• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Substitute Torch?

LikeAPuma

Newbie Question, you've been warned!

When I first started enjoying cigars, I made the mistake of using regular Bic lighters. I've since learned the error of my ways & use matches. Unfortunately, all of my smoking is done outside, so a torch of some sort would probably be helpful.

Doing some stuff in the kitchen, I found a creme brulee (spelling?) kit, complete with a large torch (trying to figure out posting pictures lol) . Do you think it'd work, if I paid close attention to not incinerate the cigar?

I use torch lighters (granted not creme brûlée torches) almost exclusively and find I get the best burn if I do not let the flame actually touch the foot of the cigar, but rather toast the foot very nice and then draw the heat through the cigar to get it lit.

Just be careful with the flame.

If it uses standard butane, it should be fine.  Hopefully you'll be able to see the flame. If you want an inexpensive torch with decent reliability, get a Ronson Jet Lite.
I think they're up to around 4 bucks at a Wal-Mart.  I've had some for 4 or 5 years with flawless operation save one. That one was just an issue where it got sort of weak in the flame. Took a pipe cleaner (good, hard, wire) unravelled it. I used the thinner of the two wires, and worked it through the series of holes around the circumference of the jet. Worked like a charm.

I got the Alec Bradley "the burner" (Amazon) and really like it. Huge tank. Butane but not a jet torch. Also a definite conversation piece.

Nothing wrong with using a Bic. I know several people who just use Bic's. I prefer the Ronson Jetlite and the AB Burner.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using Bic lighters.  There's something to be said for cheap and disposable.  When I was researching torches, Blazer and Xikar were the two manufacturers that got the best reviews.  I've had my Blazer for maybe 4-5 years and beyond having to send it in once for servicing it's treated me just fine.  I also have a Xikar soft flame pipe lighter.  Both can be finicky at times.  I guess it's the nature of lighters.

So I went to buy a can of butane & try this out... Unfortunately, I got a can of butane made for camping stoves, that's NOT compatible with filling up lighters & such hahaha. Oops! Guess it's back to the store I go tomorrow!

I have used and own a larger torch.  It works fine.  Just be careful not to light the whole thing on fire.

I don't advise using Bics to light cigars. I've seen too many blow from keeping them lit too long. That warning on the label that says not to keep lit more than 30 seconds is very valid. The top will melt, and it will evacuate all of its fuel in a split second. If you are holding it up near your face when that happens, you can get seriously burned. Seen it happen with a friend with an epic GFYS beard. Lost about 6 inches of beard, and had blistering all over his nose. Not good. I've never seen one explode, as in hand grenade but, not safe regardless. 

I use a creme brulee torch periodically and no issues, I also use propane welding torches on occasion, makes me feel more manly.....

Does it make a difference using a torch lighter compared to a butane soft flame lighter? Which is recommended?

Doesn't matter to me. I use both with success. Torches are easier IMO to control where you want to put the heat but they are also easier to go overboard on toasting.

Lagamm said:
Doesn't matter to me. I use both with success. Torches are easier IMO to control where you want to put the heat but they are also easier to go overboard on toasting.

Thanks!

Just an update: The creme brulee torch has been working pretty fantastic do far. In a nice surprise, I also discovered that it does a soft flame as well... Considering it came in a creme brulee package as a wedding gift (that's been sitting in a cabinet for years), I'd say it's a pretty good re-purposed item!

MadMonk said:
I don't advise using Bics to light cigars. I've seen too many blow from keeping them lit too long. That warning on the label that says not to keep lit more than 30 seconds is very valid. The top will melt, and it will evacuate all of its fuel in a split second. If you are holding it up near your face when that happens, you can get seriously burned. Seen it happen with a friend with an epic GFYS beard. Lost about 6 inches of beard, and had blistering all over his nose. Not good. I've never seen one explode, as in hand grenade but, not safe regardless. 

I usually find that the plastic button(?) tends to melt first and comes apart in your hands.  I agree that it's not really recommended for lengthy toasts.

Other than that, nothing wrong with Bics.  I think the issue usually comes from some people thinking that a Bic uses lighter fluid (like Zippos) and not butane.

Edit:  I really should learn to look at when the last post was before replying...

you can even use a zippo, just let it burn for a few seconds so you don't get the fuel smell transfered over.

Fire is Fire.

That's what I hear, but I use Zippos pretty extensively (fire shining shoes) and the smell of lighter fluid is pretty prominent even on the case.  With that said, I've never tried it before.  Next time I smoke a cigar in my humidor that went flat, I'll have to try it out and see if I can notice a difference.

My buddy Drew5337 I have found that the MSR Pocket Rocket camping stove makes a great cigar lighter. Who knew.

Bo_HCIFCMAA4HEf.jpg

That would work fine, just be careful not to get the flame too close. Bic lighters aren't bad, but I would stay away from zippo, unless use get the torch insert.