• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

suggestion what to smoke

marmaduke

My doctor recommended I smoke cigars than cigarettes and since it's hard for me to quit I thought I'd try. What cigars would you recommend for someone who's use to smoking Marlboro regular cigarettes or similar brands? Should I start off with the thin kinds and where can I find a place to sample different brands? Live in Massachusetts or is there an online store that has samples to try? Thanks in advance.

Seems quite odd that a doctor would recommend such a thing. Did he also tell you to take up drinking? :laugh:

I think you're right on track with your idea to buy some samplers. There are many places on-line which sell samplers. You can also pick some up at the devil's site (aka cigarbid.com).

One suggestion... resist the temptation of inhaling. You will end up not helping your cause and you will unlikely enjoy the cigar experience for what it is if you do. Good luck to you.

Many of my friends also smoke cigarettes. I keep trying to convert them to cigars one by one. I have found that many of them like 5 Vegas Gold, as they are mild and fairly smooth and inexpensive. www.cigarsinternational.com has them in stock and you can also bid on them at cigarbid.com.

I was in the same boat. Finally gave up the smokes when my wife got prego with our first child. She had to quit so I switched to cigars outside. Been in love ever since. I think the one i remember liking the most was the Rocky Patel Toro. I still keep some of these around.

I've never heard of someone who successfully transition to cigars from the butts. I tried it and failed. I had quit cigarettes for 5 years before I took up the cigar hobby.

I quit butts in 96 after 20 years of 2 packs of Marlboros a day.
I picked up cigars almost 2 years ago. I know one thing the smaller ring guages kind of scare me because they are like butts to me.

I really like Box pressed. Feels real great in the hand. I seem to like 48 to 54 ring guage.

RP vintage 90 or 92
I just discovered Romeo Y Julietta Viejo MAN great mild tasty and really smokes well

Good luck

Seems quite odd that a doctor would recommend such a thing. Did he also tell you to take up drinking? :laugh:

Depends on the relationship with the doctor. I was actually friends with my doctor before seeing him professionally. (That doesn't sound right, but I;m leaving it nonetheless) I spent many a night hanging out, smoking cigars, drinking, and playing pool.

Depends on the relationship with the doctor. I was actually friends with my doctor before seeing him professionally. (That doesn't sound right, but I;m leaving it nonetheless) I spent many a night hanging out, smoking cigars, drinking, and playing pool.

Must make getting a second opinion kinda rough eh?

marmaduke,

I'm not going to offer up brands...if you go into a local cigar shop they will have about 25 for you to try, so rather then give you a brand, i'm going to tell you that you should reserve a cigar for one of the last things you do during the day. Reward yourself for being cigarette free with a cigar, something to look forward to at night. Also, change up your habits, i've heard that this has really helped some people.

Good luck with trying to quit! And welcome to the cigar world!

I've never heard of someone who successfully transition to cigars from the butts. I tried it and failed. I had quit cigarettes for 5 years before I took up the cigar hobby.

They sure helped me

When I worked at the Tinder Box, I had several customers who came to me with this exact same question. Some of them actually made the switch from cigarettes to cigars and quit the butts completely. The ones who were successful told me that they avoided the smaller ring gauge cigars, because they seemed so much like cigarettes that they found themselves inhaling without thinking about it. A few also told me that they started of smoking the strongest blends they could find because they'd definitely know when they screwed up and inhaled. Not the course of action I'd recommend, but I guess it worked for them.

I would suggest mild cigars to start so you don't push yourself back to the butt. These can be had for $1 - $3 per stick easily. Nat Sherman (thanks Rob), 5 Vegas Gold, Temple Hall Estates, etc.

I will be curious how long after making the transition you will consider cigarettes to be vile and disgusting?

Good luck

Surprised no one else has mentioned it yet, but the Newbie Sampler thread is a great place to start for a sampler. The BOTLs here will really hook you up for the amount of money you spend. Of course, check your local B&M, they will offer great advice on what cigars to choose. (Provided they are a good B&M.)

Edit: Off topic, but did you take that picture in your sig CigarStone? If so, that must have been an impressive sight. And somewhat scary haha.