• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sun vs. Shade Grown

Ymmit07

Yes i did a search. :cool:
I guess what i am looking for is your input on what you think of the two? I was told sun grown isn't as good as shade so i am looking for some experienced BOTL's input. I know 100% of it is personal preference, but i am just a inquiring looking to learn.

Tim

Shade grown wrappers are going to look better, and be smoother, but I often associate these with milder cigars.

Sun grown wrappers are thicker, not quite as pretty, but depending on how long they are grown and how they are fermented etc. Sungrown wrappers usually have more spice, and can often be sweeter (maduroish).

Personally, if blended into the correct cigar I enjoy both wrappers very much. If forced to choose, I would take sun grown wrappers every time.

yum=VSG...... Never really paid attention to what kind im smoking though. My vote is both lol

Shade grown wrappers are going to look better, and be smoother, but I often associate these with milder cigars.

Sun grown wrappers are thicker, not quite as pretty, but depending on how long they are grown and how they are fermented etc. Sungrown wrappers usually have more spice, and can often be sweeter (maduroish).

Personally, if blended into the correct cigar I enjoy both wrappers very much. If forced to choose, I would take sun grown wrappers every time.
Ditto from me on this one.

Sun grown, because Jose said so.

My link

Q: Why do you always use sun-grown wrappers?
A: When you smoke a cigar with a sun-grown wrapper, you taste its flavor. Shade grown tobacco doesn't have flavor. That's the problem. It looks very pretty but it doesn't have the taste we like. There's another factor. Our clients are used to sun-grown seed, and that is what we should keep giving them.

There are good cigars that are shade grown and "cloud grown" as well. Don't limit yourself, there are a lot of great cigars out there.

Hey thanks for your input. I have to be honest til now with the best of my knowledge I did stay away from sun grown just goin by what my friend said his experience was with them, so I'm glad I asked. God only knows what I may be missing. Thanks for the help its much appreciated and I hope to share this with my friend to see that he too does not limit himself and miss out on any sort of goodnesss. Any suggestions on some mild/med sun grown sticks of goodness?

Hey thanks for your input. I have to be honest til now with the best of my knowledge I did stay away from sun grown just goin by what my friend said his experience was with them, so I'm glad I asked. God only knows what I may be missing. Thanks for the help its much appreciated and I hope to share this with my friend to see that he too does not limit himself and miss out on any sort of goodnesss. Any suggestions on some mild/med sun grown sticks of goodness?

Ashton vsg is a must try..... not sure how mild they are though :)

If you want to try a cigar with a sungrown wrapper that isn't very powerful try a Chateau Fuente Sungrown. Will run you about $3-4.

What did you think of these? ;)

Thanks guys. I have added them to my list of ones to try. Need to make a run to the local shop for some humi pillow (for now, gettin heartfelts shortly) so I'll see what they have any maybe pick one up. $2-$4. Is like $6+ with these taxes now days.

Thought i'd give a price update. Arturo Fuente Grand Reserve maduro Sun grown $6.79. Smokin it as I type. I do my review on it when I'm done.