• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tell us about your town

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
I saw this as an old thread from back in the early days of CigarPass but I thought it would be interesting to do it again.

The idea here is to give a brief description of the town you live in. Here's mine:

The population of my town, Chaplin is 2253, which is very small. Of the 169 towns in Connecticut, there are only 15 towns smaller than us. This is a typical New England town with the center designated as a historic district with most houses there being built in the early 1800’s, We are ten minutes away from the University of Connecticut’s main campus therefore many people who live here work there. There are stone fences or stone walls lining every road from when the land was cleared in the early 1800’s for farming. The Natchaug River which runs through the middle of town has some of the best trout fishing in the state. We have two gas stations, two traffic lights, two restaurants and two liquor stores and that’s about it. Even though we’re in the “styx” so-to-speak, the next town over is a small city (an old mill town) with about 20,000 people. I’m 45 minutes from Hartford, 1 ½ hours from Boston and 2 ½ from New York City. The closest cigar shops are over a half an hour away :(

I live in Rochester, NY

The home of Eastman Kodak, Bausch & Lomb, Xerox, and Paychex to name a few. It is 3hrs from Toronto, we get alot of snow, and the summers are usually decent. I am 6+ hrs from Boston, 6+ hours from NYC, and 6+ hours from Philly.

We have at least 3 good cigar shops that I frequent, and a bar you can smoke in (NY is a smoke free state) :) . I however am moving to Baltimore in two weeks and am packing up things.

Anyone from Baltimore/DC?

For that matter any of you CP'ers from PA going to the Lehigh/Laf. football game this weekend? I will be there for an Alumni gathering :)

Ludwig van!

I live in Rockville, MD

I don't know the population but it's mostly known as one of the larger and nicer suburbs of DC. It is also the county seat of Montgomery County, MD so the downtown is full of municipal and court buildings. It's incorporated so the smokign ban which has hit the county is still being mulled by the city, but it will probably pass.

We have a couple of Metro stops, which is great, and LOTS of stores, a shopping mall, and a couple tobacconists. Funny thing is I haven't been to either yet! I've been to Davidus in Gaithersburg (next town up) and JR and Drapers downtown. Those three and the internet pretty much serve my needs.

Rockville is the home of Mayorga coffee! Haven't been to the HQ yet but there is a factory in Silver Spring which is awesome.

That's all I can think of right now.

Here's a link to the official site with all the vitals.:

http://www.rockvillemd.gov/profile.htm

I'm in Clifton Forge Va. A small town on the side of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Pop of about 4000 and falling. Not much here except the RailRoad, which isn't always a bad thing. We have almost no crime, wonderfull views, clean air, and low taxes. Closest tobacco shop is 48 miles (Roanoke) so the internet is my friend. Within 1 1/2 hours is Blacksburg (VaTech) Charlottesville (UVA) Lexington (VMI) so I'm not really that far out in the sticks. Plus there isn't a tobacco tax here yet. :thumbs:

I live in Alburtis PA
Population (year 2000): 2,117
Males: 1,056 (49.9%), Females: 1,061 (50.1%)

Elevation: 560 feet

County: Lehigh

Land area: 0.7 square miles

Zip code: 18011

Median resident age: 33.3 years
Median household income: $52,361
Median house value: $98,500

We have no local cigar shop but Cigar international is about 20 min and Famous smoke shop is about 30 min from here. We do have 1 gas station/mini mart, 1 bar, 1 pizza place, 1 bank, 1 church, 1 hair salon, and 1 vet. I have lived here about 2 years before that was from NW indiana.

Birmingham, AL.

This is the largest city in the state and is the home of several hospitals, clinics and the like. Started off as a steel production city, this is now a medical center in the SE known for it's sports medicine and medical break throughs.

Overall the city is ugly in comparrison to other places I have lived and been to. Hilly and very green, I will admit that this city does look good in the fall when the leaves change color - various tones of green, brown, orange and red. Outside of that though, it's an ugly city.

City politics is pretty ugly and a joke. Rather than revolving around political parties, it revolves around who can make the best smear campaign against the other opponents - but then again that's pretty much standard here in AL.

There are several suburbs around Birmingham, and traffic during rush hours is as bad as any place in CA or NY or other major cities. This city has literally outgrown it's transportation system. The only difference is that most traffic you will be out of within only an hour - and that due to the relatively small area. Keep in mind that one hour will get you about 15-20 miles at the most during these times.

Sam

Ellman said:
...We have no local cigar shop but Cigar international is about 20 min and Famous smoke shop is about 30 min from here...
Around these parts, that's right next door :D

Besides me, there are about 999 people in my "village" and most of 'em are old farts, farmers or both. We have a lake, actually two of 'em at the moment, since my backyard is under water right now, but neither one has many fish. We have a park that has a pretty nice playground for the kids and some ballfields, which have my competitors light fixtures on them. They put up a new truck stop earlier this year and it has a McDonald's attached, so we are pretty happy about that, always wanted a Big Mac in my backyard. They're in the process of building a new post office that will actually have off street parking and we have one restraunt where the farmers can come to wait for their government subsidies. The town was dry until this year and now we have two liquor liscense holders (truck stop and restraunt), which will cut down on the druks driving between here and the next town over. Never been to the restraunt so couldn't tell ya' if it's good or not, but I'm guessing the fried chicken is probably fair to good, since some days the street is filled with patrons and others it is not. Besides the somewhat peace and quiet of the village, we have a very nice school system. The junior high is brand new, as is the high school. The grade school is in the next town over and is getting a facelift too. It's amazing what five times the taxes I used to pay are actually going to something my family will use, or at least my kids will. We've been here about a year and really enjoy living here. But, my next house is going to be out away from everyone in the woods somewhere. By that time though, it may be next to impossible to find any woods.

