• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Strong Cigars and a full stomach

ckeller52

"All the Twitters. I know them."
Cigar ad's and reviews are always mentioning that the cigar in question is medium to full bodied or it's referred to as a "Powerhouse" and should not be smoked by a beginner or during daylight hours and you should have defiantly had a large meal beforehand.

What does food, sunlight and being a newbie have to do with smoking a cigar?

The part that really has me is the food part. Why do I need to eat before I smoke a strong cigar? Does it enhance the flavor? Or is it so I'll have something to hurl if I'm a newbie and it makes me sick? :rolleyes:

Actually it'll stop you from barfing. I will not smoke a Tat Regios without eating something first.

It is kind of like drinking on an empty stomach but in this case the nicotine and tobacco punch will hit you harder if you haven't eaten.

....try a Power Ranger and a cup of fresh, strong, black coffee first thing in the AM. Now, THAT is the "Breakfast of Champions"..... :laugh:

Regards - B.B.S.

....try a Power Ranger and a cup of fresh, strong, black coffee first thing in the AM.
Regards - B.B.S.

Actually I'll smoke a Power Ranger in the morning with a glass of ice tea....and that's without eating first. Power Rangers don't have that much of a kick for me.

I had a huge CAO MX2 on an empty stomach once and I couldn't drive for over 2 hours. Now I only smoke small or milder cigars on an empty stomach. I would say food 'dilutes' the nicotine. I have also noticed that some sort of stronger alcohol with a cigar helps too...something like a cognac, brandy or whiskey...my guess is that the sugar either present in the drink or produced after consumption counters the nic also.

I've never noticed a difference between empty and full stomach with my white owls or swishers. I guess I'm just hard core

I have also noticed that some sort of stronger alcohol with a cigar helps too...something like a cognac, brandy or whiskey...my guess is that the sugar either present in the drink or produced after consumption counters the nic also.

I believe nicotine is a stimulant and alcohol is a depressant. The alcohol should help cancel some of the effects of nicotine.

....try a Power Ranger and a cup of fresh, strong, black coffee first thing in the AM. Now, THAT is the "Breakfast of Champions"..... :laugh:

Regards - B.B.S.

Thinking about it the nicotine/caffeine combo could be pretty potent for someone not ready for it. :D

Edit to add a little.

Had a LFD Double Ligero Chisel Maduro for breakfast once, felt fine.

This is how I understand it, as described by my flight doc and fellow BOTL:

While the nicotine is the agent of the problem, it is not the stimulant effects that cause sickness with strong cigars. Whenever you smoke, your saliva picks up some of the ambiant nicotine from the smoke in your mouth, and whether or not you are a large salivator or not, a "spitter" or not, quantities of the nicotine laced saliva will always travel to teh stomach during smoking. With high-nicotine content cigars, the larger quantities of nicotine in the saliva irritate the stomach lining. If your stomach is empty of food, then the combination of nicotine and stomach acid will irritate the lining enough that the bodies response is nausea and vomiting to expell the irritant. Food will keep the ratio of irritants so low that the lining is not irritated enough to cause this reation, just as eating while you drink slows the absorbtion of alcohol.

-K-

From linky:

If you smoke, or use any form of tobacco, improving your posture while you eat isn’t going to do much for your condition. Why? Smoking/nicotine is a direct contributing factor to acid reflux and to chronic heartburn caused by gastroesophageal refulx disorder (GERD). Therefore, engaging in any tobacco use – cigarettes, cigars, pipes, snuff and chewing tobacco – can not only become a literal pain in the chest, for GERD sufferers it can even disrupt sleep and interfere with your lifestyle.

The following are six ways in which smoking directly affects acid reflux:

1.Decrease in saliva production - Cigarette smoking inhibits saliva production, and eats up most of the bicarbonates within the saliva produce. Bicarbonates help neutralize stomach acid, and saliva works to coat the oesophagus to lessen the effects of acid that refluxes up from the stomach. Saliva also helps to wash acid in the oesophagus back to the stomach.

2.Increase in acidity – Nicotine encourages the production of stomach acid.

3.Bile salt movement – Smoking appears to encourage the movement of bile salts to the stomach from the intestines. Stomach acids are even more harmful when bile salts are present.

4.Direct injury to the oesophagus – Smoking can cause direct harm to the oesophagus by making it vulnerable to acid reflux injury.

5.Impair LES functioning – Nicotine can lower the pressure in the lower esophageal (LES) which can cause it to become weak and relaxed. LES is the valve that resides between the oesophagus and the stomach. The decrease in pressure can cause the LES to relax inappropriately, allowing stomach acids and enzymes to be thrust back into the oesophagus.

