• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje Monster Series "Monsters"

WOW there are alot of Haters of the Tatuaje brand. LOL This tread wasn't ment for an all out Tatuaje or Pete bashing like most due on any other thread started about his cigars. Just looking for the opinons on the choice of monster charcters. I have enjoied most of his stuff I wouldn't say it is the best around but decent. I really like the Halloween concept!

Thanks Paul

Edit for my shitty use of words and typing skills!

Hates a strong word.

Remember, be specific in what you are asking.

BTW - it's already been answered. Pete is a fan of the old horror film characters - mainly Universal.

As for the Face...I blame robbie!

edit...but what they are posting about is true.

WOW there are alot of Haters of the Tatuaje brand. LOL This tread wasn't ment for an all out Tatuaje or Pete bashing like most due on any other thread started about his cigars. Just looking for the opinons on the choice of monster charcters. I have enjoied most of his stuff I wouldn't say it is the best around but decent. I really like the Halloween concept!

Thanks Paul

Edit for my shitty use of words and typing skills!

Hates a strong word.

Remember, be specific in what you are asking.

BTW - it's already been answered. Pete is a fan of the old horror film characters - mainly Universal.

As for the Face...I blame robbie!

edit...but what they are posting about is true.

Hate is a strong word... I guess I was speeking slang in saying haters. I don't think that there is any thing false with what they are posting. Clearly quite a lot of people feel this way about the LE stuff. It's just funny that no matter what is asked or posted about the monster series there is always a few that have negative comments. Which is fine some guys like Ford some like Chevy everyone has a reason. Like I have said before I'm new on the world of cigars and have yet to come across any problems with the Tatuaje product.

Paul,

I picked up a Wolfman on Saturday and have plans to be a total cornball and smoke it on Halloween. BTW, Leatherface was pushing it as far as characters licensed to Movie Studios, but since TCM is nearly 50 years old, maybe Pete wasn't concerned with getting sued. Drac, Wolf, Mummy and Frank have been around forever and are safe. But Jason, Freddy and Michael Myers might be stepping on some trademark toes. I think you make a good point, it just maybe a case of running out of viable characters.

Tall Paul - I can totally empathize with you on this one. I also love Halloween and all the great horror movies, as well as falling for the marketing genius of Pete and Tatuaje. I am deff. hooked on these cigars. I agree about the rumor of "The Mummy" being the next Monster.

As far as "The Face" not fitting into the norm, you are correct. Pete, being the smart business man he is, thought of this situation ahead of time and came up with a good idea. Knowing there are only so many original 'monsters', and foreseeing a very desirable, annual LE coming out of this idea, sticking to just the original monsters would make the series only last a few years at best. By throwing in some modern monsters, he can keep the hype going for a while.... If you notice the dress box of "The Face", it has all the characteristics as a 'monster box'. However, the dress box is rectangle in shape. The Frank, The Drac, and The Wolfman are 'original" monsters, therefore coming in a coffin shaped box. Don't be surprised to see more modern 'monsters' coming in rectangular shaped boxes. I would imagine that the Mummy, being an original monster, would probably come in a coffin shaped dress box. Pretty cool angle of marketing that many over look. This only came to light in a conversation I had over a stogie with another CP member.

Many people cringe, and feel the need to vent when they hear Pete J, Tatuaje, or Monster Series. Understandable- with over 15,000 members, Im sure not everyone can agree with each other all the time. (which makes me laugh when people feel the need to bash him, and his brand on a thread that clearly supports him) :laugh: We get it. Tatuaje is not for everyone. Read, disagree and move on. To each there own. As far as my own likes, and dislikes - I hope Pete soars in this industry and over time, gains the respect he clearly deserves. I have never had a Tat that I didn't like. Some were better than others for sure, and yes, sometimes its all about the marketing, and some sticks MSRP don't reflect the smoke, but thats life.

Looking forward to the hunt next year. . . ;)

Boris was also in 09(and also old school). Don't know why they'd mix new and old genres, maybe their marketing VP is a little twitchy?

I have heard an interview with Pete J., and he clearly states that he "does not consider the Boris part of the monster series." Fancy box-yes, Horror film reference-yes, part of the monster series-sorry but no.

I have heard an interview with Pete J., and he clearly states that he "does not consider the Boris part of the monster series." Fancy box-yes, Horror film reference-yes, part of the monster series-sorry but no.

