• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Summer Concerts

nfulton

Just picked up my tickets to take the family to the Americanarama Festival in July.  Bob Dylan, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, and some others are playing.  My stepson who just turned 13 has raided my albums and is excited for all three.  I also want to catch the Punch Brothers this fall on their last tour.  And while I'm at it I would like to catch the Goat Rodeo Sessions, (Chris Thile, Edgar Meyer, Yo Yo Ma, and Stuart Duncan).  Does anyone else have any plans for concerts this summer, big or small?

Blues Traveler, June 23rd and Pat Benatar and Neil Giraldo August, 22nd. Both in a small, restored Egyptian Art Deco theater. I'm sure there will be others.

Doc

Neil Giraldo is entirely underrated.  Blues Traveler is still going, eh?  

No summer concerts on the schedule here.  Several lined up for October and November, though.  All the big bands play the summer concert circuits in the States and then come over to Europe in the fall.  That sucks sometimes...

In Charlottesville they have weekly free concerts on Friday which we hit up frequently

My little cover band is playing two pub shows and one village festival so far this summer.  Does that count...?

Very psyched that today Farm Aid 2013 was announced to be at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC), just up the road from me. Willie Nelson, DMB, John Mellencamp, Neil Young. Will most certainly be in attendance.

Mr.Smoke said:
I'm going to see Ramstein in july.

I live in Ramstein...  :p

Slick300 said:
Very psyched that today Farm Aid 2013 was announced to be at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC), just up the road from me. Willie Nelson, DMB, John Mellencamp, Neil Young. Will most certainly be in attendance.

I bunch of years ago I came up behind Willie Nelson's tour bus as it was closing in on the ballpark he was playing at that evening in Little Rock.  He was hanging out the side window of the bus waving at the passing cars.  It later dawned on me that he was probably just airing out the bus before he parked...

I guess we ARE going to a summer concert.  Just saw www.taubertal-festival.de pop up.  My favorite band, Flogging Molly, is playing on Sunday, and my wife wants to see Bad Religion and Alkaline Trio on Saturday night.  Pennywise is playing Sunday, too.  We got VIP passes for both days.  Steve Agnew ("Badger"), the everything-tech for Flogging Molly, used to live a few streets over from me when we lived in Arkansas.  We get the royal treatment when we go see FM, so I'm looking to have another great time in August.  It's going to be brutal, though:  We are down in Garmisch the week before, and drive 5+ hrs back home on Friday.  Saturday morning we turn around and drive 2.5 hrs back to Rothenburg o.d.T for two days.  Monday morning drive 2.5 hrs back home and then Tuesday fly out to Scotland for another week and a half for the Military Tattoo.  Good times...

kann said:
I guess we ARE going to a summer concert.  Just saw www.taubertal-festival.de pop up.  My favorite band, Flogging Molly, is playing on Sunday, and my wife wants to see Bad Religion and Alkaline Trio on Saturday night.  Pennywise is playing Sunday, too.  We got VIP passes for both days.  Steve Agnew ("Badger"), the everything-tech for Flogging Molly, used to live a few streets over from me when we lived in Arkansas.  We get the royal treatment when we go see FM, so I'm looking to have another great time in August.  It's going to be brutal, though:  We are down in Garmisch the week before, and drive 5+ hrs back home on Friday.  Saturday morning we turn around and drive 2.5 hrs back to Rothenburg o.d.T for two days.  Monday morning drive 2.5 hrs back home and then Tuesday fly out to Scotland for another week and a half for the Military Tattoo.  Good times...

I remember piling into an old Oldsmobile and seeing Bad Religion in the early 90's in some old dives in Columbus.  Ahhh, memories.  I didn't realize Pennywise was still going strong.

nfulton said:

I remember piling into an old Oldsmobile and seeing Bad Religion in the early 90's in some old dives in Columbus.  Ahhh, memories.  I didn't realize Pennywise was still going strong.

It may be old news but if you have not looked into "Punk Rock Dad" or the corresponding documentary "The Other F Word" I highly recommend you do so. 

As for Farm Aid, I'll be in attendance as well. Also hoping to be in Philly for "This Is Hardcore"  even though there's about 4 bands over three days I'm truly interested in seeing. 

Edit: Your sig was the quote from Royal Tennenbaums that always got me, especially the other half -  "I don't think you're an asshole, Royal. I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch. "

I have not seen either of those docs, but will try and look them up.  I'm from Northeast PA and my wife is from Syracuse.  Both were pretty big HxCx regions, with NYC sort of off in the middle, there.  My little high school hardcore garage band even made it onto a comp of NEHC bands many, many beers ago.  A lot of bands I listened to as a teenager (but don't really listen to much anymore) are still around, surprisingly.  Earth Crisis and VOD were my two favorite groups back in the mid-90's, and from what I understand are still making music.  I haven't really followed them in ages, though.  I still throw their names and "tour dates" into Google every so often hoping for a surprise tour over here.  Used to listen to Bad Religion and Pennywise, as well, though I'm not as super-familiar with their catalogue as my wife is.  My musical tastes have drastically changed since my younger days, but every so often it's nice to step back into it again.

Will see lots of shows this summer, some coming up..... The Blaggards and The Shanties, Reverend Horton Heat at least twice this summer, Reverend Peyton's Big Damn Band three times in the next 4 months, Blind Melon, The Tossers.....and tons of local shows. The state fair is bringing John Mayer, I'm not a fan of his radio stuff, but love to hear him play live, so will probably go.

I forgot, Clutch and The Sword in November...

Only show we plan on catching this summer is Dave Matthews Band in Bristow Va. July 27th.

Oops, almost forgot, Barenaked Ladies (meh), Wilco and (the real reason I'm going) Ben Folds Five.

Also, wife dragging me to Matchbox 20 next week.

Slick300 said:
Oops, almost forgot, Barenaked Ladies (meh), Wilco and (the real reason I'm going) Ben Folds Five.

I've seen Ben Folds three times now (only once as 5).  He is one hell of an entertainer and you'll enjoy the show I promise that.

nfulton said:

I've seen Ben Folds three times now (only once as 5).  He is one hell of an entertainer and you'll enjoy the show I promise that.
I'll bet. Have been wanting to see them since they're first album came out.

jfields said:
Only show we plan on catching this summer is Dave Matthews Band in Bristow Va. July 27th.

I most likely will be attending to this one!  I love me some Dave Matthews.

David