• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Talisker 1992 Distillers Edition

GregSVT

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch.
Talisker 1992 Distillers Edition, bottled in 2005, 13 years old, 45.8% or 91.6 proof, $50-$80, available nationwide. My bottle arrived by itself but I've seen it in a box at the liquor store.
01464.gif

This is my first ever review of a scotch so bear with me as my taste buds are not as keen as AVB's.

This Talisker is very different from the other bottlings as it is switched to Jerez Amoroso Sherry Casks for it's final maturing. The color is a light amber color in the glass and the nose without ice smells very much of alcohol, pepper, and peat. I noticed once I put a good amount of ice in the glass the sherry comes through in the nose a lot more. The tasting is big with peat and pepper with a slight sweetness from the sherry. The finish is long and starts with the peat and pepperiness of the taste but the sherry comes through loud and clear towards the end and lasts much longer than the other flavors.

I'm a huge fan of the Macallan 12 and Balvenie 12 and I would say this scotch is close to those but is different enough to stand out on it's own. If you are a fan of sherried scotches this is a nice dram with a different taste.

'Tis a bit (!) peatier then Macallan or Balvenie but well worth it. I'll be looking for more of your reviews. Can't find it for less then $70 near me so $50 is outstanding!

'Tis a bit (!) peatier then Macallan or Balvenie but well worth it. I'll be looking for more of your reviews. Can't find it for less then $70 near me so $50 is outstanding!

I subscribe to product updates by email from here. They had bought a good number of cases of this at an outstanding price and offered them for $49 a bottle for a limited time so I had to buy it. I believe they're out of stock currently and the price is set at $69 so yeah $50 was an outstanding deal.

I have a question, Ray. I also bought a 17 yo Balvenie New Oak bottle that says "First Bottling" on it. Does this mean it is the first of it's kind? Would it be worth something in the future? I don't want to open it if it could be a collectors item.

Everything if kept long enough can be a collectible. The Balvenie New Wood did not sell well and wasn't rated as high as most Balvenies either so they made a few changes and came out with the New Oak version. Will this first release be worth investing in? Not unless it becomes a regular part of the lineup and sells well or you keep it for 30+ years.

Excellent review Greg. Thanks for taking the time to jot down your thoughts on this one. I have both the 10 and and 18 in this line and was thinking about purchasing the 25 year old. I'd be interested as to how you/anyone think(s) this compares to the 10 and 18. Is it different enough that you would buy a bottle if you had the others on hand?

Thanks in advance!

Excellent review Greg. Thanks for taking the time to jot down your thoughts on this one. I have both the 10 and and 18 in this line and was thinking about purchasing the 25 year old. I'd be interested as to how you/anyone think(s) this compares to the 10 and 18. Is it different enough that you would buy a bottle if you had the others on hand?

Thanks in advance!

This is my first taste of a Talisker so I don't know how it compares to the others. I'm not a huge peat flavored scotch fan so I don't know if I would buy a 10 or 18 Talisker bottle without trying it somewhere. I got this one because 1. it was matured in sherry wood and I love sherried scotches and 2. it was a good deal and I had a few other bottles I wanted from the site. I'm sure AVB could comment on the 25 year old though.

Some folks opinion that I mostly agree with.

The Talisker 25 mellows out what the 18 is a bit too much and so it doesn't rate as high with me. Just persons one opinion though.

Thanks guys I appreciate the info and the link. I'll seek out a sample of the Distiller's Edition before popping for a bottle.

I just had my first taste of this tonight. It really does need the water or ice for the sherry to come through. It is MUCH peatier than the Balvenie and any Macallan offering I've tasted.

The pepper is quite pronounced and the smokiness is quite pleasing. I never really get the sweetness, but I'm not so good at this whisky tasting thing quite yet.

I like it. It's different than the 10 year old (the only other Talisker I've had any decent amount of), but it has that same kind of profile. Spicy, smoky, and very full of flavor.

I received my small bottle as a gift, so I can't comment on price.

i've had it, the only Talisker I've tasted. The 'peppery' bit put me off Talisker, and even though it's very mild in this expression, I found it quite noticeable and a little bit excessive. I doubt strongly I'd like the 'regular' Talisker a bit.

Overall I loved the quality, just a dash more pepper and peat than a non-islay guy desires.. not sweet and 'honeyed' enough... I think for someone NOT an Islay lover, it's a very good choice to develop an appreciation of the style.. a 'bridge' to Islay.

I really liked the whisky esthetically, theoretically, as a critic.. but not to OWN.., I think it's close to (somebody chime in) Highland Park 18, with pepper. :) It wouldn't ever get a negative comment from me, it's just on page two of my 'best' list.