• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

super rare

vintageafficianado

Does anyone know where I could get pre-embargos? Not the ones rolled with pre-embargo tobacco, but actual cigars from the pre-embargo era?

I've heard that after a certain aging point they start to degrade in flavor?

I'm in for one puff. Whats that, like $50? :0

I've heard that after a certain aging point they start to degrade in flavor?

Where on earth did you hear THAT? If the guy that told you that ever offers you kool-aid, DO NOT DRINK IT.

Have you heard that old cognac degrades in flavor too? If so, if you ever come across a bottle of Remy Martin Louis XIII with that old lousy 200+ year old cognac in it, let me know and I'll dispose of it properly for you ;)

I'd have to agree that there has to be a downturn point. You can't keep the oils fresh forever. Now where that point is I can't say but it certainly has to be tied in with how well they are stored.

AVB said:
I'd have to agree that there has to be a downturn point. You can't keep the oils fresh forever. Now where that point is I can't say but it certainly has to be tied in with how well they are stored.
Bingo!!

CC> there is certainly a difference in aging or aged cigars and your comparison product - cognac.

Fluids in a capped bottle do not loose the oils from which they derive their flavor, Cigars DO, so there :p

all I know is I smoked a Punch Ninfa from 1982 that was pretty d@mn tasty!

tho I would assume [and have been told] that after 45+ years, they get kinda dull.
But, hey if you wanna grab some, Moki posted a swet site.

:thumbs:

I've got a few Punch from 1956 (thanks OAK!) that I'm gonna smoke in 2006 at 50 years old. I'll let you know then how they are. :D

I've got a few Punch from 1956 (thanks OAK!) that I'm gonna smoke in 2006 at 50 years old. I'll let you know then how they are.
Holy crap :0 the oldest cigar I've ever had was only eight years old.

It's funny that you guys brought up some debates/misconceptions about aging. I was recently looking for a bottle of vintage red wine from 1979 for a wedding anniversary gift for my aunt and uncle (that was the year they were married). I talked to dozens of wine dealers in Miami and Tampa and wasn't able to find one that I could get a hold of in time :( . One vintge wine dealer in Tampa told me "you really don't want a wine that is that old, it won't be any good" the she told me the only reason to buy an older vintage wine was collection ONLY. Huh? aged wine is the epitomy of something aging well.

gatorsmg said:
I've got a few Punch from 1956 (thanks OAK!) that I'm gonna smoke in 2006 at 50 years old. I'll let you know then how they are. 
Holy crap :0 the oldest cigar I've ever had was only eight years old.

It's funny that you guys brought up some debates/misconceptions about aging. I was recently looking for a bottle of vintage red wine from 1979 for a wedding anniversary gift for my aunt and uncle (that was the year they were married). I talked to dozens of wine dealers in Miami and Tampa and wasn't able to find one that I could get a hold of in time :( . One vintge wine dealer in Tampa told me "you really don't want a wine that is that old, it won't be any good" the she told me the only reason to buy an older vintage wine was collection ONLY. Huh? aged wine is the epitomy of something aging well.
I think that may be able to be debated pertaining to cigars, but I would insist that any dealer that tells me an older wine is simply for collection and doesnt improve with taste needs to find a new profession.

AVB said:
I've got a few Punch from 1956 (thanks OAK!) that I'm gonna smoke in 2006 at 50 years old. I'll let you know then how they are. :D
DOH!!! I guess I can call off my search. I've been secretly trying to find some for ya from that year, AVB :)

I appreciate the effort moki :D Oak seems to have an in with the collectors of the older smokes.

Whattaya goin to do with those old ceegars, let em get older?

Emo

I'm saving them for my 50th birthday. 50 year old Scotch, 50 year old Cuban Punchs and a 32 year old wife.........does it get any better? So in answer to your question, yes I'm going to let them get older but only up to a point. :)

Actually wine has a kind of range of age at which it is best. Most 20+ year old wines are way past their prime.

Some wines are bottled for immediate comsumption. Sometimes you don't know when it's going to be good until it gets good. To be completely sure you have to do what some guys on here do with cigars, buy a case and open a bottle every year and see how it's aging.

It's got to be a pretty special wine, and stored under absolutely perfect conditions, to be as good at 25 as it was at say 5. It would probably have to be specifically formulated for long-term aging.

As far as cigars I am of the mind that yes at some point the quality begins to degrade, even if stored perfectly (not counting the variable of possible mishandling/storage, which also becomes more probable the older the cigar). However I have not been able to verify my hypothesis so I don't have any proof whatsoever.

Boy, and I thought that buying non-pre-embargo (I guess that makes them embargo) cigars were expensive! Well, I'll have to get a really better job to pay for a box of those.