• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Strongest ISOMs

antaean

Did this happen to you?
I am mainly a smoker of stronger cigars. Full flavor and strong. Love Bolivars and Partagas :love: !!

What do you consider "strong" ISOMs? That is, which ones give you a kick, put a buzz on, or you just cannot smoke without eating first? :(

Enquiring minds want to know!

antaean

I am mainly a smoker of stronger cigars. Full flavor and strong. Love Bolivars and Partagas :love: !!

What do you consider "strong" ISOMs? That is, which ones give you a kick, put a buzz on, or you just cannot smoke without eating first? :(

Enquiring minds want to know!

antaean

Never really found a Cuban cigar that gave me much of a kick or a buzz. I just don't get that much power out of them. Probably the strongest cigars that I have had were:

Romeo Y Julieta Cazadores - billed as the "strongest" cigar produced by Habanos SA...I don't really believe it; it is full bodied and full of flavor, but rather one dimensional

Partagas de Partagas No. 1 - the Partagas version of the Cazadores

Bolivar Corona Extra - these can be fairly powerful depending on circumstances; smoked one from '99 the other day that was still full bodied and earthy

Bolivar Regentes - very small smoke...lots of power stuffed into a small package

There are others that come to mind, but these will do. Like I said, I have never had a Cuban cigar set me back in my chair. I have had plenty that were very full-bodied, but I am speaking in terms of flavor and not nicotine content. I don't go for the latter.

Hope it helps.

I'd say a Siglo VI - but I have to remember it was smoked at 10pm on NO DINNER!!

Then again I had a Cuaba Divino after breakfast Christmas AM and I wanted to go back to bed! It was rich and smooth...then the buzz hit...whew!

I'll agree with cigardawg:

"I have had plenty that were very full-bodied, but I am speaking in terms of flavor and not nicotine content. I don't go for the latter."

Very well put!

Gary

A Partagas Corona. No flavor but all power! I can have a full stomach and this will always knock my dick in the dirt!

A Partagas Corona. No flavor but all power! I can have a full stomach and this will always knock my dick in the dirt!

No flavor? Damn, Smoky. War must have really blown your taste buds away. I do agree with you though that it is a strong cigar. Another strong one for me is the Partagas 898 Varnished.

The strongest cigars are usually the the smallest ones. If you were to make a hoyo petite robusto into a super robusto it would blow anyone away. Same with the blend of a siglo 1 into a siglo 6. Also, again usually, the fresher cigars are moister/oilier and have a lot more smoke making them stronger although I understand some smokes get stronger with age.

This is the quoting day for me...

Q: Couldn't it be because there is a trend to produce stronger cigars and Nicaragua has strong tobacco?

A: Do you want to know when a cigar is the strongest? Just leave it raw, and it will be very strong. Don't process it; just leave it, and you will be throwing up soon enough.

Q: So strong is not the best cigar then?

A: I would say the best is to smoke a nice cigar. Sometimes I get people asking for strong ones, and I think that if the blend is right, it's not necessary that it be too strong.

I never understood why people wanted cigars that would give them a buzz or making them throw up, I guess thats why I never understood fashionation with OpusX cigars.

I never understood why people wanted cigars that would give them a buzz or making them throw up, I guess thats why I never understood fashionation with OpusX cigars.

OpusXer's are always in 'Fashion'! :sign:

I wasn't trying to start a thread debating whether strong (nic content) was desireable or not. I was simply (hopefully) trying to get opinions as to what ISOMs people thought were way strong. I certainly agree that the buzz/light-headedness/sickness thing can be most disagreeable at times.

As a Boli and Parti smoker, there are definitely some vitolas of each that are potent with regard to nicotine content, while some are simply very full-flavored. For example, the Partagas 8-9-8 unvarnished seems (to me) to be stronger than the varnished when young (less than 2 years). However, I have no idea what either is like after 3 or 4 years of aging :(

The Boli coronas do not ever seem (to me) to have the potency of the coronas extra at ages up to about 5 to 6 years. Again I have no idea what they become after that age.

Most of the "fresh" ISOM's I have smoked seem to have more kick than when they are a year or two old. However, these fresh smokes are not necessarily undesireable (although, I have had a few Bolivar coronas extra that I wish I had let age/settle before I tried them).

antaean

I can honestly say there isnt a strong kick my ass ISOM for me. :( There was only one time in Scotland that I had to toss one. It was a Boli and a pretty long stick at that. I was really freaking hungry and was chain puffing that cigar fast since I didnt want to waste it. I ended up tossing it to get something to eat instead. That was in 2002 and since, no buzz.

The Partagas Corona when properly aged is an extremely complex and flavorful cigar. Along with the Upmann and Ramon Allones the best Cuban corona on the market.

If you are looking for strong as in a LFD Chisel or some of the strong putrid Camachos then you will not find it in any Cuban cigar. For Cuban cigars with the most strength then here is a list of cigars that I feel are on the stronger side with some nice nose. Note that this list is for cigars that have been properly aged.

Partagas Seri Du Connoisseur 1

Upmann Monarchs and 2's

Monte 2

RyJ Cazadore

Bolivar CE

Partagas Lonsdale

Punch Super Selection 2

Quai D'Orsay Panatela

Punch Ninfas

Cohiba Corona Especiales

Fonseca Invicto

Yes young Cuban cigars in many cases will be stronger than properly aged ones. There are however many Cuban cigars that will get stronger the longer you age them. Upmann 2's and Monarchs are a couple of such cigars.

