• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tatuaje

Glacies

Reaction score
My buddy was in town with his chickerita for a wine festival this weekend. He picked some Tatuajes for us, and I had my first one ever on Saturday morning with a cup of coffee.

Now someone tell me what the deal is. He bought them from Havanna Connection in Richmond VA - a place I've been to a lot, I thought it was a good place. Picked them up on Friday, smoked on Saturday morning. My Wrapper was split down the middle on Saturday morning, even though it was perfect on Friday night. They were in a Zip Lock baggie the whole time.

The cigar was incredible (had a lot of wine in between then and now, I just remembered thinking I had to buy a box), but the wrapper was a big bummer. The burn on mine sucked because the wrapper was failing to catch, the burn on his sucked and he had no such wrapper trouble. It was a stressful smoke to say the least, but am going to buy a few more to get a more accurate representation.

seems a bit odd to me... Though the wrappers in my experience are indeed quite fragile, I have never had burn/draw issues.

Exactly which Tatuaje are you referring to?

In my experience the brown label Tats need to be at 65% or less for some time to burn correctly. The split was most likely a result of a dramatic humidity change.

Hope that is some help.

As a self proclaimed Pepin whore... I hate to report that I too have had wrapper issues with severl of the Tatuaje/DPG lines. I have given in to the fact that a little touch up here and there or a small crack (which typically takes care of itself) is a price I am willing to pay for a fine smoke.

Glad you enjoyed!

mac

the split is usually the result of a large and quick change in humidity and or temp.

Which Havana connection did you go to, the one by Midlothian, or by Short Pump? Was this the Havana Connection where the whole store is basically one huge humidor where everyone is smoking inside. I have had burn issues with the cigars I have bought from there. Unless, I let them sit for a few weeks after I buy from there.
They are a pretty good place to go to other than that.

It also could have just been a freak thing for both of you as well. Don't give up yet. Tatuaje may not end up being your thing, but this many people can't be wrong.

In my experience the brown label Tats need to be at 65% or less for some time to burn correctly. The split was most likely a result of a dramatic humidity change.

Hope that is some help.

Well, Pete was looking for the old time classic Cuban feel for a NC, he even got the RH aspect down as well.

Kind of embarrassing, but not really, but I really was successfully full blown bombed by 1:00pm that day. I remember it being a red label so I guess it could have been brown.

edit to add: probably 5.5" long, 50 on the ring - remember becuase that's all my cutter can do

Which Havana connection did you go to, the one by Midlothian, or by Short Pump? Was this the Havana Connection where the whole store is basically one huge humidor where everyone is smoking inside. I have had burn issues with the cigars I have bought from there. Unless, I let them sit for a few weeks after I buy from there.
They are a pretty good place to go to other than that.

It also could have just been a freak thing for both of you as well. Don't give up yet. Tatuaje may not end up being your thing, but this many people can't be wrong.

He picked them up from the one in Short Pump where it's like one large humidor, yes. You get there often? Nowhere near giving up, just really remember that cigar being awesome, but no one around me sells them. May have to order a 5'er offline.

Seems like you guys had the havana VI line. Red/pink label. I also do experience a delicate wrapper on these among other pepins/tatuajes. Black label, padilla sig '32s to name a few so I'm abit careful when handling these. Like the others had mentioned, a quick and drastic change in humidity or a mishandling was more likely your cause. Next time, throw them in a dry box and give it another go. Could be a total 180 for you or just not to your liking.

All Nigaraguan and Dominican tobaccos need to be kept at 65%! Can no one get this into their f'ing heads? DO NOT SMOKE A CIGAR UNTIL IT HAS SPENT A FEW MONTHS AT 65% HUMIDITY...or you may have burn and draw issues!

70% is so damn old school... this is one thing you should not have learned from your grandpa.

-Fetter

All Nigaraguan and Dominican tobaccos need to be kept at 65%! Can no one get this into their f'ing heads? DO NOT SMOKE A CIGAR UNTIL IT HAS SPENT A FEW MONTHS AT 65% HUMIDITY...or you may have burn and draw issues!

70% is so damn old school... this is one thing you should not have learned from your grandpa.

-Fetter

Wow

Now tell us how you really feel :D

Tim