• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Striking out

beastinem

Well in my search for a cigar that suits my taste, I have visited Cigar Shops/Lounges in Savannah GA, Tampa FL, San Antonio TX, Biloxi MS, and multiple places in between. So far I have struck out many times and wasted a lot of money doing so.

Basically I am looking for a very smooth/mild smoke as I am new to cigars and do not smoke anything else. Some of the brands I have tried have had one characteristic but not another and so the search continues. So my question is, can anybody recommend a cigar that is mild AND has a nice cigar smell. The cigar smell part is more so for my wife. She HATES the smell of cigarettes and unfortunately most of the cigars I have tried have had a very strong smell more so like a cigarette than a cigar. Does such a cigar exist? A mild AND a sweet smelling smoke? If so I would love to hear some recommendations. Below are the most recent cigars I have tried along with my opinion of each.

** I read that the Macanudo Gold is a very mild cigar (seems like the most popular). The cigar lounge I went to today did not have the Macanudo Gold so I had to settle for a Portofino. I do plan on trying the Macanudo Gold when I find it.

- Heavenly Cigars - I have only tried the petites. I love how mild they are but they do not have a "cigar smell"

- Portofino - Tried this today. Again, it was VERY mild but had a bad smell (according to my wife). I didn't care for the smell either.

- Cojimar (Cherry) - This had a nice taste on the tip but was just an average smoke all around. Kind of mild but not the greatest smell.

- Flavour CAO Moontrance - Not sure if this is the actual name of the cigar but it's what was on the wrapper. It had a REALLY nice smell to it before it was lit AND during the smoke. Not QUITE the traditional "cigar smell" that I am looking for but it was nice. BUT, the taste was VERY bitter. The guy that recommended it at the shop did so because I told him that I started out on Black N' Milds. And he said "if you like B&M's then you will like this.". Boy was he wrong. Not mild at all. Left that "stinging" feel on my tongue.

There was one that a lady at another lounge recommended and said it was a very popular "mild" cigar but she was very wrong. Horrible taste. Wish I could remember what it was :\

Anyways, hopefully this is not just some rambling thread and that somebody knows what I am talking about when I say "cigar smell". I just love when I walk somewhere and I get a whiff of a nice cigar. Just wish I could find one that has that smell.

Well in my search for a cigar that suits my taste, I have visited Cigar Shops/Lounges in Savannah GA, Tampa FL, San Antonio TX, Biloxi MS, and multiple places in between. So far I have struck out many times and wasted a lot of money doing so.

Basically I am looking for a very smooth/mild smoke as I am new to cigars and do not smoke anything else. Some of the brands I have tried have had one characteristic but not another and so the search continues. So my question is, can anybody recommend a cigar that is mild AND has a nice cigar smell. The cigar smell part is more so for my wife. She HATES the smell of cigarettes and unfortunately most of the cigars I have tried have had a very strong smell more so like a cigarette than a cigar. Does such a cigar exist? A mild AND a sweet smelling smoke? If so I would love to hear some recommendations. Below are the most recent cigars I have tried along with my opinion of each.

** I read that the Macanudo Gold is a very mild cigar (seems like the most popular). The cigar lounge I went to today did not have the Macanudo Gold so I had to settle for a Portofino. I do plan on trying the Macanudo Gold when I find it.

- Heavenly Cigars - I have only tried the petites. I love how mild they are but they do not have a "cigar smell"

- Portofino - Tried this today. Again, it was VERY mild but had a bad smell (according to my wife). I didn't care for the smell either.

- Cojimar (Cherry) - This had a nice taste on the tip but was just an average smoke all around. Kind of mild but not the greatest smell.

- Flavour CAO Moontrance - Not sure if this is the actual name of the cigar but it's what was on the wrapper. It had a REALLY nice smell to it before it was lit AND during the smoke. Not QUITE the traditional "cigar smell" that I am looking for but it was nice. BUT, the taste was VERY bitter. The guy that recommended it at the shop did so because I told him that I started out on Black N' Milds. And he said "if you like B&M's then you will like this.". Boy was he wrong. Not mild at all. Left that "stinging" feel on my tongue.

