• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Taxes collected on on-line sales..............8k!

Wow!

My understanding was that tobacco taxes were the sellers responsibility, not they buyers? Guess I was wrong.

You will notifce that a common thread throughout the article was cigarettes and not cigars. However, it can't be too much longer until they come after us too. I wonder . . . when they do start hitting the internet purchases of cigars for state taxes, how far back can they go???

This statement also bothers me . . .

While the taxes can add up fast for someone buying cigarettes from out of state, it's the $10 per pack -- or $100 per carton -- "possession penalty" that really hurts

Seems the worst tobacco gouging is not on Fuentes but rather on the government for cigarettes. :sign:

sucks to live in washington these days. hey, at least the supersonics are good this year....... :laugh:

correct me if i'm wrong but.......I believe all online purchases that has not been taxed (not only tobacco) has to be reported to the state for tax collections.

We are about to lose them to Oklahoma if we don't come up with a new stadium....the owners said they need 360 million for that ...half of which is from TAX revenue!!!!!!!........I'm so sick of being taxed up here. My property tax has gone up to $6000. :angry: Oh!, and our roads SUCK!.....OK , enough bichin'...sorry

sucks to live in washington these days. hey, at least the supersonics are good this year....... :laugh:

correct me if i'm wrong but.......I believe all online purchases that has not been taxed (not only tobacco) has to be reported to the state for tax collections.

Correct, is is called the use tax. Here is the link to the Washington Department of Revenue:

WA Use Tax Info

I was told by the owner of a B&M shop that I know that last year that this stuff was happening. He warned me if I get a bill for taxes, don't be surprised and i see that what he warned me about has started to come true. Uh-oh....Oh wait...I'm retired and no one can garnish my money. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good luck to the rest tho. :thumbs:

I heard from a birdie that the government is trying to pass a bill that is for a flat tax for all internet purchases including tobacco.

Just what the government needs... more money to waste.
NOT!

Let's see... a rainforest in Iowa? Next they'll want oceanfront property in Iowa,
and the government will build the canal to provide the salt water.

I've got it! If you want to see the ocean in Iowa... JOIN THE NAVY!
LOL

Chemyst

I received the following letter from the MN Dept of Revenue the day after Christmas:

MINNESOTA. REVENUE

December 19, 2006

Khris Lassard
3214 Oakland Ave S Minneapolis, MN 55407

Re: Untaxed tobacco purchased from: Rocky's Wholesale Cigars

Our records indicate that you purchased tobacco from mail order companies that do not pay the Minnesota tobacco taxes & fees. Under Minnesota law (M.S.S. 297F), if you buy untaxed tobacco outside Minnesota through mail order, you must pay tobacco tax, individual use tax and the health impact fee when you bring tobacco into the state.

The tobacco excise tax rate is 35% of the cost of the tobacco and the health impact fee is 35% of the cost of the tobacco. The health impact fee must be paid on purchases made after August 1, 2005.

Enclosed is a blank return (CT 303) for you to calculate the tobacco use tax due on the purchases. This form is due by January 9. 2007. Failure to send a tax return when required may result in the <l;ssessment of penalty and interest. You may also download forms from our website: http://www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/special/tobacco/forms/BA T 2000013 .pdf

A return must be filed for each month in which tobacco purchases were made. Please send the completed returns with your remittance to Nick Allen at the following address.

Minnesota Department of Revenue Special Taxes Division
P.O. Box 7033
St Paul, MN 55107

Included was a form (supposed to be filled out for every month you have made tobacco purchases on line) requiring one to list all purchases for a given month, name of the place/s you purchased from, dates of purchase and invoice numbers of all purchases. There is a $100 exemption (annually or monthly?). Also included was instructions for form CT303 that detailed how to calculate interest and penalties. I ended up costing me $43.31 for a $199.00 purchase (yes, for cigars) that I made two years ago. I figure I got off very easy. I don't know how they know or why they only inquired about the one purchase, but if they ever catch up with the rest I'm fucked.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

Oh man Swifty...That sucks but like you said. You got off easy. The guy that warned me had a customed that owed $800 in taxes and was due in 2 weeks of the official letter. :(

It's scary to think that the state has access to your purchase info. The only way I could think of how they could find info like that is acess to your credit card purchase history....or they had busted the vendor that you made the purchase from. :(

I received the following letter from the MN Dept of Revenue the day after Christmas:

MINNESOTA. REVENUE

December 19, 2006

Khris Lassard
3214 Oakland Ave S Minneapolis, MN 55407

Re: Untaxed tobacco purchased from: Rocky's Wholesale Cigars

Our records indicate that you purchased tobacco from mail order companies that do not pay the Minnesota tobacco taxes & fees. Under Minnesota law (M.S.S. 297F), if you buy untaxed tobacco outside Minnesota through mail order, you must pay tobacco tax, individual use tax and the health impact fee when you bring tobacco into the state.

The tobacco excise tax rate is 35% of the cost of the tobacco and the health impact fee is 35% of the cost of the tobacco. The health impact fee must be paid on purchases made after August 1, 2005.

Enclosed is a blank return (CT 303) for you to calculate the tobacco use tax due on the purchases. This form is due by January 9. 2007. Failure to send a tax return when required may result in the <l;ssessment of penalty and interest. You may also download forms from our website: http://www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/special/tobacco/forms/BA T 2000013 .pdf

A return must be filed for each month in which tobacco purchases were made. Please send the completed returns with your remittance to Nick Allen at the following address.

Minnesota Department of Revenue Special Taxes Division
P.O. Box 7033
St Paul, MN 55107

Included was a form (supposed to be filled out for every month you have made tobacco purchases on line) requiring one to list all purchases for a given month, name of the place/s you purchased from, dates of purchase and invoice numbers of all purchases. There is a $100 exemption (annually or monthly?). Also included was instructions for form CT303 that detailed how to calculate interest and penalties. I ended up costing me $43.31 for a $199.00 purchase (yes, for cigars) that I made two years ago. I figure I got off very easy. I don't know how they know or why they only inquired about the one purchase, but if they ever catch up with the rest I'm fucked.

:angry: :angry: :angry:

I personally would speak to a tax attorney, and ask them to prove it. It sounds like they are trolling, seeking your self-incriminating evidence in order to extract payment from you. Up to you, but I'd be tempted to call their bluff and fight 'em on it.

I personally would speak to a tax attorney, and ask them to prove it. It sounds like they are trolling, seeking your self-incriminating evidence in order to extract payment from you. Up to you, but I'd be tempted to call their bluff and fight 'em on it.

I just went ahead and paid it since it was the only purchase I ever made from that company. A friend of mine who has a business setting up and maintaining computer networks has been audited by both the state and the feds. He told me that you don't want to fuck with the state. He said that the feds will negotiate but the state are absolute Nazis. I figured better to "admit to one lie and continue another" so to speak. Hopefully by paying up on this one I avoid attracting more attention to myself. Since I only ever made that one purchase from that company I'm hoping that they may figure that it was an isolated incident that maybe it was just a gift.

Incidentally when I called Rocky's to get the invoice number on the purchase they told me that they thought it odd that I was the third Minnesotan that week to call them for invoice numbers for tax purposes. They said that they wondered what the state of MN was up too. It is a mystery to me how the state discovered purchases by Minnesotans from that specific company. I personally don't know anyone else here who has received one of these letters.