• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sun Grown vs. Maduro

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
I know Arturo Fuente has both a Sun Grown and a Maduro version of a lot of their cigars. I thought all tobacco was "sun grown", so my question is: what's the difference?

There are shade grown versions of a lot of tobacco. Maduro is a special fermentation prcess that allows the piles to reach a hotter temperature allowing the leaf to "slow cook". This is what allows the leaf to darken. It also changes the flavor.
Sun grown I believe is the upper primings that stay on the plant longer. I think because of the longer time in the sun, this allows the tobacco to get that spicey flavor. Not too sure about this part though.

Emo

ricmac25 said:
I know Arturo Fuente has both a Sun Grown and a Maduro version of a lot of their cigars. I thought all tobacco was "sun grown", so my question is: what's the difference?
Well a good deal of it is grown in the shade with burlap canopy's over it, at least thats what I have seen, I havent gotten a chance to make it to the Dominican Republic yet.

Well here in Connecticut we have "Connecticut Shade" which is grown under the burlap or burlap-like canopies and "Connecticut Broadleaf" which is grown in the sun.

I guess the cool thing now-a-days is to call that "sungrown"

coventrycat86 said:
Well here in Connecticut we have "Connecticut Shade" which is grown under the burlap or burlap-like canopies and "Connecticut Broadleaf" which is grown in the sun.

I guess the cool thing now-a-days is to call that "sungrown"
Actually, I think the top leaves are left to grow a little longer. That gives it it's spicey nicotien qualities.

Emo

coventrycat86 said:
Well here in Connecticut we have "Connecticut Shade" which is grown under the burlap or burlap-like canopies.....
I think the canopies are supposed to be cheesecloth.

Take care, Bacchus

ricmac25 said:
In the case of Fuente cigars... their maduro is a Connecticut Broadleaf and their sungrown is an Ecuadoran Sumatra I believe.

The Connecticut Broadleaf is grown in direct sunlight. The leaf is a bit thicker and when aged and cured turns to a dark black and rough textured wrapper. IMO a very tasty wrapper that adds sweetness and cocoa flavors to a cigar.

The Ecuadoran Sumatra is also grown in direct sunlight however due to the geography of Ecuador their is a continual cloud cover over the growing regions... you could say that although it's technically a sungrown wrapper it has the cloud cover providing for a natural tapado (cheesecloth shade tarp). This wrapper is my favorite Fuente wrapper and IMO it adds a nice spiciness and cedar flavors to a cigar and really kicks up the strength too.

The difference in these two wrappers are basically that they are different kinds of tobaccos and they are aged/ripened in different ways. This would account for their extremely different flavors and strengths. Hope this helped!

Aloha,

Wade

Wow, great info Wade. I'm beginning to see the light when it comes to Sun Grown's. Sorry for the horrible pun :p I'm already addicted to VSG's and just had my first Cuban Beli :thumbs: I'm looking forward to trying many more SG's as I've yet to be disappointed. One thing I really like is SG wrappers seem to be a little toothier then most other wrappers.