• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Testing the musical waters...

dragoondingus

As a new member at CP, I'm not sure how the musical tastes generally run here. So, I'm testing the waters.

Next week I'm heading to a David Bazan show (used to be frontman in Pedro the Lion). Later this month I'm heading to ATL for The Decemberists. Any fans of these 2 here?

As a new member at CP, I'm not sure how the musical tastes generally run here. So, I'm testing the waters.

Next week I'm heading to a David Bazan show (used to be frontman in Pedro the Lion). Later this month I'm heading to ATL for The Decemberists. Any fans of these 2 here?

Honestly, my musical life has not been different since the day I bought "Control" by Pedro the Lion. That album truely changed the way I look at music and lyric-writing.

The Crane Wife is a great album, I still prefer the older one a bit more, but the Decembrists are a great band. I bet they are stellar live.

Crap, I must be getting old as I've never heard of any of those bands. Some of the names that come to mind for me are Foreignor, Kansas, Rolling Stones, MC5, Stranglers, Def Leppard...

Wilkey

Crap, I must be getting old as I've never heard of any of those bands. Some of the names that come to mind for me are Foreignor, Kansas, Rolling Stones, MC5, Stranglers, Def Leppard...

Wilkey

nothing wrong with oldies. I am a huge fan of Boston, 10 Years After, Neil Young, etc. Good things have come from every decade of music.

Wilkey
MC5? You ain't that flippin old. I saw them open for Led Zeplin at the old Boston Garden in '69.

Doc.

Led Zeppelin Doc. The mind is the second thing to go you know. :p

RIP Fred "Sonic" Smith

I wasn't able to spell when I was young. Besides my degree ain't in spelling. ;)

Doc.

Wilkey

nothing wrong with oldies. I am a huge fan of Boston, 10 Years After, Neil Young, etc. Good things have come from every decade of music.

Wow, Boston. How about Zebra, Allman Brothers, Molly Hatchet (FWD, baby!), ELO?

It's time to kick out the jams, m#@)#$*$*!

Doc, I saw Flock of Seagulls and Pat Benatar in 1982. Does that count? ;)

Wilkey

Please tell me what kind of music this is. Any other bands that I may be able to relate the sound?

I am a Deadhead/parrothead who listens to jam bands. Willing to give anything a chance to tickle my earbones.

I would classify them as Indie Rock. They do a lot of different things like lyrics in a first person narrative and storytelling point of view. They are kind of an acquired taste IMHO. Not necessarily a band that you hear one song and fall in love with. Linky

Anything but country and western!

Country and western will destroy a stero faster than anything :laugh:

Elwood: What kind of music do you usually have here?
Claire: Oh, we got both kinds. We got country, and western.

The Blues Brothers - 1980

B.B.S.

Honestly, my musical life has not been different since the day I bought "Control" by Pedro the Lion. That album truely changed the way I look at music and lyric-writing.

The Crane Wife is a great album, I still prefer the older one a bit more, but the Decembrists are a great band. I bet they are stellar live.

"Control" is an amazing album. David Bazan's solo EP "Fewer Moving Parts" is really good as well. It's 10 songs - the 1st 5 are fully produced and the 2nd 5 are just the 1st 5 totally acoustic.

I'm really excited about both shows. I'll be happy so long as The D's play "The Island."

Robbmt - As denverdog stated, indie rock is indeed a good classification for these bands, but indie rock can be lots of things. The Decemberists tend more towards the "odd" end, with lots of organ, synths, and songs about maritime revenge. Pedro is a little more "traditional" in their lyrics/instrumentation.

I saw Flock of Seagulls and Pat Benatar in 1982. Does that count? ;)

Wilkey
don't even tell me you had that same hairstyle as the lead singer of flock of seagulls Wilkey...i would want to see the pics of that. i saw the fixx once, and omd.
i was a mullet head back in the day, but will never admit to it :p. i remember (sort of) seeing the pyromania tour for def leppard, iron maiden, judas priest, anthrax, metallica (8x), scorpions, dio, ozzy with randy rhodes, deep purple, rush (12x) and the list goes on. ah the foggy memories ;)

"Control" is an amazing album. David Bazan's solo EP "Fewer Moving Parts" is really good as well. It's 10 songs - the 1st 5 are fully produced and the 2nd 5 are just the 1st 5 totally acoustic.

I'm really excited about both shows. I'll be happy so long as The D's play "The Island."

Robbmt - As denverdog stated, indie rock is indeed a good classification for these bands, but indie rock can be lots of things. The Decemberists tend more towards the "odd" end, with lots of organ, synths, and songs about maritime revenge. Pedro is a little more "traditional" in their lyrics/instrumentation.

yea I have the new ep. Its good, I still prefer his older stuff a bit more, but he still is a great songwriter. My favorite line from the new album:

"A white ghost makes his way down the west coast looking for a vagina or two" lol

I saw Flock of Seagulls and Pat Benatar in 1982. Does that count? ;)

Wilkey
don't even tell me you had that same hairstyle as the lead singer of flock of seagulls Wilkey...i would want to see the pics of that. i saw the fixx once, and omd.
i was a mullet head back in the day, but will never admit to it :p. i remember (sort of) seeing the pyromania tour for def leppard, iron maiden, judas priest, anthrax, metallica (8x), scorpions, dio, ozzy with randy rhodes, deep purple, rush (12x) and the list goes on. ah the foggy memories ;)
I never wore the "flock" but I was a punk in college. Chains, dog collar, denim, studs, slam dancing, the whole deal. I even went so far as to dye my hair purple one semester.

Oh man, Judas Priest! I loved those guys: Living after Midnight, Breaking the Law, and my fave, You've Got Another Thing Coming... Scorpions, Ozzy, Rush...all great rocking music!

Wilkey

I thought, but could be wrong, that The Decemberists were connected to, or some side-tangent-affiliated project of Conor Oberst (i.e., Bright Eyes). Haven't paid that much attention to them actually. In that genre, I've always prefered "Smog"/Bill Callahan (not of Tommy Boy fame...lol) and The Blue Nile for my melancholy anyway...assuming I want to listen to something other than The Smiths.

geez guys i think half of these songs/bands are from before i was born

I thought, but could be wrong, that The Decemberists were connected to, or some side-tangent-affiliated project of Conor Oberst (i.e., Bright Eyes). Haven't paid that much attention to them actually. In that genre, I've always prefered "Smog"/Bill Callahan (not of Tommy Boy fame...lol) and The Blue Nile for my melancholy anyway...assuming I want to listen to something other than The Smiths.

As far as I know, the Decemberists and Conor Oberst aren't related except that they get lumped into the same category by DJs who don't really listen to either...the Oberst related band you're thinking of is probably Tilly and the Wall. They're his old band mates.

Back