There was one that a lady at another lounge recommended and said it was a very popular "mild" cigar but she was very wrong. Horrible taste. Wish I could remember what it was :\

Anyways, hopefully this is not just some rambling thread and that somebody knows what I am talking about when I say "cigar smell". I just love when I walk somewhere and I get a whiff of a nice cigar. Just wish I could find one that has that smell.

Use the search function. There are a few threads, I believe, that cover this question. Also, the Newbie Sampler Trade is the way to go! The FOG's will definitely take care of you. If you search around a little bit on the boards before posting questions you'll find that many of them have been answered already. CP is a great community and a great resource!

My recommendation for what you're looking for....try and see if you can find the Rocky Patel Connecticut. Not an amazing smoke but it can be quite pleasant. Good luck!

I am a huge fan of Mya cigars. I find them to be very mild and very flavorful. If you go to their web site they have all the vitolas they offer. You have to call up to place an order, as they do not have an online store. I have done this twice and have not had any problems. George is the employee (maybe owner) who I have talked to. He was very helpful.

I am a huge fan of Mya cigars. I find them to be very mild and very flavorful. If you go to their web site they have all the vitolas they offer. You have to call up to place an order, as they do not have an online store. I have done this twice and have not had any problems. George is the employee (maybe owner) who I have talked to. He was very helpful.

I started off with an Arturo Fuente Curly Head, very affordable, very smooth, tastes like a quality peanut butter too me. It was what I first stalked my humidor up with before I put on my big boy drawers and started smoking the good stuff!!!

Use the search function. There are a few threads, I believe, that cover this question. Also, the Newbie Sampler Trade is the way to go! The FOG's will definitely take care of you. If you search around a little bit on the boards before posting questions you'll find that many of them have been answered already. CP is a great community and a great resource!

My recommendation for what you're looking for....try and see if you can find the Rocky Patel Connecticut. Not an amazing smoke but it can be quite pleasant. Good luck!

Thanks for the responses guys. Bluue13, I actually did use the search function before posting. That is actually where I got the recommendations for Macanudo Gold and Portofino. I just wanted to make something personal so I could get a little more in depth by stating what I had tried and what I liked/disliked about each. I will be sure to look into the Arturo Fuente's and the Mya cigars. Thank you.

If you like mild, have you tried black and milds?:laugh: Just messing with ya. I would recommend the Oliva or Camacho Connecticut or maybe Macanudo Hampton Courts. I tend to like more medium to full cigars but thought these were on the mild side. Hope this helps.

Seems like the "good" cigar smell you're seeking may come from some type of flavored/infused or sweetened cigar. IMO, the higher quality cigars generally don't have that smell that non cigar smokers may associate with good smelling cigar smoke.

Have you tried Acids? The Blondies are pretty mild and a bit sweet.

I'm trying to remember who sells them . . . JR, maybe? There's a cigar out there that's made with pipe tobacco. I have no idea what they taste like, but if you're looking for something that smells great, that's probably your huckleberry.

For me, some of the cigars that taste the best seem to leave the worst smell in the mancave. It's just how it is.

~Boar

I'm trying to remember who sells them . . . JR, maybe? There's a cigar out there that's made with pipe tobacco. I have no idea what they taste like, but if you're looking for something that smells great, that's probably your huckleberry.

For me, some of the cigars that taste the best seem to leave the worst smell in the mancave. It's just how it is.

~Boar

This has peaked my interest. If there is one smell I love better than a nice cigar smell......it's a pipe smell. Never tried smoking a pipe, but man they smell great. I will have to look into this.

And woodbm, no offense taken. I do smoke Black N' Milds, lol. Can't get offended for that one obviously :)

Maybe you could smoke by yourself. If she hates cigar smoke, you may be out of luck.

Try something from the Ashton or Davidoff Classic Series. They're not cheap, but they are mild and flavorful and much, much better than Macs.

Doc.

~Boar

This has peaked my interest. If there is one smell I love better than a nice cigar smell......it's a pipe smell. Never tried smoking a pipe, but man they smell great. I will have to look into this.

