• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Coffee...so, how is it?

CRQuarto

Brrraaaiiinnnsss.....
Doing a search for, "Tatuaje Coffee" brought up about five pages of reviews that mention coffee notes in the flavor profile. Heh.

How's his actual coffee? I'm picking up a grinder and french press today to start enjoying quality coffee with my cigars, and I was wondering about his beans. I also was looking at the Illusione beans, if anyone has some input on those! :D I hate normal, crappy office coffee with the acidic aftertaste and instant acid reflux! Good blends are a beautiful thing....

Thank you gents! (And any gals that may lurk...)

Not sure about the Tatuaje coffee,but it's probably got some spice to it!

:sign:

I can't speak for the Tatuaje coffee, but I've heard grumblings of a special CP blend. I don't know if it's available or not though...

I can't speak for the Tatuaje coffee, but I've heard grumblings of a special CP blend. I don't know if it's available or not though...

Looks like Rod said he was going to roast up more, but that is about it. :( Hopefully it becomes available soon, I miss drinking coffee, good coffee I should say none of that Folgers crap.

This "Tatuaje Coffee" you speak of is a Silo Cigars exclusive. You should give the store a call and Kevin, Donovan, or Paul can tell you all about it.

-Mark

edited to add. Pssst, I would also suggest trying Intelligentsia Coffee on your journey to finding the perfect cup. Also, if you find that the cup of coffee you get with a french press is too dirty, go for the Chemex.

Looks like Rod said he was going to roast up more, but that is about it. :( Hopefully it becomes available soon, I miss drinking coffee, good coffee I should say none of that Folgers crap.

Maybe he has, and just not let the general public know about it ;). I don't have the inside scoop, just trying to see the glass as half full.

I hear you about the good coffee thing. I worked at a coffee shop for 3 years in my college days. We roasted all our own beans. It ruined me, now I'm a coffee snob for sure!

Hehe, well, I wouldn't say I am at snob level, yet...I just hate acidic coffee. I'll look into that Intelligentsia, and I plan on ordering some of Pete's coffee as well. I love the french press, and I only need a one cup size as I don't drink much. I had a cup today with an Anejo, and man I was loving it! :D

I'm going to shoot Rod an email and see what the status is on the CP blend, I wouldn't mind giving my money to him!

You need to get your hands on a roaster...

or find a BOTL that will roast for you. :whistling:

You need to get your hands on a roaster...

or find a BOTL that will roast for you. :whistling:

Some day, some day! :D I've heard nothing compares to a fresh home roast...

Not that I've got much experience in home roasting or anything...

While I was in Texas on vacation last week I stayed with my parents for a couple days. While I was there, my step-dad told me that he was roasting his own Organic coffee beans. I asked how he was doing this and he told me.

We walked out to the garage and on his workbench sat a popcorn popping machine. You know, the kind where you pour in half a cup of raw kernels and out comes popcorn out the top? Well, in three minutes flat we had fresh roasted beans. Now, I'm no coffee conessieour, but I can say that some of the beans he roasted are actually kind of good. Little to no acid bite, smooth on the palate, easy to swallow, those kinds of things. I just think it's interesting how easy it was to roast his own beans at home.

He's probably doing it the wrong way entirely, but he's having fun doing it and saving money in the process.

Cafe con lecha on the stove top using the sock thing I might have to make a trip to the ave to pick one up

edit can't quote a post right

You know, i thought i was a coffee snob until i had some WaWa hazelnut or Dunkin Dounuts Hazelnut and really liked it. Now i just think I'm an confused asshole when it comes to coffee.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......Fresh Roast!!
Nothing better!
:thumbs:

Nothing better!

If you're using good beans, I don't have a clue in the world why anybody would French Roast.

I seek enlightenment. Care to help?

-Mark

Ummmmm...look a little closer.
Than would be fresh roast not french roast.
Time to switch to decaf? :whistling:

I asked why anybody would French Roast because you actually roast beans, and might have some insight into it, while I don't.

I suppose my attempt at generalization, all the while quoting your post, led to some confusion.

Not switching to decaf, sorry.

-Mark

Being that I roasted beans for a short time, I can take a stab at this one. Some people prefer the flavor of a french roast, to me it just tastes burnt. Ultimately it's about personal preference.

An interesting little FYI that some people don't realize is that the darker the roast, the less caffeine is left in the bean. A lot of people think it is the other way around.

Nothing better!

If you're using good beans, I don't have a clue in the world why anybody would French Roast.

I seek enlightenment. Care to help?

-Mark

Ummmmm...look a little closer.
Than would be fresh roast not french roast.
Time to switch to decaf? :whistling:

I asked why anybody would French Roast because you actually roast beans, and might have some insight into it, while I don't.

I suppose my attempt at generalization, all the while quoting your post, led to some confusion.

Not switching to decaf, sorry.

-Mark

You are correct. I was confused. :blush:

As far as why anybody would french roast a bean is beyond me. But, that's just me. At that point of the roast ( app. 475 degrees ) the compounds and oils are burned out of the bean leaving a burnt taste to the coffee. The beans in the pic were pulled from the roaster right at the beginning of the second crack, around 440 degrees. At this point the bean will begin to show small amounts of oils coming to the surface of the bean. A perfect roast as far as my taste go. But again, that's just me and everyones taste varies. The other reason I would never take a bean to a french roast is the whole caffeine issue. Dave is right. The darker you go the less caffeine in the bean and that's half the reason I drink the stuff. And Mark, don't blame ya, I wouldn't switch either.

While I have no factual basis for this view, French Roast to me always seemed like a way for a coffee company to salvage burnt beans, kinda give it a suave name and sell it as special, under a PT Barnum philosophy of "this way to see the egress".

Cparker