• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

switched To 65 Rh And Now Cigars Are Tasteless

Jake Bourdon

When I first got my humidor I kept the RH at about 70 Rh and they tasted good even though I had a few minor burn issues. My digital hydrometer is bang on and tested and the seal is good. About two months ago I got some 65rh heartfealt beads which are great keeping the rh at 65. After a month I smoked a Monty 5 and it was dryer and had all the flavors and all was good.

Another month has passed and I have had 5 different smokes all Cubans and everyone the wrapper has come undone at the cap after the cut and all the cigars taste awful like cardboard with a strong ammonia taste. And the only difference is the switch from 70 rh to 65 so I am a bit puzzled as to why and where has the flavor gone.

I'm thinking in going back to the 70 RH and hoping the flavors come back to the cigars. Has anyone else been through a period where the flavor from different cigars have gone and you are left with a awful smoke when you have switched the Rh in your humidor?

It may have more to do with the age of the cigars than the beads. I have very limited ISOM exp but from what I understand they often go through a "sick"period. This may be what you are going through! Some of the more experienced members can probably give you more info.

It's been my experience that smokers choose the RH that best keeps the types of cigars they like. Some taste better at higher RH and some at lower. Some taste better at lower but keep better at higher.

Now that I know what I like it has all become simple. Whether we know it or not, we all try to simplify our cigar smoking one way or another. It sounds like you already made the decision to go back to 70% and you will tend to smoke cigars that taste best at that RH. Nothing wrong with that.

Some try for a compromise RH like 67%

A certain banned member used a type of kitty litter set at 67%!!! :D

65% should not dry your smokes out, so the unraveling after the cut I'm not sure about. Perhaps try moistening the tip before cutting. As for the taste, how long have you had the Cubans that you say taste awful with ammonia now? It's possible they could be entering the "sick period" that some Cubans seem to experience. Just another possibility.

If they taste like Ammonia they are sick.

Sorry to say its going to be a least a year or two from the box date before they taste good again.

Good info here...

http://cigarresearch.com/Site/CC2.html

Its one of the curses of smoking Cubans, and the reason aged Cubans command such a high price on the open market.

My rule of thumb is smoke them within two months of the box date or leave them age until the Ammonia smell is gone.

I personally don't think the 5 percent different in RH% has anything to do with it in your case.

That's odd, I find my CC's are better at around 59% to 62%. They draw better and are much fuller in flavor. What temp is your humi?

That's odd, I find my CC's are better at around 59% to 62%. They draw better and are much fuller in flavor. What temp is your humi?

The temp is 19C at the moment and maybe it's the sick period mentioned above as the Ashton NC still has it's flavor. It's just strange that five different brands bought at different times are all going through a sick period at the same time. I tried 2 Monty 5's, 1 RYJ Petit Corona, 1 Cohiba Robusto and 1 Cuaba Divinos and they all smoked like bland tasteless cardboard with a ammonia flavor more pronounced in some than others. I have noticed sometimes you can have a great smoke and a awful one from the same box but most of the ones I have were bought as singles so I do not have a box to check the date. Weird.

I wonder if a few are bleeding off into the others. When did you last put new cigars in your humi?

I bought most of my cigars from a very reputable dealer very well known in London and the last time I added cigars to the Humi was a month ago and I have not had the humidor that long to have a problem with cigars flavors mixing into one another. The only thing I can think is maybe they are all to young and need time. I am going to switch the RH up to near 70 and wait a few months then try a few and see if the extra moisture makes a difference. Maybe this is my imagination but i swear that also since the RH has gone down to 65 that the wrappers on the cigars have more veins. Is it possible that the flavors have been dried out of the cigars with a sudden drop in the RH.

The temp is 19C at the moment and maybe it's the sick period mentioned above as the Ashton NC still has it's flavor. It's just strange that five different brands bought at different times are all going through a sick period at the same time. I tried 2 Monty 5's, 1 RYJ Petit Corona, 1 Cohiba Robusto and 1 Cuaba Divinos and they all smoked like bland tasteless cardboard with a ammonia flavor more pronounced in some than others. I have noticed sometimes you can have a great smoke and a awful one from the same box but most of the ones I have were bought as singles so I do not have a box to check the date. Weird.

You can get a ammonia smell for several reasons. But with Cubans, its probably the cigar going through a "sick" phase. Just let them rest for awhile and revisit them a few months down the road.

I bought most of my cigars from a very reputable dealer very well known in London and the last time I added cigars to the Humi was a month ago and I have not had the humidor that long to have a problem with cigars flavors mixing into one another. The only thing I can think is maybe they are all to young and need time. I am going to switch the RH up to near 70 and wait a few months then try a few and see if the extra moisture makes a difference. Maybe this is my imagination but i swear that also since the RH has gone down to 65 that the wrappers on the cigars have more veins. Is it possible that the flavors have been dried out of the cigars with a sudden drop in the RH.

No.

Step 1) Stop being paranoid about 5% RH

Step 2) Make sure your humidor really is at 65% and not a lot lower. Search this forum how to do so.

Step 3) Buy more cigars so you can let the sick ones age.

Step 4) Enjoy aged cigars later down the line.

And I'm pretty sure everyone here will tell you that Cuban cigars smoke better at a lower RH% I'd personally would never keep any of my Cubans at 70%.

And another thing you don't have to worry about is one cigar making another cigar's taste change (unless you don't throw some ACIDs in your Humi with the rest of course). So :rolleyes: @ Humidor Minister.

*edit* And if you do plan on buying lots of Cubans I'd suggest getting a humidor just for them, they do like a lower RH% than Non-Cubans.

Like Mr. Peat said, your Cubans are probably going through their "sick" period, are fermentation is taking place.

65% RH is what I keep my stuff at, and they smoke great. 70% is too wet IMO. Are you positive that your humidor is really at 65%? Make sure you salt test your hygrometer; it could be reading inaccurately.

Like others have said 60-65% RH is what I shoot for with all my cigars. I don't know where you're located, but I'm noticing this summer a lot of my cigars just don't smoke that well in the high heat and humidity. This summer has been an unusually hot and humid one for us. I'm expcially noticing it in the Cubans (most of mine are at least 2 years old and have no amonia smell). They taste and burn fine when it's not humid. My humi's are running 65% or less and we run the A/C in the house most days. The first third to half of most cigars are fine and after that they start tasting acrid and harsh and the burn turns bad. I've been picking my cigars more carefully and staying away from the Cubans on humid days. Dry boxing might help but that would require some planning on my part. I usually don't decide what I'm going to have until I open the humi and see what strikes me. I'm ready for fall!

Must be something else in play here. Four or five different singles going through a sick period at the same time is improbable.

You said your hygrometer is dead on, get a second one to verify it's reading, you can always use the second one in your second humidor you will soon be purchasing very soon.... :laugh: Make sure you salt test both.

As for cigars being too wet to smoke at 70%RH, I disagree. I find a higher RH brings out different flavors in certain cigars...not ALL cigars, but a few. Monti #2s and #4s come to mind...and PLPC & BBF are two anothers. Most VR, Partagas & Johnny-Os I smoke at a lower RH, they taste horrible above 65% RH. My long term aging is always done at 70%. When I want to test a stick out of the higher RH zone, I put it in my 55-58% RH dry box for a day or two before I smoke it.

What he may be experiencing is just the taste of a young cigar, that acrid, semi-grassy, metallic like taste we have become familiar with when we smoke the products coming out of that ISOM. Maybe the first few he smoked were a bit older or his expectations were not as high when smoking his initial few. That preconceived notion can be a killer when trying to enjoy a cigar during a special moment....whether it be at a wedding or during a quiet moment with a dram and a nice cigar on your deck.

It really is hard to pin something like this down like this with such a broad stroke when it involves a person's inexperienced palette....and when I say inexperienced, that doesn't necessarily mean number of cigars smoked in one's lifetime, just what a cigar's profile is like per each different manufacturer when you decide to branch out to experience other brands & sizes.

Keep smoking, in time you will come up with conclusions of your own...it will reveal itself sooner than you think.

How is the current outside humidity compared to before?

Wurm, I think HM meant one cigar stealing moisture from another.