And woodbm, no offense taken. I do smoke Black N' Milds, lol. Can't get offended for that one obviously :)

You might give pipes a shot then. We have a pretty good section about pipes here at CP. It can be a cheaper endeavor as well when compared to cigars. One thing that holds true for pipes and cigars is that if you are smoking to please others with the aroma, you will most likely be sacrificing taste. If others don't like the smell of a real cigar or unflavored pipe tobacco smoke, smoke somewhere else or tell them to GTFO. :laugh:

Pipe might please the little woman. I have been trying the pipe but to me smoking a pipe vs a cigar is like masturbating to having real sex. The cigar to me is like the real thing.
(insert clever lewd comments here guys ) :sign:

~Boar

You might give pipes a shot then. We have a pretty good section about pipes here at CP. It can be a cheaper endeavor as well when compared to cigars. One thing that holds true for pipes and cigars is that if you are smoking to please others with the aroma, you will most likely be sacrificing taste. If others don't like the smell of a real cigar or unflavored pipe tobacco smoke, smoke somewhere else or tell them to GTFO. :laugh:

I actually have been meaning to give a pipe a try. My wife's grandfather has a large collection and says I could use any one that I want to give it a try. Just gotta make my way out to his house to pick one up. I will be sure to check out the pipe section of this forum first before I go out and actually buy any tobacco for it.

I know it might seem like I am trying to please my wife with the smell, and I am a little. But it is for me as well. I find that a good smelling cigar takes me to a very relaxed state. I can't explain it, but I am sure a lot of you know and I don't have to. Nonetheless, I will continue my search for the perfect cigar that suits my taste. Once I find it, I will dub it my "go to" cigar and then start branching out from there :)

Devil Doc, you say that the Ashtons and Davidoffs are "much better" than the Macanudos. When you say "better" are you referring to the overall smoke or were you saying they are milder? I will keep an eye out for them and price them at the few cigar lounges here in my area. Thank you.

Try Durango cigars. Go to the website and I think you can request a sample. If not, I believe the prices are quite right and smells just like a great Cavandish and Burley Pipe tobacco.. Let me know how it goes.

Try Durango cigars. Go to the website and I think you can request a sample. If not, I believe the prices are quite right and smells just like a great Cavandish and Burley Pipe tobacco.. Let me know how it goes.

Wow, thanks Ramjet. I was looking on their site and found the email to request a free sample. I am going to email them now.

Have you smoked a lot of their stuff? Or any for that matter? If so, which would you suggest?

Durango Blends

May I suggest that you give the Oliva Serie G a shot. Mild cigar, and to me smells pretty decent.

I started off with an Arturo Fuente Curly Head, very affordable, very smooth, tastes like a quality peanut butter too me. It was what I first stalked my humidor up with before I put on my big boy drawers and started smoking the good stuff!!!

Well I made my way down to the bigger Cigar Lounge in my area (about 45 minute drive) and took my list with me. Of all the cigars recommended to me so far, the only one they had in stock was the Arturo Fuente Curly head. The lady that worked there didn't think they had any because she had never heard of it. But she found it in the system and after some searching, we located them. I gotta say, you were right. It was DEFINITELY the mildest cigar I have tried to date. It was quite enjoyable. Thank you very much for the recommendation wkoti!

They had no Oliva Series G, no Macanudo Golds, and no Durango. These three I am still on the lookout for. I think I will make my way down to Tampa this weekend and browse around.

Also, a friend of mine was smoking an Opus X Pussycat and let me try it. Gotta say, I have read the good reviews on them but they are definitely a bit strong for my taste. A very peppery taste to it. Just not my style I guess. The Pussycats are $11.00 here. Glad I didn't buy it to try it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!

Well I made my way down to the bigger Cigar Lounge in my area (about 45 minute drive) and took my list with me. Of all the cigars recommended to me so far, the only one they had in stock was the Arturo Fuente Curly head. The lady that worked there didn't think they had any because she had never heard of it. But she found it in the system and after some searching, we located them. I gotta say, you were right. It was DEFINITELY the mildest cigar I have tried to date. It was quite enjoyable. Thank you very much for the recommendation wkoti!

They had no Oliva Series G, no Macanudo Golds, and no Durango. These three I am still on the lookout for. I think I will make my way down to Tampa this weekend and browse around.

Also, a friend of mine was smoking an Opus X Pussycat and let me try it. Gotta say, I have read the good reviews on them but they are definitely a bit strong for my taste. A very peppery taste to it. Just not my style I guess. The Pussycats are $11.00 here. Glad I didn't buy it to try it.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!!

Good luck on your search in Tampa. By the way...by NYC standards, $11 for a Pussycat is a steal.