• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Syrup Makin TIme

Capt J

Quiet Member
We made 51 gallons of sorghum syrup Friday and Saturday. It turned out really good.  We will make at least once more this fall for a neighbor who has a patch that is not quite ripe yet.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11105]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11108]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11101]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11103]

No wonder leaf-peepers come to my sugarhouse and wonder why we don't make maple syrup in the fall. What do you get a gallon for that stuff? I get around 35 to 40 dollars for mine.
Doc

The thought that they came around just to see your sweet smil'n face never crossed your mind, eh Doc!?

Devil Doc said:
No wonder leaf-peepers come to my sugarhouse and wonder why we don't make maple syrup in the fall. What do you get a gallon for that stuff? I get around 35 to 40 dollars for mine.
Doc
Woah! I never knew it was that valuable.

On a side note... A friend of mine was all excited to share his childhood memory of real maple syrup with his kids recently. He said that they were so used to the artificial sugary syrup, that they had no appreciation for the real thing. Much to his dismay.

It is selling for between $40 and $64/gallon ($10-$16/quart).  Back in the old days it was used to make moonshine when no one had money to buy sugar. The yield of syrup from the juice is usually 1:7 or 8. I think maple syrup requires about 40 gallons of sap to the gallon of syrup.
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11106]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:11099]

Doc

On a side note... A friend of mine was all excited to share his childhood memory of real maple syrup with his kids recently. He said that they were so used to the artificial sugary syrup, that they had no appreciation for the real thing. Much to his dismay.

That's wholesale,John. A bit more in grocery stores. A bit more than that in tourist traps.

Doc

Devil Doc said:

Doc

That's wholesale,John. A bit more in grocery stores. A bit more than that in tourist traps.

Doc

I was just going to say that! It is much higher in the stores and main road travel areas.

Very educational, thanks for taking the time to post the photos.