6.Decreased gastric motility – It has been discovered in studies that people who smoke have reduced gastric motility while they are smoking. A decrease in gastric movement can lead to poor digestion due to the fact that it takes a longer for the stomach to empty.

As you can see, there are plenty of reasons why smoking can cause and make acid reflux worse. That being said, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to you that the best treatment a tobacco user can do to help their condition is quit.

Of course, quitting smoking isn’t as easy as we think or would like it to be. An addiction to nicotine is a hard habit to kick, especially if you’ve been smoking for many years, hang around others who smoke, and enjoy it. However, smoking, like any addiction, can be overcome. The only trick is, in order to quit smoking, you have to want to.

There are many different quitting strategies you can consider. Therefore, if you find quitting through your own methods is difficult, consult your doctor for other options. Also, many people who want to quit smoking find support groups to be very helpful.

Does quitting smoking really help your heartburn?

It is believed by many medical practitioners that for most acid reflux sufferers, quitting smoking will likely allow them to get better fast. However, some practitioners believe that quitting smoking will only provide modest relief.

Nevertheless, all medical practitioners agree that quitting smoking is a good idea regardless if it helps your acid reflux or not. After all, even if you see little change in your experiences with heartburn, quitting smoking greatly reduces your chances of developing serious diseases such as cancer, heart and lung disease.

In addition, don’t forget that smoking isn’t the only cause of acid reflux. Thus, if you are not seeing improvement after quitting, it’s time for you to take a careful look at your diet.

By: Kathryn Whittaker -

---------------------------------------------

It also depends greatly on your tolerance to the nicotine. Some have a great tolerance and can chain smoke Power Rangers in the morning on an empty stomach. Power Rangers make me puke even before I light them, LOL. I am a wussy-boy with a very low tolerance so I have to avoid cigars that I know make me feel pukey no matter what I've had to eat.

It also depends greatly on your tolerance to the nicotine. Some have a great tolerance and can chain smoke Power Rangers in the morning on an empty stomach. Power Rangers make me puke even before I light them, LOL. I am a wussy-boy with a very low tolerance so I have to avoid cigars that I know make me feel pukey no matter what I've had to eat.

Yeah your tolerance definitely goes up as you smoke, I remember walking up at none hung over to all hell at my buddy’s hunting cabin walking out side firing up a tat and cracking a beer on an empty stomach. Oddly enough one of the guys there tossed his cookies watching me.

Cigar ad's and reviews are always mentioning that the cigar in question is medium to full bodied or it's referred to as a "Powerhouse" and should not be smoked by a beginner or during daylight hours and you should have defiantly had a large meal beforehand.

What does food, sunlight and being a newbie have to do with smoking a cigar?

The part that really has me is the food part. Why do I need to eat before I smoke a strong cigar? Does it enhance the flavor? Or is it so I'll have something to hurl if I'm a newbie and it makes me sick? :rolleyes:

I interpret the body and strength of a cigar like this:

Body = intensity of flavor(s)

Strength = amount of nicotine

Body usually refers to the amount or intensity of flavor a cigar may have. Think about a full bodied red wine. It does not mean that it has a lot of alcohol. It means that the wine is full of flavor. A full-bodied cigar has bold, intense flavor(s). Conversely, a mild cigar means that what flavor it has is tame or lacking intensity. That does not mean it does not have flavor. But the flavor it does have might be subtle.

Much like the taste of a cigar is subjective to each individual, body is also subjective. As you smoke more and more cigars over time, your taste in cigars and your opinion of the body of a cigar will more than likely change. After time a cigar that once seemed full-bodied to you might seem to be medium or mild-medium bodied in comparison when smoked a few years later. Although a cigar may be described as having a particular body by the manufacturer, this might be a description more appropriate for the casual or novice smoker. But for the regular cigar smoker, it may not be an accurate description.

A cigar considered to be a "Powerhouse" usually is a reference to the strength of a cigar, or how much nicotine it might have. This infers that a cigar that is a powerhouse may be made with tobacco known to have more nicotine than the majority of tobacco used to make a cigar.

This a great thread, I am learning so much here!

I have also noticed that some sort of stronger alcohol with a cigar helps too...something like a cognac, brandy or whiskey..

Okay, I'll try whiskey with my martinis and Dortmunder :D

I can safely say I'm good to smoke 2 LFD DL Chisels back to back on a empty stomach and it doesn't phase me one bit. Actually, cigars in general seem weak any more after you smoke a pipe tobacco that has 7% Nicotine in it. And yes, I generally eat something before I smoke that power house of a tobacco. :laugh: