because someone talks about something on the internet doesn't mean "everybody does it" or that it is a particularly good idea. Internet forums concentrate the thoughts and actions of tens or hundreds of thousands of people into the voice of the most vocal 10. Also, just because this idea has spread on that particular forum doesn't mean that people are doing it elsewhere. I haven't seen anything about ziplocks for aging anywhere on this website, so according to your logic, no one does it...

"Slowing down the aging" or whatever they are talking about isn't necessarily a good thing. If your goal is to get rid of the ammonia, which would probably be job one, then exchanging the air around the cigars is the fastest way to do it.

Aside from being annoyingly complicated, it is just plain ugly. Who wants to open up their cabinet and see a bunch of ziplocks? Who wants to open up their desktop and smell plastic?... I seriously doubt it makes that much difference. I'll just stick to my plebeian storage methods using the boxes that the manufacturers shipped the cigars in.

And before it comes up, I'm pretty sure they cello or shrink wrap the outside of the boxes to hold in humidity, since the shipping boxes aren't humidified.

Thanks for noticing Doc!
wink.gif

As for aging and air circulation, search this forum for a while as it's been discussed.

Think about it, what do they do in a warehouse that keeps them for years or a shop that has a 'cave'.
They don't ziplock or seal...why would I?

I suppose you could go by the example of leaving wine bottles sealed for aging...but then again, when will it really be 'done'
unsure.gif

edit - It seems 'bruce' has some very sound feedback - in the first linky you provide.
Also, when you search here, look up the thread about aging a cab vs box...and the 'what happens and why' regarding humidity and air flow.

Scientifically, I would question the actual 'fermentation' process of tobacco...does it need air???

[/quote]There is no way that I'm signing up for a website to read about this method. It is madness... One thing that is important to know about the internet, just because someone talks about something on the internet doesn't mean "everybody does it" or that it is a particularly good idea. Internet forums concentrate the thoughts and actions of tens or hundreds of thousands of people into the voice of the most vocal 10. Also, just because this idea has spread on that particular forum doesn't mean that people are doing it elsewhere. I haven't seen anything about ziplocks for aging anywhere on this website, so according to your logic, no one does it...

"Slowing down the aging" or whatever they are talking about isn't necessarily a good thing. If your goal is to get rid of the ammonia, which would probably be job one, then exchanging the air around the cigars is the fastest way to do it.

Aside from being annoyingly complicated, it is just plain ugly. Who wants to open up their cabinet and see a bunch of ziplocks? Who wants to open up their desktop and smell plastic?... I seriously doubt it makes that much difference. I'll just stick to my plebeian storage methods using the boxes that the manufacturers shipped the cigars in.

And before it comes up, I'm pretty sure they cello or shrink wrap the outside of the boxes to hold in humidity, since the shipping boxes aren't humidified.
[/quote]

what??
ICC is the best and biggest onling website for cuban cigars...and this is not madness at all....or maybe Min Ron Nee and WayneN who probably has one of the largest collectiones of vintage cubans in the world just dont`t know what they are talking about.... yeah right...

And why do`s ALL serious collectors of cuban cigars around the world use this method if its just bullshit??

Don`t get me wrong, I don`t care how you store your cigars...but I find it strange that you will basically laugh at a method that you self know nothing about...maybe you should do a little reading on the subject, before you knock it.
And the reason for this not beeing discussed on the non-cuban website, is that this is for LONGTERM aging 10-20 years...who ages non-cubans for that long...?
So you might be right, because this is probably something that collectors of NC`s don`t need to know about...but this is one of the most discussed subjects in the CC world. And I thought that all cigar smokers would find it interesting to learn about correct aging tobacco...guess I was wrong.