• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Thank you Cigar Pass

Undegreed

You're unique...just like everyone else
I just wanted to give a quick thanks to this community for saving me from myself. I just returned from a vacation on Isla Mujeres (Small island just off of Cancun, Mexico). Before I left I did a quick search on CP for "Isla Mujeres" to see if there were any reputable cigar shops on the island. There were 2 hits. 1 was inconsequential the other said don't buy cigars anywhere on the island...they are all dog turds. My wife, bless her heart, found numerous shops on the island, via various internet searches, that said the cigars, especially, Cubans were authentic and cheap. In the end I told her I was going to trust this community over Google.

Upon arriving on the island and walking down through the tourist shops I was bombarded by the locals selling Cubans cheap. Most of the cigars I saw were the same "samplers" I've seen posted on CP and denounced as fakes. I found my best response was to ask for Nicaraguan's or Dominican's, after which they would just say no...although one savvy salesmen asked if I had a joint.

So thanks CP. And remember, search is your friend.

It's a pity that you go out of country hoping to try a famous name stick and wind up with nothing but trash.  But it is nice that you are aware of that potential and what to look for  because of CP.  Great info here.

How did you like the Island? The wife and I stayed in Playa Mujeres back in October and traveled over to the Island for a swimming with the dolphins excursions. We did a little shopping tour through most likely the same market as you guys. It was very funny how they all had the glass top sampler packs. I picked one up for shits and giggles to try them and see how they were. The smokes weren't too bad for what I paid ($10 for 5 I think). Gary (ironpeddler) really helped me out before I left for that trip and I knew what I was getting was fake. I have been to many parts of Mexico and the Caribbean and your best bet is to just save your money. The only luck I have had is in the cigar lounge in the resort. I usually go with the Bolivar Beli Fino since I know that CC the best and I was satisfied. However the price is not satisfying...LOL. I am going to Riviera Maya next week and will be packing my smokes to take this year. As for the trip the boat ride to the island that day was GREAT! Beautiful blue water great music and drinking games on the ride lots of fun!

Hope you had a great trip,
Paul

Paul we had a great time. It was the first time for either of us leaving the USA so we were intially a little weary. When we got to the airport in Cancun we made the mistake of talking with a young man who seemed to be well informed about our transportation. However about 10 minutes into our conversation I realized he was trying to sell us a time share. Lesson learned. We did some snorkling (absolutely amazing), a lot of walking and a lot of window shopping. I was a little disappointed in the americanized Mexican food, although it was still tastey.

Thanks for asking.

Great to hear that you stayed away from the famous glass top cigars!

I recently inspected a house for a client and came across a glass top box of Cohiba's. When I informed the owner of the house that his box was fake he got really defensive, taking that "you don't know what the f$#k you're talking about" tone with me. So I dropped it. I could then hear Mr. more money than sense snickering and muttering something to his buddy behind my back......... Jokes on him!

Aholes get what they deserve. You were simply trying to offer a helping hand. I by no means am a Habanos expert, but sit sometimes and smile a bit at the sheer thought of how many people that know no better have vast amounts of "limited edition" and glass top boxes of Habanos.

Sad, but hey as is life.

C

jfields said:
I recently inspected a house for a client and came across a glass top box of Cohiba's. When I informed the owner of the house that his box was fake he got really defensive, taking that "you don't know what the f$#k you're talking about" tone with me. So I dropped it. I could then hear Mr. more money than sense snickering and muttering something to his buddy behind my back......... Jokes on him!

Too funny!  I hope he has better judgment in houses than cigars.

jfields said:
He's probably just trying to save face in front of his friends. Other possibility, it was a gift from his friends. But he probably knows that it's fake now.