• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

suggestions on good Rh% level for best sticks?

Tall Paul said:
Tom I bet if it was searched out you have said that exact statement every time this is asked... Lol

BBS nailed it!

I keep it as a text file in Notepad+ so I can cut and paste it every time it gets re-asked...... ;)

BlindedByScience said:
Round up a hundred experienced cigar smokers and ask them this question.  You'll get answers from 58-75+%.

That would be an interesting survey, I'd love the see the boundaries of the bell curve and test for a correlation with ambient climate, wrapper / vitola / ring preferences, aggressiveness of draw, NC/CC, etc.

I'd like to keep mine at a steady 65% but I just can't determine the correct number of bead licks it takes to get there.

Round up a hundred experienced cigar smokers and ask them this question.  You'll get answers from 58-75+%.

That would be an interesting survey, I'd love the see the boundaries of the bell curve and test for a correlation with ambient climate, wrapper / vitola / ring preferences, aggressiveness of draw, NC/CC, etc.
you've piqued my interest...

I should warn you, I'm neither a statistician nor a scientist, I'm just a guy talking out of his ass on the internet. But I do find the question interesting.

Well, all the preferences aside, it is pretty well a scientific fact that the cigars start losing oleoresins below 69% RH.
That is what I shoot for for long term storage.

This is why I never understood 65% RH for CCs. A study done in Cuba with the panel smoking fresh vs aged cigars resulted in a win for the fresh cigars.

I myself have determined that under 69%, cigars do indeed lose a good bit of richness. 

My own experiment aging from 2006 to 2012 with sticks at 65 and 69 (using humidipaks) resulted in me thinking that the 69 stored smokes retained more of their fresh character and richness while losing the fresh nasties. Both CC and Nicaraguan.

Cameroon NEEDS to be stored at higher levels due to it's fragile nature, As do other very thin wrapper tobacco, such as Tatuaje P series.

I definitely prefer smoking all cigars after a few weeks stabilized at 65% (short term).

All that said it is still my opinion, but based on over 35 years smoking cigars, some knowns, and a bit of preference and point of view mixed in.

So, as a lot have said, you have to determine what is best for you.

Thanks MadMonk for that guidance, it certainly adds additional clarity to the personal preference issue.

Back