Ah, they list it with the rest of the monsters on their website, but that might've been easier than listing it as a one off.

There are supposed to be 13 releases...so he has to be picky.

As for the quality of the release. There seem to always be issues of some sort. WIth such a limted release, it's come to be expceted.

I think most who post have had experience with these smokes.

The cigars I've had all have had some issue as well. Whether unraveling(the Wolfman unraveled) or large stems(I posted about the Face).

Comes to be expected!

But yea...trademarks and all...there is a limit.

edit - there have been some great smokes by Tat...and some just ok - that of course is based on taste.

How about...

The Zombie

The Blob

or:
The Vampire Lovers (1970, UK) (a remake of Vadim's film) starring Ingrid Pitt as a sexy, erotic and lesbian vampire ("Beautiful temptress...or Bloodthirsty monster?") who corrupted innocent teenaged daughter Emma Morton (Madeline Smith), chasing after her semi-naked in her bedroom. [Note: Ingrid Pitt proved such a success in the Hammer film that she was immediately given the title role inCountess Dracula (1971) the following year, a toned-down film (not technically a vampire film) based on the legendary story of Elizabeth (Erzsebet) Bathory.]

Paul,

I picked up a Wolfman on Saturday and have plans to be a total cornball and smoke it on Halloween. BTW, Leatherface was pushing it as far as characters licensed to Movie Studios, but since TCM is nearly 50 years old, maybe Pete wasn't concerned with getting sued. Drac, Wolf, Mummy and Frank have been around forever and are safe. But Jason, Freddy and Michael Myers might be stepping on some trademark toes. I think you make a good point, it just maybe a case of running out of viable characters.

Bingo. Quoted for troof.

ETA: Most definitely naming something with the likeness of Freddy, Jason, Pinhead, et al will require a hefty sum paid to the studios who own those rights, and odds are they wouldn't want them associated with tobacco.

Paul,

Bingo. Quoted for troof.

ETA: Most definitely naming something with the likeness of Freddy, Jason, Pinhead, et al will require a hefty sum paid to the studios who own those rights, and odds are they wouldn't want them associated with tobacco.

A ninfa size maybe?

Forgot where I heard it or read it but the choice of Monsters is on a schedule. 2 Classic's then 1 modern. So you have a werewolf and a mummy then afterwards would be a modern monster. No clue on schedule for "undressed" Monsters. The actor has to be iconic for the series to work.

I've liked to two "monsters" that I have tried. I would really chase them, but if I'm in a shop and see one I'll get it. Paying $13 for something new is worth it.

The biggest problem is that Pete released the best of the Monster series first with the Frank. The rest of them have been a disappointment by comparison in my opinion. If they were all as good, or better, than the Frank then I would keep chasing them.

Many people cringe, and feel the need to vent when they hear Pete J, Tatuaje, or Monster Series. Understandable- with over 15,000 members, Im sure not everyone can agree with each other all the time. (which makes me laugh when people feel the need to bash him, and his brand on a thread that clearly supports him) :laugh: We get it. Tatuaje is not for everyone. Read, disagree and move on. To each there own. As far as my own likes, and dislikes - I hope Pete soars in this industry and over time, gains the respect he clearly deserves. I have never had a Tat that I didn't like. Some were better than others for sure, and yes, sometimes its all about the marketing, and some sticks MSRP don't reflect the smoke, but thats life.

I think the large majority that have a bone to pick with Pete has to do with his marketing techniques, not his smokes. No doubt that Pete / Tatuaje (OK, Don Pepin) makes a fine, fine cigar.....but look at what the Padron family does. Some of the best cigars in the world, and you don't have to "take a number" or know the secret handshake to get your hands on a box. Making a small batch of cigars doesn't mean they will necessarily be better than a production run....only that there will be a lot fewer of them.

It's the hype that turns most people off, plain and simple. Hey, the in thread jokes were funny.... :p

Make no mistake, I have several boxes of Tat's in the cabinet and smoke them several times a week. For the guys that enjoy the chase, have at it and enjoy the ride. For the most part I'll stick to the "boring" sticks I can buy any day of the week.

JMHO, etc.....B.B.S.

What Tom says....

The cigar that sent me on this Slippery Slope was a 2 year old Tat Brown Label Regios that I received in my Noob sampler that I purchased. I clearly remember thinking as I got down to the last third of the stick that it tasted so good I wanted to eat it.

