• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Gran Cojonu

humboldtflyer

ALONE...
There have been two cigars that I have been wanting to review for a while now. This is one one them, and the 601 Red Label is the other... read it here

Tatuaje Gran Cojonu
USA
Size: 6 1/2 x 60
Smoke Time: 1hour 40 minutes (approximately) ???
Wrapper: Nicaragua Corojo 99
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua

Look and feel: 92-93
Flavor and Aroma: 92
Burn: 91
My rating: 92

Ok... Let me firs start of by saying that this cigar looks like a freaking thing of beauty... Nice oily wrapper, and a beautiful medium dark brown color. A few small veins but hardly noticeable to the touch. Construction was flawless and
had the nice classic roll style with a flawless triple cap.

I was a bit worried about being able to cut this thing with my xikar because of the huge ring gauge but it was rounded enough to allow the cutter to clip off just the right amount. Prelight draw was perfection... just the right amount of drag. It had a beautiful rich tobacco flavor and smell was nice as well with hints of sweetness.

Light went off without any problems... I was a little worried because of the undressed foot and the fact that the cigar was so large. But it all went much smoother than my expectations.

First third:
I was initially hit with a nice eruption of spice on my palate that was wonderful. It wasn't harsh or off-putting, but quite smooth and rich. Flavor quickly evolved into a nice leather and cocoa balance that was very enjoyable and the spice fell to the background. Burn was slightly wavy but not disruptive or distracting. Very nice so far...
phonecampics010.jpg

Second third:
Cigar hasn't evolved much from the first third as far as flavor profile and smoke quality... Still very rich with a nice leather and cocoa flavor. The background spice still there as well kind of subtly stating "I'm here... don't forget about me!" Burn still a bit wavy but nothing to worry about. This cigar has my full attention. Very enjoyable and fun to smoke.

Final third/finish:
Once this cigar started to warm up in the final third the flavor started changing. I went to the more full bodied side of the spectrum and more of that earthy sweetness came to the forefront. Flavor profile changed for me to more of a coffee and molasses. I love this stick! Burn still wavy and not perfect, and a small crack in the wrapper lead to the cigar starting to unravel in the last two inches.
phonecampics012.jpg

Cigar had a beautiful long finish and I didn't want to put it down...
I was so wrapped up in this cigar that I literally forgot to take some of the pictures I wanted to. :blush:
Definitely a must-try if you haven't experienced one yet...

I have two more of these in my humi, I can't wait to see what some age does to them!

My other review of the 601 Habano "Red Label" Robusto will be coming shortly... Thanks for your time guys! linky

*edited for links

Nice review Jadon. I had a box of the Con. 2003. I can,t keep my hands off of them long enough to get any age on them.

Sounds so good!
It is one of the few Tatuajes that I haven't yet smoked...

How long did it take you?

Sounds so good!
It is one of the few Tatuajes that I haven't yet smoked...

How long did it take you?

I assume you are talking about smoke time...

Tatuaje Gran Cojonu
USA
Size: 6 1/2 x 60
Smoke Time: 1hour 40 minutes (approximately) ???
Wrapper: Nicaragua Corojo 99
Filler: Nicaragua
Binder: Nicaragua

I stated approximately because in fact I wasn't really keeping a close eye on the time as I was smoking it... I like to take my time with Pepin products, so it could have been more like 2 hours... not entirely sure. :)

Excellent review and pictures Jadon! :thumbs:

Awesome review. This was the first Tat I had...someone bombed me with 3 of them. Been hooked ever since and always have them in the humidor. :thumbs:

Sorry, I did not see the Gran cojonu when I read your review Jadon. I have yet to try these.

IMHO this is one of life's great pleasures. As I said before, I am glad this are a little hard to come by because if they weren't I would cut them up and put them in my cereal. Great review and great pics!! :thumbs:

I almost ordered these but when I called Holt's the rep. told me they are no different from other Tats. . I have since questioned whether that was true. So how do the Conjonu differ from other Tats.?

Glad to hear that it was so good. I have one of these waiting in the humi right now, and is going to be torched Saturday night. Now I know that it will be something to look forward to.
B

One of the few I haven't had yet, though I've had one resting almost a year now. Looking forward to it. Great review.