• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

super rare

I would actually consider buying a box of pre-embargo (like the H Upmann Jar). . .but only if I had first-hand knowledge of proper storage. . .and that ain't ever gonna happen. . .

Rush said:
I would actually consider buying a box of pre-embargo (like the H Upmann Jar). . .but only if I had first-hand knowledge of proper storage. . .and that ain't ever gonna happen. . .
True "First-Hand"? No - that is indeed tough to come by. However, as you develop relationships with various vendors and collectors, you'll find that many have well-earned reputations for honesty (and some have well-earned reputations for shadiness). Like anything else, establishing yourself with each vendor is the best way to know about the best stock or the items that they know will be superlative. This relationship is important for all cigar buying, IMO, but critical for vintage purchases.

In addition, some purchases have fairly good documentation of storage and the people that owned them in their lifetime. This applies to many items sold through Christies (not all... YMMV). I've never gotten particularly attached to this documentation - and so far I've come to prefer to purchase partial boxes of vintage stock from collectors (or from a handful of vendor's private collections) that have sampled from the box throughout the years. They can give me not only their review of the current cigar, but a layout of how it has changed over the years. Even if they didn't own the cigar from its inception, they have enough experience to advise the unwashed masses including myself. ;)

Happy hunting...

- Oak