• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tamdhu 18 year-old

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
tamdh1800_2.jpg

picture courtesy of the Whiskeystore.de

700ml bottle 67€uro

Having earned some "fun money" doing under the table work repairing a computer I decided to splurge and pick up a bottle of 18 year-old Tamdhu.

The bottle arrived today and I took a glass of it out onto the balcony to try.

Wow everything that makes the 10 year-old a great whiskey is squared with 8 more years.

The color is a bit darker than its younger brother.

The nose is very pleasant with notes of Amontillado Sherry and AVB will be glad to know that it has no hint of Tequila ;) that I noticed with the 10 year-old.

On the tongue it is sweet and mellow with no bite at all, I noticed vanilla, and oranges with a hint of peat and malt. There are other flavors there as well but none that my inexperienced palate can distinguish.

The finish is long and very pleasing with the orange flavor fading into subtle hints of oak.

If you have tried and like the 10 year-old I can not stress how much more the extra 8 years has improved this whiskey.

Highly recommended :thumbs:

Good to see some new reviews and reviewers. I'll have to add this to my list of "somedays" :laugh:

IMHO i did not like this one I am not overly crazy about a real peaty taste and this one was a bit strong in peat for me. I really enjoyed the ten year old though. wurm disagrees with me but thats just my .02 everyone has thier on likes and dislikes.

Didn't stop him from drinking a quarter of the bottle though :rolleyes:

I told you bro, I just think your taste was off that night, Tamdhu isn't very "Peaty" at all.

Tamdhu is a Speyside whisky and as such isn't peated. There are variations but nothing I've found indicates that the 18 or 25 yo for that matter is anything more then a higher aged 10. It seemingly does get better with more barrel time from what I've read.