Strength for the sake of strength is a new phenomena that has happened in the last few years in the cigar industry. Mfgs are making strong cigars that have absolutely no balance because there is a market for them. For some reason there are a bunch of smokers who are looking for sheer power so they can get a buzz off the cigar. Cigars like these are not good cigars, they are just strong. When I smoke a cigar I am looking for complex flavors and enough strength to feel the cigars as I exhale the smoke through my nose. Cigars like the LFD Chisel and other cigars loaded with ligero are not cigars that I smoke or care to have in my collection. Yes I have tried a bunch of these cigars but none have made it into my rotation.

The strongest cigars I smoke are Opus X and Ashton VSG's, these are strong cigars but have plenty of flavor and complexity.

BTW Master, you were right... Cigars do smoke much better at below 65% humidity... sorry to hijack the thread but I just remembered after your post.

The Partagas Corona when properly aged is an extremely complex and flavorful cigar. Along with the Upmann and Ramon Allones the best Cuban corona on the market.

If you are looking for strong as in a LFD Chisel or some of the strong putrid Camachos then you will not find it in any Cuban cigar. For Cuban cigars with the most strength then here is a list of cigars that I feel are on the stronger side with some nice nose. Note that this list is for cigars that have been properly aged.

Wow!!! That is a terrific summary and good guide. I do not have much experience with aging cigars beyond 2 or 3 years after I get them. I notice that you mentioned "properly aged" several times. I am familiar with many/most concepts regarding aging. Are you talking about 5+ years?

Cigars like the LFD Chisel and other cigars loaded with ligero are not cigars that I smoke or care to have in my collection. Yes I have tried a bunch of these cigars but none have made it into my rotation.

The strongest cigars I smoke are Opus X and Ashton VSG's, these are strong cigars but have plenty of flavor and complexity.

I also prefer complex flavors, but I certainly do not mind a monotonous short smoke once in a while if the taste is good. Personally, I prefer a bit of a kick to my smokes but not being knocked down!

antaean

(editted to make shorter)

Great post, Harris. Nice mix of experience and advice. Truly top notch. Keep it coming as we're learning a lot from these commentaries.

I notice that the Quintero Brevas did not make your list. This stick is often referred to as a strong or harsh smoke. But this has not been the case in my experience. I've never had one that gave me a buzz or headspins. Romeo No.2 and No.3, though. Every time.

Wilkey

I am kind of curious as to whether the EL editions are stronger than their regular counterparts. For example the sublimes. I am thinking about this because of the darker wrapper. In either event I am smoking a RyJ EL 2003 this weekend, and I guess I will find out for myself.

I am kind of curious as to whether the EL editions are stronger than their regular counterparts. For example the sublimes. I am thinking about this because of the darker wrapper. In either event I am smoking a RyJ EL 2003 this weekend, and I guess I will find out for myself.

I do not think the EL's are stronger but definately bolder in flavor.
I prefer the EL's because of the more intense flavors.
Then again I never got the stomache turn like I did with my first gurkah legend with any ISOM.
I have had 3 cigars that when swallowing normally while smokeing made me feel as if I was swallowing chew juice a few times,thats probably what caused the stomache turnage.
As for buzzes or throwing up,never got that from any cigar and wouldnt want it.If I wanted a buzz from smokeing I buy weed.

antaean, when I am speaking of properly cigars then I mean cigars that have been aged enough to taste good. With smaller ring gauge( 42 and below) cigars that can be 2-3 years. With larger ring gauge it is mostly 5 plus years. For example, I have recently been buying a ton of Partagas Serie Du Connoisseur 1's ( 7 9/16 by 36) from June of 03. These suckers are ready and smoking great. I also have some Trini Reyes from 04 that are smoking great. You need to smoke a cigar and see how they are doing, I have general guidelines that I adhere to but there are always going to be exceptions to the rules.

Ginseng, I used to smoke a ton of Quintero Brevas mostly on the golf course. They are a great cheap, strong cigar that if you buy them for the right price can be a very good value. I was buying them for 35 bucks a box back in 98 and 99 from Spain. I haven't looked at them in years.

jabba, glad you are enjoying them at that level, see if you can get them a little lower to around 62, I think they will be even better for you.

As far as the EL issue, in my opinion you are better served buying regular production for a lot less money. The El's to me are a rip off.

I wouldn't say stonger. Different - yes.

Cohiba:

I've found the EL's to have a consistent range and flavor throughout the cigar. More so than production, which tend to release in stages. Maybe the prod. ones I smoke need to age.

I made the mistake of getting a box of Cohiba EL's and smoking them down to the 6 I have left.

Patience is a virtue!

The reserva series - these I learned to save :D.

Sublimes - waiting for a 5'r.

R&J:

The EL's just seem to be flat. Tasteful, yet flat. Maybe age is needed (see the a trend here) :whistling: .

I enjoy the production Exhib #3's - flavor, depth and a kick.

I started smoking cigars about 3 years ago. I'm learning to let the newer sticks sit a while. It pays to wait!

Gary

grateful1, Please do not take this the wrong way but if you are not smoking properly aged Cohibas then you really have no business commenting on them in comparison to EL Cohibas.

Production Cohibas are one of the most consistent cigars that Cuba puts out. In my experience the EL versions are no where near as good as the production ones.

Your statement" R&J:

The EL's just seem to be flat. Tasteful, yet flat. Maybe age is needed (see the a trend here)"

Is another example of you smoking under aged cigars. The RyJ 2 Double Coronas that were the original release are still too young to smoke and they are almost 6 years old. There is only one EL that is ready to smoke right now and that is the original Monte Robusto. All of the other EL's are still way too young.