Also I easily bought a box of the Franks from one of the vendors on CP when they were released(he was on the first list). Just picked up the phone and called him....so bottom line is I like many Tat's...the chase just becomes old after a while when it comes to the limited sticks....PLUS...The Frank was by far the best to date so no reason to chase anyway.

The history of Pete's limited releases have had some issues to say the least. I'd much rather just go to my local and pick up a nice Padron

Like Tommy said, enjoy the chase if that's what you like...it's just not for everyone these days.

I think the large majority that have a bone to pick with Pete has to do with his marketing techniques, not his smokes. No doubt that Pete / Tatuaje (OK, Don Pepin) makes a fine, fine cigar.....but look at what the Padron family does. Some of the best cigars in the world, and you don't have to "take a number" or know the secret handshake to get your hands on a box.

Well, that is not totally true...there are quite a few less of the Natural Family Reserve every year then the Maduro (and Padron is happy to tell you how much more hard the Natural wrapper is going to be to find)...

Ultimately I think everyone can agree that Tatuaje is a business owned by PJ. Contrary to what the OWS protesters may think, PJ has the right to run his operation to make a profit and market in anyway he deems fit, that aren't illegal of course. As stated earlier, I think people may have a beef with the man, but for the most part his cigars have been good. I think he has heard from the public and have made these Monster releases more widely available. It's understandable that he wants to keep the hype up surrounding his brand, whether it is LE smokes or starting a fan club. It's all good. No one is forced to buy into it right. It's all voluntary.

Well, that is not totally true...there are quite a few less of the Natural Family Reserve every year then the Maduro (and Padron is happy to tell you how much more hard the Natural wrapper is going to be to find)...
...completely true. Can you pick up the phone, today, and buy a box of any Padron Family Reserve you want.?? Yes. Natural wrappers included....

Look, Pete can do what he wants and honestly I don't have any rocks to throw. I just like the way the Padron family runs their business......JMHO.

Ultimately I think everyone can agree that Tatuaje is a business owned by PJ. Contrary to what the OWS protesters may think, PJ has the right to run his operation to make a profit and market in anyway he deems fit, that aren't illegal of course. As stated earlier, I think people may have a beef with the man, but for the most part his cigars have been good. I think he has heard from the public and have made these Monster releases more widely available. It's understandable that he wants to keep the hype up surrounding his brand, whether it is LE smokes or starting a fan club. It's all good. No one is forced to buy into it right. It's all voluntary.
I agree 105%. Look, for the guys that love the chase, my answer is go for it. But, even Pete acknowledged on his Facebook page that the Monster series is more and more a pain in the backside, and less and less fun. Such is the challenge of fame, I guess..... But, good for him and I wish him the best, going forward.

Since I've had the pleasure of meeting Pete twice, I can say I like him and his taste when blending cigars. For those that don't smoke cigars when I tell them about high people re-sell his cigars their mouths drop in amazement. I have sometimes joined the "chase" on some of his LE's or "most newest release", it makes this hobby fun for me. If I don't get it after a couple of trys, no biggies. Eventually, I'll see it for sale in a sample pack or 5'ver and if I have the disposable cash available I'll inquire.
I notice on the different boards that Pete's cigars can create a great discussion point with members, some get very heated, some stay amicable. It's like being in a big locker room or bar, no matter what I enjoy hearing everyones point of view.
This is way better than to hear my wife and her friends talk about the newest episode on The Doctors. :)

...completely true. Can you pick up the phone, today, and buy a box of any Padron Family Reserve you want.?? Yes. Natural wrappers included....

Look, Pete can do what he wants and honestly I don't have any rocks to throw. I just like the way the Padron family runs their business......JMHO.

I agree 105%. Look, for the guys that love the chase, my answer is go for it. But, even Pete acknowledged on his Facebook page that the Monster series is more and more a pain in the backside, and less and less fun. Such is the challenge of fame, I guess..... But, good for him and I wish him the best, going forward.

I also agree with this as well. I am one that really enjoys the hunt. Mostly due to the horror movie/halloween ties but its not for everyone.
Padron at this time is my favorite brand as well and as for them being hard to find I also disagree. I recently figured this out when I wanted to try to get my hands on a couple 80 th's and I just grabbed them at my local shop.

The LE stuff to me just adds some excitement to this hobby.