• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje RC 184

Wyld Bill

The RC 184 is another cigar from t he fine line of Cigars that Pete Johnson and Pepin Garcia have blended. This vitola is a figurado/Saloman shape, measuring 7/14 X 57. It has a nice tri-colored band with the Tatuaje Logo as well as the name of the cigar. Also, foil is wrapped over half of the cigar, including the cap. This is much like the CC of old and how they were packaged. It comes in a box of 10 and each cigar goes from $15 - 20, depending where you are able to find them (G0 figure, taxes are different everywhere.) Most know this is one of the reserve line made in Nicaragua. The RC in the vitola title refers to "retro cuban"

After removing the foil and band, the wrapper is a nice dark, oily brown with minor veins. It is well made, as you would expect from this cigar. The cap is well placed and no defects were detected in the wrapper. Huge scents of black pepper, dark roasted espresso and cedar emitted off this cigar. My impression of this cigar is don't smoke this one on any empty stomach, or pair it with something that will overpower the flavor. I had a cup of Tatuaje White Label coffee and a Stella Artois. These turned out to be perfect.

I used my Palio cutter, which had no problem in cutting the crown. Taste showed the same peppery and espresso flavors. Pre-light draw was perfect. Since this is a figurado, I used care to toast this cigar. It lit with no problems and provided me a great black pepper taste, with a small amount of Cedar and Cayenne pepper flavor. A great amount of smoke came off this cigar, the nice blue/grey plumes that filled the air with a great aroma.

Through the first third, this cigar had a great flavor, as well as a nice finish. No bitterness was present and the flavor kept you wanting more. A minor uneven burn issue came up, but with a minor touch-up, this cigar smoked awesome. Still had the same big peppery flavors, espresso, cedar and a small hint of toasted almonds came through at times. This did not take away from the flavor, but added to it.

The second third was as good as the first one. Same great powerful flavors were present and continued to meld well, showing a well made cigar that was blended to show off the true "cubanesque" or New Cuban flavor it was created to display. A floral note came through in this third; lavender or lilac. Hard to discern, as it was very subtle. There was still a minor issue of uneven burn, which is consistent with many figurados. But, this was quickly fixed with a slight touch-up. A nice white/light grey ash was also present, which held well into place.

The last third was mellowing a bit with the peppery flavors. It was still an great cigar, had great smoke, but subtle changes in the flavor became more apparent. I still tasted pepper (Black and Cayenne) but more of the espresso, mature tobacco flavor was evident. The smoke was still fantastic, as was the finish. Minor burn issues still became present, but again, with a minor touch up, no problems of tunneling.

Overall, this cigar was great. Not a life changing event, but a great one. Huge flavors, blended well together. The cigar was well made and prefect after a huge dinner. Nicotine never reared its head, but you could be struck by surprise if you smoke this one fast. This cigar took me 2 hours, 20 minutes to smoke while I read the new Stuart Woods novel (Great reading by the way.) I rate this one a 9.1 out of 10. The only problem that I had was the minor burn issues, which were easily fixed. I really enjoyed this cigar on a lazy day off.

Definitely take the time and smoke one of these. It will be well worth the expense to enjoy a great cigar! Thanks for taking the time to read and hope the review helps.

Great review, and only on your 4th post!

Pictures make it all the more interesting, just for future reference.

Nicely Done.

Nice review of a pretty bad ass smoke!

Well done. I have to say that the RC-184 is responsible for one of the most memorable smoking experiences I've had.
Truly a marvelous smoke.

Fantastic review, descriptive enough I almost don't need pics.

Nice review! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, they sound delicious.

Nice review!! I have one sitting in the humi waiting for my long awaited vacation this month. Its going to be nice to burn this bad boy while sitting on the beach doing nothing!!!!!

Nice review mate.
I am just a little bit jealous now.... :D

Very nice review, no pics necessary on my account.

The 184 is a bada$$, no doubt about that. Well done!

I really enjoy the 184....I think the 233 pales in comparison. Nice write up.