• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Black Corona Gorda (Cello)

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Tatuaje Black
Size: 5 5/8" x 46 rg Corona Gorda
Wrapper: Nicaraguan
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Strength: Medium

Recently, I posted an ISO in the BST forum that was requesting to purchase a single Tatuaje Black from the jar release. The reason behind the purchase was so as to give my good friend Shant a surprise gift to thank him for a lot of help he has given me lately. Well, needless to say that Greg was quick to step up to the plate and render assistance! :D Not only did he graciously gift said cigar to me to in turn gift to Shant, he also sent along a second Black, this one wrapped in cellophane. I asked Greg if I could please repay him for his kindness, and he yet again reminded me that he is indeed a BOTL, and to simply enjoy the smokes and let me know how they were. Well, Greg, you asked for it, you got it! :)

I gifted Shant the jar release Black, and in turn kept the cello one for myself to enjoy alongside him when the time was right to finally burn these babies. After a short rest in the humidor, the day came that simply screamed, "Burn the Tat Blacks!". I grabbed the Tat's, a couple Boli's, and we (Shant and my brother) piled into the car to drive over to Bo's. I handed my brother and Bo their cigars, Shant and I took ours, and we all sat back to enjoy a couple hours of bliss.

Pre-Light

This particular cigar is different from the jar release, in that Pete had a large number of the Blacks that did not pass muster. Not seconds really in that they are not banded as such, the wrapper color on the first few batches of the Blacks were too light, and Pete decided he would package them in cellophane and bundle them to be released after the jars. While the jar release was a darker, more milk chocolate color, this cello Black featured a golden brown wrapper that shimmered with oils. The texture was utterly silky soft, and I was extremely impressed by the flawless construction. The cigar featured a wonderful triple seam fuma style cap and a covered foot that had wrapper completely obscuring the cut portion of the foot. The scent of the wrapper was a delightfully sweet tobacco aroma, that had my mouth watering in anticipation.

Burn & Draw

I decided to punch the cap so as to avoid the possible bad luck of a rouge bad cut. I was slightly worried at this point as Greg had stated he hoped the draw was ok, as the last few Blacks he had, the draw was very loose. No need to fear here though, the draw was spot on! The burn was impeccable and required absolutely no touchups, simply leaving in its wake a tightly banded light gray ash that held on rock solid until let go every half inch.

Flavor Profile

The pre-light draw carried on it a slightly grassy taste that was very pleasing and actually lasted a bit on the palate. On the initial light, I was greeted by a perfect peppery blast from the covered foot that quickly subsided after a quarter inch in. Once the pepper had backed down enough, the other flavors started to show through and reveal what this cigar had to offer. A complex array of ever changing flavors were present throughout the smoke, each becoming more prominent than the other and lasting long on the silky smooth finish. I tasted toasted nuts, leather, rich tobacco, earth, and of course black pepper. As I slowly sipped the cigar, stretching it out over an hour and a half, I was amazed at how easy it was to pick out the individual flavors, and how quickly they came and went throughout the smoke. There was only one single flavor that stood out the entire time of the cigar, never loosing its strength but not overpowering the other tastes, and it was that of hickory smoke. This was only completely mind blowing in the last fourth of the cigar, when the tastes and smoke took on what I can only describe as a chewy, meaty quality that was very hard to figure out. Fantastic. Simply fantastic.

Overall Impression

I'm a Tat whore, simply put. I've never had a bad one aside from one that was young, and I am not afraid to say that they are easily my favorite brand. Now, I realize I am biased doing this review, as these cigars are extremely hyped and my love for Tat's doesn't help. However, that being said, I know that despite all that, this cigar was absolutely amazing. If it had had been unbanded and sent to me without an explanation of what it is by Greg, I have a strong feeling that I would have enjoyed it just as much. I cannot thank Greg enough for sending this cigar, it was a true treat to enjoy. The flavors were hard hitting yet complex, and featured some of the most lip smacking quality about them that I have experienced yet. I have never smoked a Corona Gorda that slowly before, stretching it out over an hour and a half! :laugh: Shant was in sheer bliss in the chair next to me, and at one point simply cursed Greg for making him ravenous to get more of these. I hope that the Black Tubos are this good! :love:

DSC_0329.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0346.jpg

DSC_0341.jpg

DSC_0336.jpg

Great review on my favorite cigar. I have trouble keeping a stash of these in the humi. Glad you enjoyed it as well!

Great review, I'm trying to get more into Tats but they are harder to come by around me. Still, I've really enjoyed the ones I've had. You had my mouth watering!

Great review!!! The Tat black is simply an amazing smoke and one the I personally covet such as those that do the Opus. A nice play by Greg as well on the gifting of the smoke...

Great review, hands down my favorite cigar as well. I hope the tubos are just as good as I have been a very unhappy camper since my stash ran out!

Awesome review and pics Charles! Glad you and Shant enjoyed them! Now where can we find a full jar! :D

Awesome review and pics Charles! Glad you and Shant enjoyed them! Now where can we find a full jar! :D

Greg, I again cannot thank you enough. That cigar was sublime, it truly was. :love:

I'm glad you enjoyed the review! Nothing makes me happier than to be able to enjoy a cigar that was gifted to me as much as I did this one. To share the experience with you only further augments that enjoyment. :D

Trust me, no thanks to you now I am cursed with the futile task of tracking down a jar of these. If I snag one, I'll split it with you! :laugh:

Thanks for the great review. One of these days I'll find a Tat black...