I live in Norton Kansas.

It is a very small town in the north west corner of Kansas. We are 11 miles from the Nebraska border to the north and just a little over 100 miles from colorado to the west. Almost exactly half way between Denver and Kansas City which are about 330 miles or so east and west of us. The nearest Wal-Mart is 60 miles away in McCook Nebraska. Don't even ask about the nearest cigar store. The smoke shop in McCook does have a warm dry closet they keep a few philly blunts in.

The town is very small at only about 3000 people, but is the county seat of Norton County which has about 6000 people in it. The high school football team, the Blue Jays, has been undefeated the last two seasons in a row except for the two regional playoff games that ended those seasons. The BB Gun teams very regularly win national titles. I actually went to high school in Lenora, kansas here in Norton county. 800 people and we played 8 man football. The highschool in lenora has since closed.

The area primarily grows wheat, two crops a year, milo, used mostly to feed livestock, plus some feed corn and sunflowers used for oil. Its too dry to irigate and grow corn or sunflowers for human consumption. We also raise a lot of cattle. The county is a large geographical area about 30 miles on each side. The county roads are all straight north-south, east-west and are spaced one mile apart creating large 1 sqaure mile blocks of ground called sections. Each section contain 640 acres. Most people talk about land in terms of sections, such as 1/2 sections, or 1/4 sections and such.

Kansas is known for being flat but this area is mostly rough broken ground. Not many hills, but lots of draws and valleys around. Not many trees either except what is planted as wind breaks around farm houses or along fence lines. This does produce some very good hunting conditions though. I usually shoot two muley deer every firearms season the first week and half of December. We also have great pheasant hunting and the town usually fills over flowing with pheasant hunters every year. The dove and quial hunting is also good if you like upland game birds. For waterfowl we usually have lots of ducks at the resevoir and enough geese to have at least have hunters show up for them. Other counties near by have better goose hunting then we do though.

The weather is very hot in summer and cold in winter. 110 degrees or so to several inches of snow each year. We tend to have hail very regularly, and we are part of an area known as tornado alley because they are so common around here. I have seen a few funnel clouds myself and the path of tornadoes lots of times.

Its an ok place to live I supose, but I would definatly move if I didn't have so much family in the area. My mother and father and I were all born in this county.

Dearborn Heights, Michigan here. Not much here in this suburb of Detroit, Dearborn Heights is mainly a residential city that was incorporated in 1963. We have a population of roughly 60,000. I have several tobacco shops to choose from that are within 5 minutes to about 15 to 20 minutes from my house and I still do support my local merchants. Dearborn heights is primarily a blue collar place, I'd say middle class economically. We rely a lot on the auto industry for jobs, but that part of the economy is slow here at the moment.

I live in a van, down by the river!!!!!!

Buwahahahahahahahahahaha

Seriously, Richmond, Va. is the capital and I'm not sure what the population is but there are quite a few people here. I live in the suburbs, west end, which is very nice and one of the more desireable places to live. Schools are great in my district. There are many malls and restaraunts close by as well. Downtown has it's historic places, being the capital of the Confederacy and all. Nice restaraunts and clubs that were once warehouses. The James River runs right through downtown, very good white water sports and fishing there.

Downsides are lots of crime, high per capita murder rate, etc.

The place where our herf was just this past Saturday had a murder at 2am, right up the street.

Very sad, but it's home.... :D

Leebo8-9-8 said:
The place where our herf was just this past Saturday had a murder at 2am, right up the street.

And Will and I were worried about the Inn of Virginia! :D

I live in Logan, Ohio.

Better known has THE HOCKING HILLS Region of Ohio, Located in Hocking county.

Well known for the beautiful fall colors of the many types of trees here. The Hocking River flows through my back yard that is backed up against The Wayne National Forrest. The town was origanaly founded by Thomas Worthington(dont know when). Big industries, Smead Paper Co., G.E., Carbarundum Grinding Wheel, and some of the best camping in the states. The only famous person from Logan I know of is, Katie Smith= Ladies Pro Basketball. No cigar shops at all, but I plan to change that this spring. Logan is very well known for its many state parks and the bed & breakfest business. Besides all of that, I've only been here for 8 years and living about 3 miles outside of town, I find it very relaxing. To find out more about Logan, Bug the crap out of Kurtcigar1, he is the history buff about this two horse town.

Shadow said:
Leebo8-9-8 said:

Yeah, your hotel had all of the hookers!! LMAO :sign:

Leebo8-9-8 said:
Shadow said:
Leebo8-9-8 said:

Yeah, your hotel had all of the hookers!! LMAO :sign:
:sign: :sign: :sign: :sign:

I live in the country but the closest town has one stop sign and a miniminigrocery.
20 miles to the nearest walmart.
Tippecanoe
Indiana