• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Terminology

ZiZiJohn

Hey guys, I have a newbie question. As I read through old passes, I've been seeing a lot of the terms "premium" and "super-premium." I certainly understand that some cigars are rarer and more valuable than others, but it often seems as though there's a more specific definition for each of these--one that eludes me completely. Are they subjective terms that you all agree on, or do they have specific meanings?

Thanks for your help.

John

It's marketing speak and bears no correlation, in general, to the quality of the cigar or the smoking experience.

Wilkey

All subjective.

Example...

Lets compare two cigars to be had. The popular Padron 1926 serie and the elusive Opus X whatever vitola. These two can be called super premiums based on quality of smoke, however one is considerably limited as compared to the other. However, others might consider the Padron 1926 Serie to be a regular premium and the Opus X a super premium when incorporating the rarity and high demand.

Another comparison would be to consider any of the Arturo Fuentes (regular line such as Chateau Fuente) to a Punch Champion. These two cigars can be called premiums based on again the quality of the smoke. Again, being subjective, some might call just the Chateau Fuente line premiums and the easily overlooked Punch Champion a yardgar.

When I purchase sticks from a retailer, either online or at a local B&M, I ignore everything that eludes to the word premium, much to the same effect as if they were to describe a smoke as "Full Bodied". These (imo) are just terms to spice up a cigar to the height of adoration. Once you start actually looking at cigars, you can get a sense of what good tobacco is. How it smells, feels, tastes, and from there you can draw your own conclusions as to what a (super) premium should be.

If it isn't a Opus X, then its not a "Premium" smoke to me. Thus proving its all subjective. :laugh:

So when the rules of a pass say "Premium for Premium," it's basically a reiteration of "Value for Value and Rarity for Rarity"? Seems a little redundant in that case.

I really don't mean to be snarky or obtuse here, I'm just trying to figure things out... I too had considered words like "premium" to be the smoke and mirrors of marketing. Thanks for your help, guys.

So when the rules of a pass say "Premium for Premium," it's basically a reiteration of "Value for Value and Rarity for Rarity"? Seems a little redundant in that case.

I really don't mean to be snarky or obtuse here, I'm just trying to figure things out... I too had considered words like "premium" to be the smoke and mirrors of marketing. Thanks for your help, guys.

Yes!

Brian

Premium = expensive
Super Premium = very expensive

:)

So when the rules of a pass say "Premium for Premium," it's basically a reiteration of "Value for Value and Rarity for Rarity"?
In all honesty, this is probably the simplest and best way I've ever seen/heard it explained.

The AngryFish Method of Determining Premium vs. Super Premium

If you find yourself thinking about buying the cigar all day and do the "pee-pee dance" waiting for your order to arrive... thats a super premium.

If you find yourself thinking about buying the cigar all day but are impartial to its arrival... thats a premium

If you find yourself buying a cigar and laughing the whole time because you are going to deband it and give it to someone else who mooches super-permiums from you... thats priceless!

Fish